Thread: Wii troubles ?

United States

Wii troubles ?

Here's something I found this morning. It's an article for those who have their Wii already or those, like me, who plan on getting one in the future:

Did Wii break your TV?
    People aren't getting a grip on Nintendo's new system.
    By Mike Smith
    29 Nov 2006

Picture this. You're lining up the perfect shot in Wii Bowling, remote in hand. You set up the shot, swing the remote with all the strength you can muster, and... follow through a little more than you intended.

Somehow the remote leaves your sweaty-palmed grip and bang, smash, there goes your TV, window, photo of your granny, anything that happens to be in the path of the newly liberated remote.

Hold on, though. If you're wearing the (supplied) wrist strap, no harm done, right? So you'd think. As you can see, some Wii owners are finding the strap decidedly lacking. (Check out nascent site wiihaveaproblem.com for more strap malfunctions.) The problem isn't with the amply broad strap itself, but the considerably narrower section that connects the strap with the remote, which is prone to fray in some circumstances. The result is smashed remotes, smashed televisions, smashed windows, and unhappy (or, at least, somewhat red-faced) customers.

Teething hardware troubles are hardly new to the world of console launches, especially in the last year or so. The Xbox 360's original overheating issues are well documented, with the first production run of consoles suffering what is generally regarded to be an unusually high failure rate. We're even hearing the start of mutterings about overheating issues with some brand new PS3s. But it's probably the first time a console's design has lead --albeit indirectly -- to quite such a catalogue of destruction. To its credit, Nintendo appears to be happy to replace the wrist strap in some circumstances, but if there really is an underlying design weakness, then it needs to be addressed before an unfortunate (or worse, sue-happy) bystander gets beaned by a stray remote.

Sure, it's easy to laugh at the misfortune of these hapless Wii'ers, especially if you're still combing stores for miles around looking for yours. One broken strap could be regarded as misfortune, but as the volume of fractured straps grows, it starts to look more like carelessness -- or, at least, evidence of a lack of real-world testing.

In the meantime, wise Wii owners will want to consider hunting round the house for something a little stronger -- or waiting for one of the more opportunistic peripheral manufacturers to cash in on the opportunity to flog reinforced replacements at an inflated price. That's business.

Link to the story: http://videogames.yahoo.com/ongoingf...=494785&page=0

Undisclosed
    Yeah I saw that earlier...its hilarious...especially that big crack in his TV....

Apparently its just not cool to use the Wii wrist strap ...lol....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    Here's a picture of the damage to one TV:

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    heh i allready posted one from a few days after the launch the straps break easily and people tend to smash there tvs when bowling, the wiimote needs some kind of rubber grib on the underside to sort this out and a tough strap.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    heh i allready posted one from a few days after the launch the straps break easily and people tend to smash there tvs when bowling, the wiimote needs some kind of rubber grib on the underside to sort this out and a tough strap.
    Having some sort of rubberized grip on the back would seem like a very good idea . Work on an accessory & maybe you can become a rich man !!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    damn!, im posting free ideas all over this forum today, ...maybe i make thought pictures good more when no sleep have?

EDIT - im in a pretty balsy mood from lack of sleep so i did just send that idea off to nintendo via email,lol.
    who knows maybe ill save a lot of tvs in the process,lol.
    Last edited by Danny; 30-Nov-2006 at 07:22 PM.

Undisclosed
    They do sell Wii case covers....that can give the controllers interesting designs/colors..... also they would provide better grip than just the plastic..

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Undisclosed
    I never had a problem with my controller, but I am not careless, either.

Kazakhstan
    lol careless is the word, dont blame the wii!

i, like many people, tend to lunge from side to side and convulse when playing the ps2, but i've never yanked the controller so hard that it pulls the ps2 out from the cabinet onto the floor, which could potentially drag the tv with it...

some just get a bit excited i guess