Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diary of the Dead might suck.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed

Diary of the Dead might suck.

We have to accept reality here. Romero isn't getting any younger and the preliminary reports from Toronto, concerning Diary, aren't sounding too promising. Romero's age and health are becoming a factor, I think. His lungs and ticker are about to go, due to the fact he's been chainsmoking two packs a day for 50 years. Senility is catching up with him too, i'm afraid. It happens to all senior citizens.

If he fails to deliver on Diary, like he did with Land, then i'm writing him off completely. Two sub-par zombie films from the man who invented the modern zombie genre is unacceptable, and I hope he'll retire and bout out gracefully if Diary turns out as bad as Land did.

Romero needs his friends and fans to tell him to retire if Diary turns out the way I think it might. He doesn't need to diminish his reputation any further.

I think it's hard on aging people. Look at how many fighters attempt to make comebacks when they are far past their prime. I think Romero might be doing the same thing.

I could be proven wrong though. We'll wait and see the finished product, although i'm not entirely optomistic at the point.
    Last edited by Chaos; 12-Dec-2006 at 03:00 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    We have to accept reality here. Romero isn't getting any younger and the preliminary reports from Toronto, concerning Diary, aren't sounding too promising. Romero's age and health are becoming a factor, I think. His lungs and ticker are about to go, due to the fact he's been chainsmoking two packs a day for 50 years. Senility is catching up with him too, i'm afraid. It happens to all senior citizens.

pe he'll retire and bout out gracefully if Diary turns out as bad as Land did.
    Dude, he's like 65, not 80. and all old people DON"T go senile. The health thing, thats a factor, but senile?
    When he gives interviews he is totally on the ball.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Dude, he's like 65, not 80. and all old people DON"T go senile. The health thing, thats a factor, but senile?
    When he gives interviews he is totally on the ball.
    He will be sixty-seven in February. He's no spring chicken. He's my grandfather's age and my grandfather is a senile old bastard. I think Romero might be in the early stages of Alzheimers but i'm still not entirely sure about that. We'll have to wait and see how Diary pans out. But if it ends up sucking, i'm thinking senility or Alzheimer's will definitely be the reason why.

Sure, he seems sharp during interviews but so did Reagan during his speeches, and he had Alzheimer's during his second term and nobody was told about it until he was nearly dead.

Or we'll have to just accept the fact that maybe Romero is out of good ideas and unable to make quality movies anymore. Just look at Stephen King. He hasn't wrote anything worth a damn in a long time. The concept of "The Cell" was good but it failed to materialize into something special, like his older work.
    Last edited by Chaos; 12-Dec-2006 at 04:19 AM.

Undisclosed

If he fails to deliver on Diary, like he did with Land, then i'm writing him off completely. Two sub-par zombie films from the man who invented the modern zombie genre is unacceptable, and I hope he'll retire and bout out gracefully if Diary turns out as bad as Land did.

Man... get a clue. And FAST, please.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Administrator

England
    He's my grandfather's age and my grandfather is a senile old bastard.
    Maybe that's just something that runs in your family?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned User

Aaland

Maybe you should

start hanging with your own grand pappy then. if your grandfather is 65 then you are in your early 20's which explains for your lack of intelligence here.

sorry guys for anyone else who is in their 20's here, this was not directed towards you.

you keep sticking with this theory that if George craps out on this one the way he did with "land" then it must be senility. you are a moron my friend. everyone has a right to their opinion here but maybe Neil is right.......it runs in your family.

I didn't like "land" either, but watching george doing interview after interview, i highly doubt he has a senility problem, he may cheese out on "diary" like he did with "land" but it has nothing to do with him being 67 years old.

I for one am still a believer in good ole George and I do have faith in him, every director is allowed a cheeseball in their career....but I will still wait for the final product before I make any judgements.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Maybe that's just something that runs in your family?

Damn Neil, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Hey Chaos, how do you know he is senile? Describe the signs of senility. Have you ever talked to Romero on the set of Land or Diary? I am just curious what would make another person say that.

BTW, My father is 73 and as sharp as a ginzu knife. Just because the cheese slid off your grandfathers cracker at 65 doesn't mean everyone's will.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 12-Dec-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    My other half's grandmother is 94!!!! She has failing eye-sight and bad knees etc, but is still amazing "on the ball" considering her age!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    i think land has a very inteligent script.

Lord Howe Island

Wtf?!!?

Romero needs his friends and fans to tell him to retire if Diary turns out the way I think it might. He doesn't need to diminish his reputation any further.

I think it's hard on aging people. Look at how many fighters attempt to make comebacks when they are far past their prime. I think Romero might be doing the same thing.

I could be proven wrong though. We'll wait and see the finished product, although i'm not entirely optomistic at the point.
    I think your logic is crud...Its like "shooting the horse that got you there".
    Is GAR older-- yeah, so am I. Land may be the weakest of the 4 so far, but that does not discount his ability to make great movies on a limited budget. What would Land have been with a bigger budget and no ratings limitations by the studio and the MPAA?

A better film...but he did ok with the limits he was giving.

Yep, old George is always ok in my book-- if only for what he has given us...

War to the knife...the knife to the hilt.
    The end is f*cking nigh!!!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

I guess it's OK to be sceptical about the movie, but the reasons you're being sceptical don't make much sense in reality. To draw a comparison between being a film director and a firefighter is pretty ridiculous, to be honest...I mean, he's not actually fighting off zombies - he's seeing a project through and I'm sure if he was too ill to carry on he wouldn't be in the chair.

And not all "senior citizens" get alzheimers...its a disease that's usually heriditary as someone else here said...to draw a conclusion just from his age is erroneous - and only serves to damage your cynical attitude towards Romero's new movie.

Just wait for the flick dude.

United States

Optimistic ...

Assuming that some info we can get will either strengthen or weaken our opinion about a film that has not yet been released , will change what the film is . Okay ... lets just please wait until the film is released .... Remember when Kubrick was filming "Full Metal Jacket"? There were reports that it was gonna be horrible . It turned out (in my humble opinion) to be a really great piece of film ... Alien , which was shot at Shepperton Studios in England , under sever security , had rumors that it would be celuliod turd . So lets please wait ? OK .

I wish that George A Romero would read this thread ...

....Please , Chaos, from our brief conversations in chat , you seem to be quite a sharp individual . Just give this film the chance it deserves buddy ... I believe that we will all be pleasantly surprised ....Peace .
    Last edited by DVW5150; 12-Dec-2006 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

capncnut
    I'd give my left testicle to be 12 again.

Lord Howe Island

Hand it over...

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    I'd give my left testicle to be 12 again.
    I am married, so I lost mine years ago...
    War to the knife...the knife to the hilt.
    The end is f*cking nigh!!!

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Do you really think that making a movie can be held in the same context as a contact sport? I don't see any comparrison to be honest.

Also, i didn't consider LAND to be a "sub par" zombie movie. While you may not see it as GARs best work to date, it STILL stands head and shoulders above the majority of zombie movies released in the last twenty years.