Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Completely random Dawn 2004 observation ...

ViP

Undisclosed

Completely random Dawn 2004 observation ...

I just popped it into my DVD player and noticed something peculiar and yet so blindly obvious that I'm almost embarassed to point it out now almost 3 years after first seeing the film. There are the commonly noticed homages to the original throughout the film such as the Gaylen Ross store, the BP trucks and, of course, the WGON chopper flying through the frame.

I saw something a few minutes ago that I never heard anyone mention (apologies if you saw it 3 years ago) ... but did you notice that in the opening shot on the zoom out from the skull x-ray, there are a few frames that bear striking resemblance to the original cover art for 1978 version (Airport zombie head on the horizon)?

A nice touch, I thought.

P.S. - As I was typing this out I noticed something else ... I think I may be going crazy ... during the intro, just as Johnny Cash says "the hair" from (the hairs on your arm will stand up) for 2 frames the image of the reporter's head distorts with a slice through the top of his head ... helicopter zombie???

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I had pointed that out in the past `senor I even had an avatar of his
    hair "standing up"
    I won't bet money but it's probably more a reference to the lyrics than any presumption of a "homage to 78" because it happens perfectly in synch with the music almost.

Undisclosed
    hah! i never thought of that. so i guess.....youre not the only one then!

United States
    I always thought the first few frames of dawn '04 looked exactly like the intro to Dawn '78, the shot of red at the very very beginning, except in '78 it pans out to the news station and '04 to the X ray

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

capncnut
    Damn, that skull does bear a resemblance to the poster.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Am I the only one who thinks that the skull and the poster don't exactly look that much alike?

Banned
    Banned User

United States

Thumbs down

dug it up I needed to find some discs anyway
    hah no image link for u
    not enough posts,....
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bongholio; 09-Apr-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that the skull and the poster don't exactly look that much alike?
    How do you not see it? It's clear as day. There is a line across the bottom quarter of the image, an the head is in the same position.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    How do you not see it? It's clear as day. There is a line across the bottom quarter of the image, an the head is in the same position.
    Actually the line in the Dawn cover art is just below the eyes. Personally, I don't see much of a resemblence, but hey it appears that it's just me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    nah i gotta agree it aint too similar, that said the first 15 minutes of that film were awesome and its opening was better than the origional dawns opening, shame about the rest of the movie, oh well, 'when the man comes around' goes well on my 360 when i play dead rising

just thought id add it, and yknow the longer its gotten since its release the more i like the dawn remake, even more than land i think, so heres some jhonny cash

Last edited by Danny; 29-Dec-2006 at 03:05 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Man. I gotta get Dead Rising to play it just with that song on.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    nah i gotta agree it aint too similar, that said the first 15 minutes of that film were awesome and its opening was better than the origional dawns opening, shame about the rest of the movie, oh well, 'when the man comes around' goes well on my 360 when i play dead rising

just thought id add it, and yknow the longer its gotten since its release the more i like the dawn remake, even more than land i think, so heres some jhonny cash

Here here !

Dawn 04's opening blew me away (and i did not see the USA Network PREVIEW)

Sure, the film stumbles a few times but what a bunch of fun it is. Good times. The first true action / zombie film and finally.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    aye even gereorge himself said the first 15 minutes or so were great but damn, you know the writer got bored when they had an a team construction montage'.
    the opening is one of the best zombie openings i think to be bad that vid didnt have the next 5 minutes when the woman made her escape up to the crash that was awesome.

United States
    I thought it was great unril the lady's (whatever her name is) zombie husband ran after her car at what must have been 40 mph.
    If the film was about Andy the gun store guy it would've been way better. Thats original. Dotd 04 boils down to
    great look
    great fx
    Crap characterization
    Annoying cliches, macguffins and red herrings like A girls shoe falling off in a 50s horror film.

When I was a kid and I saw NOTLD, the thing that let me know right away that it was different was when Barbara is getting chased in the cemetary, she falls down. Rather than scream and wait to die like every other movie, she just takes her shoes off and keeps going like a real person. Before then, every woman in horror/Sci Fi/Crime would just stand there.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    I thought Yawn 04 was great until The Stereophonics kicked in, after that it went downhill pretty fast.