Thread: Max number of disk drives for one computer?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Max number of disk drives for one computer?

How many CD/CDR/DVD/etc drives can you have on one computer? Is 2 the max possible?

EDIT: This is for a friend of mine. Why he wants to have more than 2 drives is beyond me. I tell him that since he has one CDR and one DVDR that's all he needs... but he still wants three hooked up.
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 30-Dec-2006 at 04:51 PM.

United States
    IDE or scsi?

Normally with ide you can have four devices (hard drive, CD, or DVD)

Primary Master/Slave and Secondary Master/Slave

SCSI - number of devices depends on the card. Advanced technology Adaptec 2940UW cards support up to 15 internal and external devices.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Scotland
    You can have as many as 26 (A: - Z I think, maybe even more.

You can fill up your USB ports with external drives as well as using the IDE ports, and now that you can get SATA hard drives you can use all 4 IDE places for CD/DVD drives.

EDIT: 3 shouldn't be a problem, as long as he still has 1 hard drive to run his OS.

I'm guessing he wants a DVD drive so he can copy DVD's with his DVD writer.
    Last edited by LoSTBoY; 30-Dec-2006 at 05:09 PM.

United States
    I have 3 and 1 is a serial. I had 4 at one time.
    Why? More storage, plus redundency and back up.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Administrator

England
    Typically, the most people will have is three HDs and one CD/DVD, via two IDE slots, each with a master and slave.

You can have more, but typically three is the most...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Typically, the most people will have is three HDs and one CD/DVD, via two IDE slots, each with a master and slave.

You can have more, but typically three is the most...
    I have three hard drives.

A: 3 1/2 Floppy Drive;
    C: Local HD;
    D: 120GB HD;
    E: Partioned HD from C: I believe?
    F: DVD +-RW/CD-RW;
    G: DVD-ROM;
    H: Sony Memory Stick Drive;
    I: Compact Flash Drive;
    J: SmartMedia Drive; &
    K: 300GB USB HD!

That is a lot of freaking drives!

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

Undisclosed
    You can also get an extra IDE card that you can slap in one of the PCI slots and get another 4 channels for hard or optical drives. Or a RAID controller, most'll let you set things up in a lot of different ways, including just having a bunch more drives. One kinda cool thing you can do with that, also, is to "span" a bunch of smaller drives and have the system see them as one truly huge drive.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    I'm guessing he wants a DVD drive so he can copy DVD's with his DVD writer.
    Thats what I was guessing. If so, he only needs 2, the DVD drive and the DVR drive. I am told that a DVR can copy CD's as well, so you dont need another drive for that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Thats what I was guessing. If so, he only needs 2, the DVD drive and the DVR drive. I am told that a DVR can copy CD's as well, so you dont need another drive for that.
    You can get by with only one DVD-R drive as long as you don't do a direct copy of a DVD to another DVD Drive. (Which I don't think is possible anyway because of copy protection.)

One DVD-R can be used to copy it to the hard drive and then back to the same drive on a blank DVD.

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]