Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World War Z

United States

World War Z

Holy crap this would make a fantastic movie...

Anyone else read it?

Administrator

England
    Is it good? Everyone seems to rave about it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States

Wwz

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Is it good? Everyone seems to rave about it!
    It's fantastic. Where Mr. Brook's Survival manual on handling the dead was written in a somewhat campy manner, WWZ deals with the aftermath of the zombie war, personal stories taken from survivors of the plague that nearly wiped out humanity.

The Great Panic explained in detail the world's response to the zombie epidemic, the single-mindedness of the walking dead, and individual nation's responses to the attacks. The entire book is written in a interview style format, and much of it was chilling. The visual imagery painted in my head of half frozen zombies, just starting to thaw and struggling to get out of their ice prisons was fantastic! The battle of Yonkers... the list goes on and on.

If you haven't yet read this book, you should.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrtr View Post
    It's fantastic. Where Mr. Brook's Survival manual on handling the dead was written in a somewhat campy manner, WWZ deals with the aftermath of the zombie war, personal stories taken from survivors of the plague that nearly wiped out humanity.

The Great Panic explained in detail the world's response to the zombie epidemic, the single-mindedness of the walking dead, and individual nation's responses to the attacks. The entire book is written in a interview style format, and much of it was chilling. The visual imagery painted in my head of half frozen zombies, just starting to thaw and struggling to get out of their ice prisons was fantastic! The battle of Yonkers... the list goes on and on.

If you haven't yet read this book, you should.
    Cereval said you could get it in audio book format?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    I just got my copy in today. I am currently reading One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon, but as soon as I am finished with that one I'm gonna start reading World War Z.
    Bret Jordan

Just been bitten UndeadAnthology's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I really need to read this one. Just haven't had time yet.

Jacob

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just finished the dark tower series not five minutes ago so i guess i finally have something else to check out with this.

England
    I was a little sceptical about reading this at first because the format of the survival guide didn't hold my interest at all. WWZ is a completely different beast. Its the first book for years that i have read again within days of finishing it. It really is that good. Everybody on this forum should get something from it.

It would make a superb mini series with a similar style to Band of Brothers. Consolidating it into a movie worries me a bit because of the scale and style of the book but it needs to be put on the screen in some form.

In terms of the audiobook, we can't get it in the UK.

To anyone that has read WWZ all im going to say is

YONKERS

The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    To anyone that has read WWZ all im going to say is

YONKERS

SAND LAKES PROVINCIAL WILDERNESS PARK, MANITOBA CANADA

I couldn't decide what was worse... the human survivors or the zombie plague...

True hunger....

England
    That is probably my 2nd favourite chapter of the book. Horrifying without Brooks needing to say graphically how desperate they had become. The space station section is top notch as well, not to mention the sub part. i could go on and on and on about this book

I almost forgot the downed pilot as well and the .....................................

No i'll stop right there otherwise i'll have to read it for a third time
    Last edited by kidgloves; 02-Dec-2006 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    That is probably my 2nd favourite chapter of the book. Horrifying without Brooks needing to say graphically how desperate they had become. The space station section is top notch as well, not to mention the sub part. i could go on and on and on about this book

I almost forgot the downed pilot as well and the .....................................

No i'll stop right there otherwise i'll have to read it for a third time
    That's why I think this would make a fantastic movie. Imagine all of the flashback sequences...(Of course, that's how it would have to be done) plus he hints that the problem isn't over... just controlled... for now...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    id much rather get a band of brothers type series than another zombie film, im kinda getting sick of em all cus they all have to spend the 1st 30 mins setting up there on mythos or some such crap.
    so id prefer a zombie tv series, maybe based on the walking dead, cus i prefer people to gore in zombie movies.

England
    The only objection i'd have against the movie, which is coming in 2008, is all the sections of the book that would be cut out to satisfy the running time for the multiplex's.
    How about a movie to launch the story then a spin off tv series (HBO?) telling the individual stories of the survivors. Now that would be zombie heaven

For now just give me The Great Panic and Total War on screen and i'll be happy.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Just read it. A great read. I'm gonna read it again.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Administrator

England
    Is it a long read?
    -Carl Sagan