Thread: Deja Vu anyone???

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

Deja Vu anyone???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6214425.stm

does anyone get the impression that this is gonna become a regular occurance?

Kazakhstan
    yeh who knows with this one. he's been getting big money offers after the harry potter thing, but then the guy is a doctor who nerd, and i doubt he'd stitch us (and himself) up by quitting so soon.

but on the other hand, whenever someone asks him if he's leaving after the next series, he never says "No" outright.

who knows! i know the guy is banned from going on internet forums due to his blabbing

UK
    Well, the claim might be real due to the fact that series 4 hasn't been ordered yet and series 2 war ordered while series 1 was still being filmed.

What the hell is going on?

Kazakhstan
    i think series 2 & 3 were ordered simultaneously after the success of the first couple episodes of series 1. i reckon we will get a series 4 but it'll be the start of the decline. i hate to add to the naysaying that will probably snowball and hasten the decline, but that seems to be the way of it, this xmas special didnt do too well in the ratings.

i think the problem is the high profile timeslot if occupies, you have to really perform in the ratings to stay there, whereas stuff like bugs, jonathan creek and goodnight sweetheart seemed to amble on for years and years.

capncnut
    I think this makes perfect sense. He is riding the crest of a wave and was recently voted the best Doctor ever (bulls**t, Tom Baker destroys him) so what better way to preserve the goodness and quit before his character runs flat. Tennant cannot play the role forever I'm afraid and a new face would be perfect to keep the show fresh. Anyway, I'm getting sick of these twentysomething Doctors, make him a a bit older - and more sinister.

I wonder who the BBC are lining up to replace him? Answers on a postcard.

Edit: Wait a sec, doesn't the Doctor have 12 regenerations before he dies for real? This will be the 11th by my calculations.
    Last edited by capncnut; 28-Dec-2006 at 05:42 PM.

UK
    12 regenerations but dies on the 13

Kazakhstan
    but can he turn into a crap cgi snake ala the TV movie?...the master didnt let the 13 lives thing stop him...

i think its worth mentioning that we dont know for sure that tennant is the 10th doctor...he said he'd had a dozen or so since he and sarah last met...which was *technically* the five doctors... *nerds away feverishly* but probably not...just feeding my not so inner nerd there...

but aye, i dunno, someone on another board i go on mentioned that he thinks a contributing factor to the decline of the show in the late eighties was the more frequent recasting of the role, causing people to get fed up with/not build attachment to the incumbent doctor, breeding indifference to the show.

on a less theoretical note, we've had 3 decent doctors (imo), surely it's kinda likely that we'll have a crap one soon?

United States
    This would be a good opportunity to get Christopher Eccleston back (not that it's going to happen)...

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    i dunno, someone on another board i go on mentioned that he thinks a contributing factor to the decline of the show in the late eighties was the more frequent recasting of the role, causing people to get fed up with/not build attachment to the incumbent doctor, breeding indifference to the show.
    There's only one reason for the show's decline in the eighties. His name was John Nathan Turner.

*repeats name Fight Club style*

UK
    ahh yes... him. but you also have to agree that Michael Grade had a huge part to play in it's downfall.

But when you get Ken Dodd to play an alien, you know the series is dead....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah tennants his 11th regeneration so i was thinking "well they can only have 1 or 2 'new' doctors left to go before they cant make anymore purely cus the main protagonist is dead.
    that said i remember an old ep i saw were the doctor met 5 versions of his past regenerations in some kinda puzzle i think the ep had a same name as a stephen king book, it was a long time ago mind you, but i remember the time lords offered the master a "new regeneration cycle" if he did something i cant remember for them, so theyll probably do something like that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    that said i remember an old ep i saw were the doctor met 5 versions of his past regenerations in some kinda puzzle i think the ep had a same name as a stephen king book, it was a long time ago mind you, but i remember the time lords offered the master a "new regeneration cycle" if he did something i cant remember for them, so theyll probably do something like that.

The Five Doctors
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Doctors

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    I heard rumor that the next Doctor was someone we all know from 28 Days Later but isn't Eccleston. It's probably unfounded rumor of course.

As for Tennant being voted the favorite Doctor. I think the current demographic is chock full of new folks that don't even know about the old Doctors. I mentioned elsewhere it was akin to polling audiences coming out of the theater after seeing Dawn of the Dead 2004 and asking what the best zombie movie ever was and then declaring Dawn 04 is the best zombie movie EVER!!!!

Rowsdower... Zap Rowsdower!

"I sensed that with my hair. My hair's an elaborate network of nerves, constantly processing information."