Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, this place is deader than a nun's sex life.

United States
    Its pretty much the same for me.

United States
    Honestly, I think it has alot to do with the 5 reads a week rule...to this day I still get the occasional e-mail about one of my older stories on here, so I know people still read...but me, no thanks...it's not so much that I've moved on, because I still have that one last story floating around on my hard drive...no, it's actually more a case of a website this huge, and guys, we all know that it's seen alot of visitors over the years, having a so many reads per, rule...

Let's face it...people write stories for people to read...if anybody says they only write for themselves, that's bunk...if that's the case, then why is it on a website or on a Borders bookshelf somewhere instead of in your nightstand drawer?

Writers write so people can read it...and honestly, putting a cap on how many stories you can read in a week is like hobbling a long distance runner and telling him to run a 5 minute mile...

Or I could just be full of my own crap, I don't know.

United States
    Yea I agree, the 5 read limit has really hindered me. I think it's hindering the site.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

United States
    I honestly can't find blame in the limit(s) set on the fiction. You can only check out so many library books in one shot, yet they've managed to continue housing worthy reads.

I truly feel the quality of the fiction is in direct relation to the fact that authors no longer use the Fiction Discussion Forum. I remember a time when authors were in almost competition with each other on the boards, over who could post the best story. Now, it feels like a nameless game of who can post the most. Quantity over quality.

Is there really nothing left to discuss, or is it just a mad dash to the finishline, essentials of writing be hanged? If this is just a lull, why don't any of us forsee an end to it?

Hell, this type of prolonged lull makes me miss...*whispers*Grimstories... At least that cat was good for starting a conversation. Sure, it generally turned into a ruckus, but at least the writers were communicating.

Undisclosed
    I have to agree with deadpunk. I don't believe that it's the limit of stories that a person can read that has caused this. A lot of the old authors who used to post in here regularly have either left or just don't discuss on the fiction section forum anymore. I don't think that it's the material so much that's run out for us writers, I think that it's because a lot of us have been writing zombie fiction for so long that we tend to see everything as repetative.
    It really is kind of sad, because I owe a lot of the writing skills I've developed from advice from more senior authors. And deadpunk is also kind of right about grimstories, he was definetly a prick, but he sure knew how to keep a thread going.

United States
    Grim should never be brought back or ever considered a good thing in any way.

We have general horror and sci fi now. So Lets start throwing out some idea's for those puppies.

United States
    That may be true DP, but honestly, I'm not interested in reading anything on here much anymore, because if it sucks, then I've used up a read...

So honestly, I'm not really qualified to say whether or not stories have slipped in quality, but based on some of the titles, I'm not interested in trying either.

I really don't understand why this site has a general horror and sci-fi section anyway to be honest...it's called Homepage of The Dead, not Homepage of a Little Bit of Everything...

Personally, real life intrudes and writing which has never been more than a hobby gets pushed aside...I know that I'll never publish and get paid for it, so I keep it in a place for fun and sometimes, I have to deal with the real stuff...you know, bills, relationships, all that fun stuff.

But honestly, let's face facts...zombies as a whole are getting rather overdone here as of late...everybody is remaking movies, just using the title so they can have some noteriety, but not really getting what made the originals so great in the first place...it's either just wanting to make a quick buck, or they think they have something important to say, which they really don't.

And yes, I honestly miss the fiction challenges...we had some good stories written, met some great people, but sadly, I feel the heyday of the fiction is past...it's hard to keep a balance of work, life and the pursuit of fun as you get older...

Maybe it's just getting harder to find our way into that dead world...or maybe, just maybe, some of us are afraid of not being able to get back out once we're in.

United States
    I miss the fiction challenges as well, Gil. The problem with those was that only about half of those that committed ever came through.

As for the titles of the recent crop of fictions...yeah... But, then again, Convenience Store of the Dead sounded awful to me, and was a surprisingly good read when the author emailed it to me.

As for LD Fic being stale... Well, any writer will feel confined if they stick to only one genre for so long. Look at King. He has been typed as a horror writer, yet anyone with half a brain can see that he wanders far from that staple in his writings.

I think the inclusion of non-LD writings was for Neil's own personal satisfaction. The guy is a professed Sci-Fi geek. Maybe, just maybe, even the administrator of homepageofthedead can grow weary of zombies after so long?

And, here's where I set myself up for crucifiction: I actually blame LAND for alot of what has transpired with the fiction (or lack thereof) on this site. The basic plot and feel of LAND was so mainstream, that it attracted a younger audience (hence less 'mature' visitors to the site). While I thought LAND was a fun movie, it certainly wasn't the brilliant masterpiece we had all been waiting for. When the quality of the inspiration falls, the subsequent fandom has to follow suit.

For me, finding the dead world has never been hard. I doubt it ever will be. Yet, finding the time...well, thats a whole other ball of wax.

United States
    Yeah, I have to agree with you about Land...after seeing all the eye candy that went with Dawn '04, I would have thought Romero would have been able to come up to that point, only with characters...well, I was disappointed...honestly, it just felt a little too self important...and it was far too short...the anorexic trend movies have taken chills me to the marrow sometimes...it's like we want ALL of our entertainment to be pre-packaged, sanitized for our protection and get us in and out in less than 2 hours because we have to go buy the newest Justin Timberlake abortion...

That's just my way of saying yeah, it was way too mainstream...I like Romero, but I'm not going to suck some guys left nut just because he's made some movies that I adore...yes, it was better than both RE movies, but really, is that so much of an accomplishment? What's so wrong with taking time to develop characters that we can actually give a hoot about before seeing them fall apart and make the mistake that gets them killed? Honestly, the first time I watched Shaun of The Dead, once the zeds started coming through the windows of the Winchester and Barbra succumbed to her bite, I FORGOT I WAS WATCHING A COMEDY...if a few dudes from jolly old England can make a movie that damn fine, why can't somebody who has had legions of fans for decades?

Now I'm not just downing him, I understand that he had some valid ideas about the flick, but it just didn't deliver to me...and I didn't really think the zombie effects were that great, except for baseball chicks exposed teeth...I loved that...

But I mean...ah hell...I'm honestly not trying to turn this into bash George here, but it honestly seemed a bit like it was "hey, let's celebrate the fact that Dennis Hopper says zombies freak him out and picks his nose!"...that and I thought Cholo was a bit one dimensional...surely he wasn't going to launch missiles at the Green just because he wanted money...it was about having his differences pointed out to him...but instead of actually saying that, or even really making it just a little clearer, we keep on hearing about the money...which I also thought was a bit too obvious as a metaphor...

*sigh*

Well, I'm going to hop off my soapbox...I know it sounds like I hate Romero, which I genuinely don't and I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Diary...just please no emo kids...

United States
    Guys, the way I see it is we have the three of us here now. Gilead, I'm glad to see you back at HPOTD And Now the News is still one of my all-time favorites, and Deadpunk, you know how I feel about those Batman stories.

Now I have the next 2 weeks free. No job, no family, no nothing. Just spare time in which I plan to finish reading a book and playing CyberNations. In between that time, however, I have a bit of free time, so I'm offering this out to the two of you: Let's do something. I think it was DP who had the idea to start a story then hand it off to someone else to continue it. We have three people here so let's get something started!

Personally I think we have two of HPOTD's best writers and me, one of the most prolific at a time, so we can get something going in that regard. I have a feeling that if people were motivated by reading something really good we might get better reads out of the fiction section.

I threw that idea out there, so one of you guys start a topic about it if interested and let's get some ideas. I might have an idea cranking around in my head if neither of you have one.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States

I dunno...

honestly, The Hollowville Resurrection keeps me pretty busy. But, I'll go this far, if you and Gil both agree to commit to this, I'll make the time to do my part.

We're talking a three parter, I assume? A mini-trilogy of sorts?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

United States
    Ignore old exa will ya

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    honestly, The Hollowville Resurrection keeps me pretty busy. But, I'll go this far, if you and Gil both agree to commit to this, I'll make the time to do my part.

We're talking a three parter, I assume? A mini-trilogy of sorts?

Hmmmmmmmmm...
    Something along those lines, yeah. I was thinking more like 3 long chapters, say 10 pages per person, each in the same city/town/whatever with different characters who end up meeting in the end. It doesn't have to go exactly that way, that's just my own input on it.

Again, I'm just throwing the idea out there. If you guys have a better idea, let me know, I'd be happy just to be working with 2 great writers.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    So, we would have to write an ending first, then each of us tell it from our own perspective? Okay, I'm definately intriqued...

Get Gilly to bite, and I'm in.

And, yes exa, we're ignoring you

United States

Chomp

I think you're slobbing the knob a bit too much there Arc, but thanks are in order for your opinion nevertheless...

And yeah, honestly I'd like to do something like that...I've not written ****e since I started on a webcomic a few months back and I've kinda been sitting here moping around, so yeah...count me in if you'll have me.