Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fast zombies

United States

fast zombies

ok. when the infection first starts the first zombies ya know k they would be slow cause they were dead for while. but the people who die from the zombies who are only dead for about 5 min wouldnt they come back to fast because their joints are not stiff? just a question ive had for a while.

capncnut
    That could be true NG.

Saying that, look at how fast the cemetary zombie is in Night. He was almost jogging after Barbara. Not only that but she was in a car for the first 30 seconds of the chase and he still caught up.

As for the running zombies, they are not true zombies in my eyes (no arguments people, I'm just being purist) as they were kinda born out of 28 Days Later which was not a zombie flick. I think all the running takes the creepiness (and character) out of the creature. It's that element that made Michael Myers so scary I think, the fact that he never ran but was always right behind you.

Apparently the new Day has jumping zombies that can leap 20 foot through people's bedroom windows. No stiff joints on those f**kers!
    Last edited by capncnut; 31-Dec-2006 at 01:44 AM.

United States
    the whole fast slow thing is gonna be incorperated in my movie

United States
    Excellent points Capn. I would say this about ngm231 initial comments....if the dead actually could come to life, maybe the "freshly dead" could move faster that those that were dead longer. But as far as we know, the dead can not actually come to life. In GAR's dead movies, there is no specific cause given for why they do rise, and given that, we can not know how the dead may or may not move speed-wise, given we do not know the ramifications of whatever it is that made them come back to life in the first place. In the GAR universe, zombies can not run. The cemetary zombie does move kind of fast, but that was more due to it being GARs first film, and having no "rulebook" at that time. Also, as he was keeping up with the car, it was not running. Barbera did not have the keys, she just put it in neutral, and the ground there is not very hilly initially from where she was parked, therefore it would not be hard to keep up while having a slow pace. The slope increases later, and Barbera can not control the car and it crashes into a tree.

As far as jumping zombies and running zombies, whether you like them or not is a personal preference. I dont happen to like them. But in the universe of the stories in which they are contained, they can run and jump as fast as the story-teller dictates. They are not part of the GAR universe, and that is the universe that I prefer.

United States
    In my Zombie world ...

the fresher, the faster

the older, the slower

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Actually, it sets in upon death. That is one of the reasons why i think Dawn '04 is just a bad story. And the whole "runners then as time passes they slow down" concept is pretty much wrong as far as anatomy goes. The whole undead premise is silly in its self as well, so I guess you can make them do whatever you like. But I'm just saying, as far as rigor mortis: it sets in upon death. Romero was wrong about the way it works.
    I got this off an medical encyclopedia:

rigor mortis

(rĭ´gr môr´tĭs) , rigidity of the body that occurs after death. The onset may vary from about 10 min to several hours or more after death, depending on the condition of the body at death and on factors in the atmosphere, particularly temperature. Rigor mortis affects the facial musculature first and then spreads to other parts of the body. It is caused by chemical changes in the muscle tissue. The state of rigor usually lasts about 24 hours or until muscle decomposition takes place by acid formation.

So you see, they should start off really slow, then go balls out running. =)
    But then if you have your zombies decomposing at a natural state, then due to muscle decomposition they should never really sprint at full human speed.
    Thats what I think anyhow.
    Last edited by Excessium; 31-Dec-2006 at 03:39 AM.

United States
    i dont mean running exactly i mean like they dont walk as slow as the romero zombies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Zombies ran long before 28 Days Later. Nightmare City from 1980? Not true zombies, but they're still "dead" and mutated.

Then Return of the Living Dead in 1985.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    My favorite zombies are the ones from Resident Evil 1&2. I know alot of people didn't like the movies, I hate RE 2, but they had good zombies for the most part...yeah, the graveyard scene in RE 2 was cheesy.
    Overall, they moved well. They kept the stiffness, and still moved faster then .1 mph. If you can ever stomach the features for RE2, they have segment on how they implemented the zombies movement. I think those zombies are the perfect zombies. They don't run, but they don't move slow enough to let you think the characters have nothing to fear-like NotLD remake, where Babs just walks by all of them in the end.

RE zombies are the "balanced" zombies now. Faster then GAR's zombies, slower then Dawn 04's zombie, they can be set up to persuit their victims like Micheal Myers.
    Last edited by Excessium; 31-Dec-2006 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typos

United States
    They don't run, but they don't move slow enough to let you think the characters have nothing to fear-like NotLD remake, where Babs just walks by all of them in the end.
    To me, the very thing to fear is the fact that they move so slow, yet they always seem to get you in the end. It is easier to avoid and be aware of an obvious threat than one that is less obvious. You end up dead either way, but it is easier to spot, and therefore avoid, a fast moving zombie.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    The reason why most of the zombies in GAR's movie ever ate was due to Man Vs. Man conflict. GAR's zombies were really never the antagonist, they were always used as a sort of prop. So because of that, his zombies were never a threat to get you on their own, they need help.
    The faster zombies put a very short clock on characters in a film. The "clock" serves to add tension and suspense on a per zombie encounter. The only reason why I don't like runners is because, while I CAN imagine the dead coming back(for some insane reason), I can't fathom the thought of a decomposing body's ability to sprint at human speed.

I won't go into Lands zombies...I just don't have the hand speed or accuracy of the butcher zombie atm to chop off someone's hand, while the arm is in motion throwing a grenade.

Banned User

United States
    Well I think the first few hours of death they would be slow or non moving due to rigor mortis which starts within a few minutes to a few hours after death depending on the environment the body is in. Generally 35 to 40 hours after death the muscles relax again then the zombies should be able to move fast. When the bodys decay more they will start to slow down again. That is the way I see it if by any chance a zombie plaque would be real.
    So due to the rigor mortis process I think the zombies should be easy to eliminate before they become a real threat. But that is just my opinion.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Excessium View Post
    They don't run, but they don't move slow enough to let you think the characters have nothing to fear-like NotLD remake, where Babs just walks by all of them in the end.
    yeah that bugged the hell outta me, they spend the whole film i the house when they could have just left?, weak ending man, that totally let it down.

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Zombies ran long before 28 Days Later. Nightmare City from 1980? Not true zombies, but they're still "dead" and mutated.

Then Return of the Living Dead in 1985.
    No zombies in 28 DAYS LATER, only "infected" people who were still alive and breathing. No zombies in NIGHTMARE CITY either, just some mutants who were "a bit like zombies" ... and ROTLD was a "spoof" horror/comedy where the zombies could run, talk, tell jokes and prefered to eat brains rather than flesh.

Not a single zombie flesheater in sight.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman_Deluxe View Post
    No zombies in 28 DAYS LATER, only "infected" people who were still alive and breathing. No zombies in NIGHTMARE CITY either, just some mutants who were "a bit like zombies" ... and ROTLD was a "spoof" horror/comedy where the zombies could run, talk, tell jokes and prefered to eat brains rather than flesh.

Not a single zombie flesheater in sight.
    Even though none of them had zombies, they were still zombiefilms. Especially Nightmare City, where the mutans need to drink fresh blood of their victims.