Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man's Best Friend

United States

Man's Best Friend

You know, GAR never really touched upon what happened to animals in his series. And, I'm not talking about whether or not they would rise...

In Dawn, we get a brief glimpse of hunters walking bloodhounds through the fields, stuff like that... But, LAND takes place pretty far into the rise from what we see. Where are the animals? No one has any pets in the Green?

In THE STAND, King gives us the explanation that Captain Trips also kills off horses and dogs. I found that to be an excuse to simply leave them out of the story, which was fine...

I dunno, I've seen what can happen when cats and dogs get loose and begin to form packs...so, I'm curious: What do you think the long term effects would be?

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    You only occasionaly see the animals that haven't been domesticated, but cats and dogs should be everywhere. In Night and Dawn and Day they haven't had time to multiply (4 - 6 month gestation I think). As for Land, after three years, have they have lost their inherent instinct of begging humans for food? Regained a wild animal's fear of humans?
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States
    zombie squirrels????
    A penny for the old guy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by radiokill View Post
    As for Land, after three years, have they have lost their inherent instinct of begging humans for food? Regained a wild animal's fear of humans?
    Yet, I would lean more towards the theory that an animal that had become un-domesticated might be geared more towards scavaging than actual hunting...

And while I could conceive of cats as shunning humans outright, I find it difficult to imagine dogs doing the same for many, many years.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    Yet, I would lean more towards the theory that an animal that had become un-domesticated might be geared more towards scavaging than actual hunting...

And while I could conceive of cats as shunning humans outright, I find it difficult to imagine dogs doing the same for many, many years.
    Right. And the best hunting dogs are the most loyal to humans, too. However, my dogs and cats are fed plenty, but kill birds and rodents. They haven't lost the ability to hunt. So I'd imagine that they would hunt and scavenge. I'd have to ask Jack Hannah or somebody about how long it would take for dogs to "forget" about humans .

I was just thinking about why we didn't any critters on the recon missions. I forgot about the pet question.

I'm thinking the reason we don't see any critters is because Romero says on the Land commentary that he hasn't decided whether or not animals can become zombies. If they could, it would be harder to tell the infected from the not infected, and harder to defend the bites. So, that might explain pets.
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    You know, GAR never really touched upon what happened to animals in his series. And, I'm not talking about whether or not they would rise...
    If you listen to the commentary on the Land disc, GAR actually states that he would like to probe the subject of undead animals in 'the future'. Maybe the this will be addressed in Diary?

United States
    I dont think dogs would shun humans, They can tell the difference between live and dead pretty easy. Though they would avoid zombies because their bite is useless. If Zombies ate Bugs in NOTLD, would they eat dogs? That is id they even eat bugs anymre.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    If Zombies ate Bugs in NOTLD, would they eat dogs?
    In GAR's 1st draft screenplay for Dawn he introduced a lonely dog called Adam who is found wandering the mall. At the end, when Flyboy makes his way up the stairs, the dog barks and runs towards the zombies but is heard yelping when he disappears from view. Unless the poor thing got trampled on, I'm guessing they eat dogs too!

United States
    GAR has left alot open to the imaginings/wonderings of his viewers. Some of which is okay, but after four movies...you'd think he'd try and fill in some of the gaps?!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    there were zombie rats in a draft of land i read , it was just as big daddy and them was raiding fiddlers green they all came out the water or something, cholo shot one in half and the front half tried to keep going.

he says he wont have any but i reckon that'll change in diary

cus ahnds down zombie animals was the best addition to the zombie mythos resi delivered.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    cus ahnds down zombie animals was the best addition to the zombie mythos resi delivered.
    "Grrr..." *bang*
    "grrr..." *bang*
    "grrr..." *bang*
    "grrr..." *bang* "yelp!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    there were zombie rats in a draft of land i read , it was just as big daddy and them was raiding fiddlers green they all came out the water or something, cholo shot one in half and the front half tried to keep going.

he says he wont have any but i reckon that'll change in diary

If all the dead animals turned into zombies there is no way anyone could survive unless they only went after other animals.

I think Resident Evil was utterly lame. Im kinda surprised so many people like it. Is it becasue they like the game?

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    If all the dead animals turned into zombies there is no way anyone could survive unless they only went after other animals.

I think Resident Evil was utterly lame. Im kinda surprised so many people like it. Is it becasue they like the game?
    never thought about that....where are all the zombie dogs on the surface???? if that happened, nobody would live. except maybe somebody in a self-sufficient sealab surviing on various vegetation.............unless there was zombified vegetation!!!

United States
    never thought about that....where are all the zombie dogs on the surface???? if that happened, nobody would live. except maybe somebody in a self-sufficient sealab surviing on various vegetation.............unless there was zombified vegetation!!!
    Zombie roaches, zombie rats, mosquitos, worms, racoons, cats
    It's a stretch and it goes on and on

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think we just found out the backstory to sealab 2021