Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Showing my little bro Dawn for the first time...

Banned User

Aaland

Personally speaking....

you are a RETARD.... don't mean to name call or anything but my daughter is 3 years old and i'll be dammed if she see's "Dawn" until she's at least 13 or 14 or until her sub-conscious can process it correctly.

you made a statement about watching his facial expressions and asking him if he wants you to turn it off, well of course he's going to say no, he's 3 years old, 3 year olds hate the word no.
    the point i'm trying to make is that he may seem fine watching it, but in his sub-conscious he feels the images would be the norm and this will affect him in his sleep(terrible nightmares). everyone has nightmares even little children, but we as adults do not have to put them into situations to help them along to having them.

just for the record, my dad let me watch "night" when i was 10, had frightening nightmares for years which terrified me. i never wanted to go anywhere near the basement.
    now it turned out to be a double edge sword because i became a huge fan-boy because of "night" and 'dawn"
    but the movies were'nt going anywhere, i could have been spared a few years before seeing them!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    err...can anyone here remember a film they say when they were 3 years old?

England
    I think 3 is waaaaaaay too young for the lad. Remember at that age his mind is like a "sponge" and will absorb images everywhere that he will carry with him as he grows up. It will do him far more damage than good. 13 or 14 is a realistic age so he knows what he is looking at.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    3 year olds still believe in Santa Claus
    Not in a certain primary school here in the UK. Some moronic teacher downloaded a "5 year teaching plan" from the internet, which included an exercise where the kid had to put themselves in the shoes of a postal worker writing a letter to a child explaining why their letter wasn't answered by Santa - the friggin' "lesson plan" then goes on to explain Santa doesn't exist! :jaw on floor un-smiley:

I know, disgusting isn't it. These kids were only little - and the cheek of this plan was also, is that it insinuated if you were any older than say 4 there was something wrong with you to still believe in Santa!

The paper said the kids were distraught, I'm not surprised. Talk about a Christmas Scrooge!

Undisclosed
    As a parent of a 13 and 11 y/o I will chime in a bit. There is NO WAY I would have ever let either one of my kids see Dawn at 3, no way, no how!!!

Obviously you can't put an exact age on when a kid can handle things of that nature as all kids mature at different speeds, but 3???? Come on!

My son first watched Dawn at about 11 and at 13 has now seen all of the horror films that I love.

Young kids minds are way too impressionable at that time to see images that Dawn presents, as another poster had wrote, so realistically and gritty.

Just my .02 as a parent.
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    You're gonna have some REAL fun when he draws bloody zombie pictures in preschool. I'd like to be there to see the teachers face, and I DON'T want to be there for the army of well meaning government issue head docs decend on you and publicily dissect your family life.

Just saying.... it's best to watch what kids see, because if they can handle it or not, some busybody will disagree.

M_

Super Moderator

UK
    At least you're watching it with the l'il chap, taking part and educating him in the difference between fact and fiction, reality and fantasy. That's a stronger influence and a good one too.

United States
    it is you who knows best

i was dating this girl and
    she was babysitting this little kid
    about 4 and i was watching dawn

he kept calling the zombies "lagzanas"
    and wasnt bothered by it at all

my other friend had kids and
    i was over when the night 90 came on tv
    and we were watching it
    as soon as the first zombie appaered on the screen
    the little one freaked out and we had to shut it off

so in my experience some kids can handle
    it and some cant

you know your kid best

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Jesus christ some of you could create a diamond in two weeks if I stuck a lump of coal up your ass. haha

I'm not shoving the movie down his throat. He chooses what he wants to watch. He's a huge movie buff (yes, already) and has seen TONS of movies. He's gradually worked his way up. Started out with shiv like Land Before Time, which made him obsessed with dinosaurs, so he started watching Jurassic Park (his favorite) and Godzilla. Recently he fell in love with House II.

I constantly tell him that there is no such thing as zombies. It's just a movie. He understands. He's not an idiot (as it seems a lot of you tend to think anyone under the age of 13 is).

In his eyes it's not very scary.....

I was 8 years old when I saw both Dawn Of The Dead and Jurassic Park... and I will tell you right now that I looked at Dawn as an awesome action/horror that wasn't very scary.... but Jurassic Park nearly made me crap in my drawers. It was terrifying for me.

So if he can handle Jurassic Park with no problem, I figured he'd be fine with Dawn. And he was. No nightmares last night. No horrors of venturing into the outside world.

I'm not a bad guy. I didn't shove it down his throat. He picked it out and I wasn't going to say no to my favorite movie of all time.

United States
    We're all sure you're a responsible and level headed individual who has great judgement. Don't pay attention to 'Everyone else who says it isn't a good idea', especially the parent's (What the **** do they know ?).

Allowing the 3 year old too choose what he wants to watch is a fab idea ! Why not allow him to choose what kind of foods to eat, when his bedtime should be and whether or not he needs to go to school in a couple years.

I'm sure your parent's don't have any issues with the decisions you are making in helping raise your little brother, I mean, look how you turned out.

(Puts diamond back in ass and prays for coal)

Banned User

Aaland

ya know what pizzof

No-one said you were a bad guy, but DIDN'T YOU AK US FOR OUR OPINIONS HERE IN YOUR THREAD!!! You wanted to know what we thought,so why get all defensive?

Like i said before, my daughter is 3, i'm not going to let her watch anything that has people eating other people or animals eating people. and that goes for Jurassic Park, War Of The Worlds , Dawn or any other movie that has that kind of violence.
    The scene in Jurassic when the t-rex shows up for the first time was an incredibly tense scene. While I was not scared as an adult watching it for the first time....I was still on the edge of my seat. Imagine a kid older than 3lets say 5 or 6, that will scene alone will leave images in their mind and they will have questions as to wether a dinosaur could knock their house down or come after them.
    Now Jurassic is no-where near as violent as Dawn, so imagine some little kid trying to process the violence, limb tearing,gut munching, heads exploding,flesh eating,guns,knives,helicopter blades,intestine eating,blood splattering and machete ripping scenes.
    Remember, Romero's zombie flicks have a very documentary feel to them, almost like it's really happening right now, especially with all the news reporting. I saw it in the movies with my friends when I was 13, still scared the piss out of me for months. The movie stayed with me long after that. I became a fan because of it, but I was 13....not 3,4,5,6, or 7.

Now I am in no way some right wing conservative, I tend to be be a little more liberal regarding the arts to some extent, but I have a problem with anyone under 10 years old trying to make sense of this stuff.

Administrator

England
    For goodness sake, you can't show a three year old Dawn of the Dead!

At that age, their little brains are just starting to make sense of the world...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by joeharley666 View Post
    No-one said you were a bad guy, but DIDN'T YOU AK US FOR OUR OPINIONS HERE IN YOUR THREAD!!! You wanted to know what we thought,so why get all defensive?
    Right. I asked for opinions on the subject; didn't ask for a bunch of name-calling and flaming. That's the only reason I got defensive.

Banned User

Aaland

Well Mike......

I will apologize for calling you a retard, you are right about flaming and name-calling, so I am sorry.

But, what did you expect when you post this kind of thread? What reactions did you think you were going to get from people here? You have to remember, most people here are probably parents like me(I'm 40 with a 3 year old,so I've been around the block a few times), so they are going to take extra measures protecting and shielding their children from this kind of stuff until they are old enough to understand what is right and what is wrong in the world.
    When I told you my father scared the living **** out of me by having me watch "Night" when I was just 10 years old....I swore when I had children of my own, I would never expose them to that kind of stuff. Very bad judgement on my father.

Turned out to be a pretty good thread though, a little one-sided but good.

Anyway Mike, I caught Motley with Aero last september at Camden, i know you are a fan, were you there? Awesome show, Motley blew the doors off the place and off Aero as well.

Administrator

England
    Think of it this way... Why are you showing a three year old this film? For his benefit or YOUR benefit?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan