Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "crazy taxi meets resident evil"....

Super Moderator

UK
    GBC? Game Boy Colour?

Dude ... google is your friend, Carmageddon was a PC title and it was freakin' awesome, SO MUCH FUN.

I guess Capn, you were a few years too old for it (not an insult btw), I guess it's the sort of game that appealed much more to immature, 'virgin' minds ... greasy teenagers and such, like I was way back then - I've got the boxset of Carmageddon as well, keyring, mouse pad, the game plus the Splat Pack add-on ... quality - and UNCENSORED.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah thats one thing i noticed you can sensor games like resi and silent hill to get rid of the blood, doesnt the fact these games "contian scenes of violence and gore" suggest to the blood fearing guy that it might not be his cup of tea?

...damn ive been saying that a lot lately.

Super Moderator

UK
    I know, why bother censoring blood, so some pale-skinned, shivering gore-wimp can play a game they're not suited to at all? F*cking bollocks mate.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    preach it man!

capncnut
    It appears this one's a Japan only title. Here's some more information.

I was reading the latest issue of Famitsu when I ran across a crazy game called Zombie VS Ambulance. This is SIMPLE2000 game, which means its a budget title by D3 publishing (retail in Japan is about $18, which is ultra cheap considering most new games are in the $70 range).

So I did a little research on Zombie VS Ambulance, because I just couldn't get over the idea that somebody made a game about zombies fighting ambulances. There's an official site for the game which has some tiny screen shots, but the most interesting information comes from this guy's blog about the SIMPLE series. I translated a couple of snippets from his review:

The basic formula is leave the hospital, run over some zombies and help some people, return to the hospital, repeated over and over. But the need to run zombies over to win keeps the tension level high, so I think the system works pretty well.

First of all, there's a "hospital health gauge." As you drive around the gauge is slowly depleted, and if it ever goes to zero it means the hospital has succumbed to the zombies and it's game over. It's basically a life bar for the hospital. In order to fill the gauge back up, you have two options:
    1. You can run over a lot of zombies and get combos, or
    2. You can save police and military personnel.

The ambulance upgrades are cool. You can get mechanics that you save to upgrade your ambulance, but they'll require you to complete their weird requests (like, "run over 40 zombies to finish this upgrade") first. This is another reason to keep running over zombies, and combined with the hospital's health gauge, there's a nice balance that keeps the game from getting dull. It's a good combination.

If you don't get survivors that you've picked up back to the hospital before the time runs out, they'll turn into zombies inside the ambulance. This makes the ambulance harder to drive. How are you supposed to solve this problem? By driving full speed into a wall, which causes the zombies to fly out of the vehicle!
    This guy also talks about the things he doesn't like (no D-Pad support, and you have to drive carefully when you have people in the back). Basically, this game sounds like a combination of Crazy Taxi and Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick: pick up people and take them somewhere, and on the way drive over zombies and send buckets of blood and gore everywhere.

So yeah, they really made an ambulance vs zombie game. Is it Survival Horror? Probably not, but since I'm including Evil Dead, it's a tough call.

This game is getting pretty good scores too (somewhere around the 7.0-7.5 mark) so it's a shame we can't grab ourselves a slice. Here's a video review for all of those who couldn't be bothered to read.

Last edited by capncnut; 08-Jan-2007 at 05:30 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    damn why are people in podcasts so smug you almost wanna puke, but damn this game looks fun, and hell it cant be as repetitive as dead rising was after the novelty wore off.