Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preferred weapons for a Zombie Crisis

United States

Preferred weapons for a Zombie Crisis

I am newcomer to the forums, but have been a GAR ghoul/zombie fan since the 70's when I was a little kid.

Though this topic may have been covered in previous threads (I did a preliminary search and did not spot any -- but apologize if I missed!) I am curious as to what the members choices would be in arming themselves to deal with a classic (GAR rules) zombie crisis.

My own firearm preferences are as follows:

1 Springfield M-1 carbine, .30 caliber, with 2x scope, five 20 round clips

1 Ruger Blackhawk Revolver, .30 caliber, right hip holster

1 Ruger MK II, .22 rimfire, with interchangable bull barrel/detachable silencer, four clips, shoulder holster

Just curious about what everyone would pack!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would take the "Shaun" route and have a couple blunt objects. Can't run out of ammo.

United States
    A bunch of padlocks can in a sock! If it works for prison gangs it can work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Though this topic may have been covered in previous threads (I did a preliminary search and did not spot any -- but apologize if I missed!)
    If you couldnt find any gun fetish threads here, you couldnt have looked very hard
    Last edited by coma; 01-Jan-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    1 Ruger Blackhawk Revolver, .30 caliber, right hip holster
    Just curious about what everyone would pack!
    Nice choice with the .30 carbine round, it's near .357 magnum power from a handgun. Only issue with the Blackhawk (or any other single action revolver) would be the slower reload time.

Another option in the same caliber would be the Taurus Raging Thirty .30 carbine double action revolver. Holds 8 rounds using a full moon clip. If they made this in a 4 or 6 inch barrel (instead of a 10 or 12 inch hunting revolver) would be a great companion pistol to the M1 carbine.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Your point about a single's reloading problem is well taken and right on target.

To tell the truth, I was unaware of the Taurus Raging Thirty until you mentioned it, and even with the cumbersome barrel length it might still be a better zombie piece than the Blackhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post

If you couldnt find any gun fetish threads here, you couldnt have looked very hard
    Since I didn't see any here, I figured that I was searching incorrectly. Zombie folk usually love weaponry.

Beg pardon for my misstep!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 01-Jan-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Since I didn't see any here, I figured that I was searching incorrectly. Zombie folk usually love weaponry.

Beg pardon for my misstep!
    I was totally busting chops dude. I was goofing on a few of the threads where a few of the folks here go bananas over their shockingly huge and potent collections. All that's missing are suits of armour and Sherman Tanks.
    All right fellas, bust out your pics of your vintage 88s!
    Where I live it is really hard to get a legal firearm other than a shotgun. And even if you did theres no where to shoot it.
    Most here aren't into weapons but the ones that are are VERY dedicated and enthusiastic.
    The trght to bear arms, legs, and fragmentation grenades
    I do have a very nice 45 Bbgun replica! I guess I could put out some zombies eye!
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    I never understood the need for automatic weapons or "big" guns in a zombie crisis. At least not for a person who will probably be on foot. Nobody around here will be in Dead Reckoning, they'll be lucky if they have a vehicle or if it isn't stolen by someone else. I'd be more interested in a small compact handgun that is easy to reload and will allow you to get off shots quickly. I just think having a small handgun or two will give me a lighter load and allow me to carry a little more ammo. I'm not so sure I'd want some big ol' shotgun, which could be grabbed out of my hands by a crowd of stenches. When it comes to having a powerful gun, you don't need anything more powerful than a small pistol for penetration. It's all about shooting them in the head. When it comes to distance, it wouldn't make any difference if the undead were 70-80 feet away from me or 100 yards. At least not Romero's shufflers. As long as they aren't right next to me, breathing down my neck. Of course, if I got Zack Snyder zombies chasing me then I might as well throw down my gun and give up right there. We all know they're going to take over the entire world in 24 hours anyway
    Last edited by Brubaker; 02-Jan-2007 at 01:22 AM.

United States
    The amount of ammo available to me would be the overriding factor is chosing a weapon. Since the only ammo I could find would be pre-zombie outbreak produced ammo, and ammo not already "liberated" by others, it would be rather pointless to take my preferred weapon if ammo was limited. I have always been a pretty good shot. Anything that was lightweight would be ideal. A scope wouldnt be a bad idea either, although not neccesary. If I had the means, either a hideout that I felt I could move stuff to safely or some type of vehicle, I would load up anything and everything I could find, just to be on the safe side. If I was on foot and constantly on the move, one lightweight rifle and a handgun, with the most ammo I could carry. And some type of effective hand weapon would of course be in order, an insurance policy for if and when the ammo ever ran out.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    One of these or a studded mace. Can I get a full suit of chain mail armor to go with that?

Or I might go the Jessie the Body route in Predator with the mini-gun.
    If he can take down a forest, I won't have to be accurate with it, just tear everything up, blow up some cars, etc.
    Last edited by Excessium; 02-Jan-2007 at 03:56 AM. Reason: mini-gun

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    suit of chain mail armor to go with that?

The last thing you want is any sort of metal armor. You hit the closest motorcycle shop and pickup the best leathers you can find. The human mouth isn't strong enough to bite through leather (go ahead and try it).

For a weapon, I'd carry 2 good aluminum bats in a back holster + a saw'd off shotgun for close in "I'm about to die so please save my ass" combat. With the bats, you always go the knee then the head and if 2 blows doesn't kill it, leave it and move on.

Then I'd pick a nice 9mm with a 15 shot clip for humans and alway carry at least 2 extra clips.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Ummm, I've never heard of any Springfield M1 carbines, but if you have one it would truly be a collectors item. Also, 20-round magazines would have to be some sort of special production, since 15's and 30's were the norm.

My preference would be a Ruger 10/22, suppressed with a 4X wideview scope as a primary. If noise weren't a factor, or you were having to battle other survivors then an M4 with iron sights would be my next choice.

Lastly I'd go with a 9mm Browning for a sidearm as the round is readily available, lightweight and adequate for punching holes in skulls. Plus nothing has the natural pointing (for me at least), as the Browning.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FoodFight View Post
    Ummm, I've never heard of any Springfield M1 carbines, but if you have one it would truly be a collectors item.
    I think he's talking about this.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Yes. The M1 carbine was never produced by Springfield and 20 round magazines are not standard (if they even exist). So what is your point?

Italy

leather v armor

they may not bite through leather, but enough of them will rip the biker outfit off. BUT if you have full body armor, you can make your way through a horde. It'd be slow and fatiguing, but better than being shredded.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    i like to be sneaky. from sneaking up on my roomates to scare them to every video game i play (definitely a camper) i always try to be sneaky. that is just how i am. you throw in a zombie plague+real life phobia of zombies and you get me being the sneakiest bastard i could ever possibly be.

gunshots that absolutely give away my location in an undead horde are definitely not something i'd be looking forward to. in otherwords, guns to me at least, would be a last resort.

that leaves me with melee weapons. my first insticnt as a gamer is to say 'katana'! but let's be honest. for starters, how lucky would i have to be to find a katana that is forged the correct way and not just some aesthetic knock off? that would be just my luck to think i found some awesome katana, attempt to defend myself with it for the first time, and watch it break. not to mention to wield a katana effectively i would have to have 'some' skill in wielding it.

so with that in mind, i would opt for a huge, claymore, type of sword. i'm not talking ffVII sephiroth huge, but a nice four-five foot sword would be ideal. even if i don't hit exactly where i want to, the momentum from such a sword wielded by a non athlete such as myself would be enough to knock a zombie off balance. this would be the most effective when encountering multiple zombies at once. it would be heavy at first but as i continued to travel with it, i would grow accustomed to it.

however, the sword while being powerful, wouldn't get used as much as much as the smaller weapons id have with me... namely a pair of ordinary hammers that we all have in our junk drawers in our houses. i wouldn't be trying to rack up devil may cry style points trying to kill zombies; a hammer and/or knife in the head is all i really would care about. combine that with being a sneaky prick, one could conceivably take out dozens of zombies with just moderate difficulty. sneak up on a zombie, drive a hammer right into it's skull, dead. rinse, repeat.

the prementioned leather clothing protection is also a very good idea.

so far i would opt for....

-claymore sword
    -pair of hammers
    -leather jacket, pants, gloves, motorcycle helmet.

using intelligence, cunning, and stealth (not to mention a buttload of courage) that is all that i would need to defend myself. there would be no gunshots giving away my location nor me frantically searching for ammo EVERY DAY. this wouldnt be resident evil and i WOULDN'T be finding ammo pick ups and herb remedies every 15 minutes. but i would still try to carry a handgun w/ammo... why?

because we all know that zombies are only part of the threat. drifters and/or humans that have gone insane or just corrupted by their base, vile natures are definitely the bigger threat. the zombie threat is so severe due to their numbers. but just one, alive, human with a will to kill is very dangerous indeed. and those are the types of threats i would save my ammo for... the goddamned lunatics looking to kill me first.

all this is against gar zombies. now if we are talking about zack snyder zombies...

i would opt for the best pair of running shoes i could find as well as a decent amount of crack so i could just keep running at top speed. instead of hammers and swords, i'd be looking for gatorade, candybars, focus factor, any kind of sugar product, etc and a bible so i could pray to god to give me the speed i need to get the hell away from those bastards.