Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fast zombies

Spain
    Hellow. I'm from Spain. My english isn't perfec (I'm sorry). I'm a new member in this post... When I saw to the zombies running, I thought that they afraid me more, because the old zombies, was very slow, and we could run away easily, whit this new type, it's more difficult!!!.

capncnut
    Welcome Huescacho, great to see a new face on the board. Don't worry about the english, it is fine.

Undisclosed

Exclamation i think...

i always have and always will find romero's zombies the best mainly because the more lifeless animation the scarier it is!

when a dead human being returns to life i would imagine that the brain is rottening along with the rest of the body and what was cool about romero's is that some zombies could barely comprehend how to walk,which is how it should be.

the fact that the new zombies scream like faggots just makes the film appear phonier that it already is,plus it takes so much focus and concentration for a real human to run especially for a long period of time,i dont believe a zombie can keep up that sort of brain function!

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by Huescacho View Post
    Hellow. I'm from Spain. My english isn't perfec (I'm sorry). I'm a new member in this post... When I saw to the zombies running, I thought that they afraid me more, because the old zombies, was very slow, and we could run away easily, whit this new type, it's more difficult!!!.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakobsa View Post
    I think that Svengoolie has probably said all that you can say on this topic.
    There are sound physiological reasons why the runners are scary, human beings and probably most other animals experience something called pain, yeah, I know it's not very nice but it stops us from damaging ourselves too badly.
    Lack of pain due to nerve damage is what leads to the disfiguring injuries you see in those unfortunate enough to suffer from Hansons disease (leprosy).
    The musculature (sp?) of the human body is very powerful, remember, our design is best suited to chasing down game in Africa.Our genes know that the creatures that carry them have to be strong and smart but not reckless.
    Pain tells us to stop before we damage the body. The dead don't care, they'll keep going 'till your barricade fails or you machete their heads off or they eat you.
    Shamblers are scary 'cause in the event of an outbreak human folly and our crowded planet would equal a dismal future for any survivors. Slow and steady wins the race.
    I think that the aggregate damage to the race would be the same, though with runners the eventual prevailing condition of zombie domination of most of the earth would occur a wee bit faster.
    Btw, I prefer shamblers.
    Rigor mortis usually starts at around three to four hours after death and is generally gone after thirty six hours, it's due to the breakdown of a chemical
    called ATP, interestingly this is the chemical that facilitates the transfer of energy between cells to allow for muscle contraction and therefore movement. Maybe whatever causes the dead to rise inhibits the breakdown of this chemical.
    The fact that the onset of rigor can be affected by temperature may have contributed to the belief in vampires. Imagine that after a death in the village
    the body of the deceased doesn't stiffen as normal...
    As to the bleeding etc, you're right; they shouldn't, but then we are talking about horror
    movies so some licence is to be expected. Maybe whatever revives them etc, etc.
    At the end of the day; yes it's just fantasy horror and it doesn't have to have rigorous internal consistency, but it's FUN to speculate.
    BTW, some of the info above is from wikipedia and some is my own.
    Welcome, Huescacho. Hope you find these old posts of mine helpful.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Welcome Huescacho, great to see a new face on the board. Don't worry about the english, it is fine.
    I thank you the welcome!. I like this board. George A. Romero is the master!.

Welcome, Huescacho. Hope you find these old posts of mine helpful.
    Thank you, Chakobsa. Your posts are very interesting. I agree with you. It's fantasy, but afraid!.
    Last edited by Huescacho; 03-Jan-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Huescacho View Post
    As said before, welcome to HPotD.

I can see why you would find the running zombies more frightening and definitely harder to get away from, but to me, that's not Romero was going for with his zombies. Romero's zombies are easy to get away from and take care of, but the real horror is that the humans can't do it. Instead of banding together and working as a whole, we begin to turn our weapons on each other rather than the problem at hand. Also, the slow zombies aren't too easy to get away from in a large group.

I find Romero's films and zombies to be a more traditional horror that everyone can relate to and see themselves becoming rather than the new-age horror movies that are just "RUN, RUN, RUN, SCREAM, SCREAM, SCREAM" over two hours.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the thing i dont get is ,people allway give scientific reasons about zombies running, and rigormortis and whatnot but they never get the key point, the dead dont rise from the grave to begin with, if the impossible happens there it is not impossible for a corpse to run, rather that than hissing like the creatures from jurassic park or mean girls

Spain
    Certainly... It's a good idea. If the impossible, happens, something can happen, no?. The most danger moment, I think that is the first hours... There is a lot of disorder and unkownledge, but when the people is ready, I don't think that the zombies can survive a lot of time. A lot of people, on the roofs, firing their weapons, became devastating!.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    the thing i dont get is ,people allway give scientific reasons about zombies running, and rigormortis and whatnot but they never get the key point, the dead dont rise from the grave to begin with, if the impossible happens there it is not impossible for a corpse to run, rather that than hissing like the creatures from jurassic park or mean girls
    Fiction allows the impossible to happen. Like the third Jaws movie features a great white shark bigger than any that has ever been discovered in the "real" world, not to mention a shark that growls/roars like a lion (also never recorded in "real" life). Oh and this shark manages to make his way into what is essentially Sea World, which is conveniently connected to the salt water ocean. The fourth Jaws is also good. The shark follows members of a specific family (Brody) halfway around the world, as if he were psychic, including forays into and through water that real great whites can not survive in.

Undisclosed

Cool

"what"!,you mean zombies arn't real"!!!

boy someone sure steared me wrong!

Haiti
    Hellsing, read my post again, I cearly stated that it's part of the FUN to speculate . We're talking about fantasy horror films after all, and what is "the key point" that we're missing anyhow, that the dead don't actually rise to feast on the warm flesh of the living? Thanks for clearing that one up for me.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    I always thought zombie mobility should be determined by tissue damage and the severity of rigor mortis.

A resurrected zombie with little or no tissue damage should move faster than one with half of his thigh chewed off.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I always thought zombie mobility should be determined by tissue damage and the severity of rigor mortis.

A resurrected zombie with little or no tissue damage should move faster than one with half of his thigh chewed off.
    True. But when dealing with something Fictional like the walking dead, it's not necesarily a good idea to go into scientific reasoning, ya know? I mean....they're dead....they're people....they're walking. Why does it matter about deteriation, muscle loss and all that jazz?

Probably only "fanboys" like us folk here at HPotD think about stuff like that.

Spain
    Yes, in Spain the "normal people", call us frikies!. I think that it's funny talk about this things, but without loss the real live. I have a lot of dudes of that zombi crisis became sometimes... (I stay...).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ..did something happen over there that didnt make it to the news?