Thread: New Zombie flick? War of the Dead

Dying

Undisclosed

New Zombie flick? War of the Dead

From Dread Central

Amazing how things tend to work out. A few days back I stumbled upon info about a new Olivier Gruner action-horror flick called War of the Dead that would pit the marble-mouthed French kickboxing asskicker against zombies during World War 2. I couldn't find any info other than a brief synopsis and assurances that it was a real film. I wanted to do a story about it but damned if I had much of anything to go on. And then this morning I surf over to Twitch Film and find that they've just filled in the blanks complete with trailer. What timing.

Now War of the Dead is definitely what I would call an international production: Finnish director and locales, French leading actor, Scandinavian cast, US and Lithuanian producers, and the dialogue will reportedly be almost completely in English. Directed by acclaimed Finnish director Marko Mäkilaakso - I'll just take their word for it that he's acclaimed since I don't know enough about Finnish cinema to dispute it - and produced by the people behind John Carpenter's Vampires, War of the Dead's plot goes a little something like this:

"In the frozen arctic forests, Captain Martin Stone is leading a finely-trained, elite platoon of American and Finnish soldiers as they attack an enemy bunker. Underestimating their enemy’s strength, they are quickly beaten back into the forest. As they try to regroup, they are suddenly attacked by the same soldiers they had just killed a few minutes earlier. Forced to flee deeper into Russian territory, they discover one of war’s most terrifying secrets and realize they have woken up a far more deadlier enemy."

Despite the fact that War of the Dead only began shooting last month there's already a teaser trailer online and I must say I'm digging what I'm seeing thus far. You certainly can't fault the cinematography. That said, "Fear has a new temperature" may very well be the lamest tagline I've come across in a long time.

- The Foywonder

Pretty funny...lamest tagline...and isn't that John Hurt doing the narration?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    zombies in world war two... could be good, if its like a resistance: fall of man type thing.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Trailer

Here's the trailer: http://thelittlefilmcompany.filmtrac...6E8B389%7D.wmv

Looks alright... if they weren't saying it was a ZOMBIE MOVIE! UGH! These things seem more like vampires to me. Did you see the one that was jumping like 20 feet in the air in one of the quick clips?

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Yeah ... Ummmmm, great title for a movie ... with a title like that it sure sounds promising ... i think ...

capncnut
    Ummm, looks okay but hasn't the world-war-two-zombie-thing been done to death already?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i wasnt aware it HAD been done.

excluding the nazi zombies in the swimming pool sorta things.

itd be cool to see a cross between band of brothers and the walking dead though, i mean youd all ready be in enemy territory and hundreds of miles from your family then it all goes bizaaro world on you and you got zombies?, that'd make a cool comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post

Looks alright... if they weren't saying it was a ZOMBIE MOVIE! UGH! These things seem more like vampires to me. Did you see the one that was jumping like 20 feet in the air in one of the quick clips?

OMG! FLYING ZOMBIES!!!
    Last edited by Danny; 22-Dec-2006 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i wasnt aware it HAD been done.
    Well, I guess it hasn't been done technically but it's been touched upon many times. The Bunker and Deathwatch being two examples. Talking of which, 'aint there meant to be a Wolfenstein film coming out?

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Well, I guess it hasn't been done technically but it's been touched upon many times. The Bunker and Deathwatch being two examples. Talking of which, 'aint there meant to be a Wolfenstein film coming out?
    Don't forget Shockwaves with Peter Cushing. Those were Nazi zombies coming out of the water too.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post

deathwatch kicked ass, reminded me of dog soldiers, but better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Don't forget Shockwaves with Peter Cushing. Those were Nazi zombies coming out of the water too.
    heh, those undead germans love there swimmin' huh?
    Last edited by Danny; 22-Dec-2006 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Oliver Gruner? In a zombieflick?

There's a man who belongs in the trash genre. Unlike Will Smith.

Administrator

England
    FFS... Who told the camera-man that holding the camera at an angle was artistic?

And we have superhuman dead people again?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    which reminds em anyone heard the rumors of a marvel zombies flick?, that'd be cool even though pretty much anyone who wanted to see it would know the outcome.

Undisclosed

Red face ?

this movie looks like it blows gorilla nuts!!!!!