Thread: the dictaphone in Day of the Dead

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

the dictaphone in Day of the Dead

What's up with that? What exactly were sarah and mcdermot listening to? I never really got that scene..."I put it away mother, I put it away" - erm...!! Was it logan experimenting with zombies, giving them names of his parents and trying to relate to them? I don't get it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think he'd been abused as a kid, hence the whole "without reward theres just no use for it" speech, in short he ws crazy as a loon.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i think he'd been abused as a kid, hence the whole "without reward theres just no use for it" speech, in short he ws crazy as a loon.
    yes...but....what was he recording on the dictaphone? he was acting out his childhood with zombies??

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    yes...but....what was he recording on the dictaphone? he was acting out his childhood with zombies??

That's the way I took it. Sort of a Norman Bates thing.

Kazakhstan
    lol "...mothers stockings...mother's stockings...little bastard"

scientists might use dictaphones to record their findings if their hands are too messy to use a pen & paper, i think it was kinda the equivalent of the "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy" bit in the shining...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    hmm yeah, its a shame Romero didn't use the time to grow that character trait in Logan....the whole film played out in the scientist's favour, and then we're made to realise that the "logical" approach to the outbreak is actually flawed, and psychotic just like the mantra of Rhodes and his cronies...hitting us with more realisations that Logan was indeed a mad git would have been more absorbing and allows one to literally draw a parallel between who they think is right...the soldiers or the scientists....of course it turns out those who had the right idea were the techie guys, John and Mcdermott.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    lol "...mothers stockings...mother's stockings...little bastard"

scientists might use dictaphones to record their findings if their hands are too messy to use a pen & paper, i think it was kinda the equivalent of the "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy" bit in the shining...
    hands down the creepiest scene in the shining.

which was the second film i saw , i was 4 at the time, wonder why i found that more creepy than the little girls, there the creepiest part now im older.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    hmm yeah, its a shame Romero didn't use the time to grow that character trait in Logan....the whole film played out in the scientist's favour, and then we're made to realise that the "logical" approach to the outbreak is actually flawed, and psychotic just like the mantra of Rhodes and his cronies...hitting us with more realisations that Logan was indeed a mad git would have been more absorbing and allows one to literally draw a parallel between who they think is right...the soldiers or the scientists....of course it turns out those who had the right idea were the techie guys, John and Mcdermott.
    Lack of ammo aside, I don't see why shooting the zombies was such a bad idea, especially when they had a few more soldiers alive to do so. It isn't popular to say so, but I never really considered John or Bill to be the "good" guys of the movie. It was clearly people like them and the scientists that were passive or apathetic enough to let the zombies overrun the world. I say that at the risk of being accused of missing the point of the movie but Sarah was right, John and Bill did nothing to contribute inside of the compound. Why on earth would armed and able-bodied soldiers want to spend the rest of their life on an island, unless they had completely given up? A scientist or civilian I could understand............

United States
    Excellent point about the "All work and no play...." scene from the Shining. It is the moment in the film that it is made obvious to the other characters that Jack has lost his grip on reality. Same with the recorder in Day. Logans scientific conclusions may still have been valid, but proof that he was off his rocker cast serious doubt on that. I am not sure that Billy and John has the "right" idea, just the one that they followed. At least they lived I guess.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Excellent point about the "All work and no play...." scene from the Shining. It is the moment in the film that it is made obvious to the other characters that Jack has lost his grip on reality. Same with the recorder in Day. Logans scientific conclusions may still have been valid, but proof that he was off his rocker cast serious doubt on that. I am not sure that Billy and John has the "right" idea, just the one that they followed. At least they lived I guess.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I guess they were apathetic to some degree but at the same point they were the only two to really see the ills of the human race and what they've created - and wanted nothing to do with it.

I think there was an air of them understanding that humanity had reached its end and the only real way to save it was to start fresh on an island and get away from the madness that humans have created and failed to deal with.

The soldiers jsut wanted to carry on in the same vein as they always have - "shoot first ask questions later" whilst the scientists were too wrapped up in trying to understand and deal with the problem, disect it and possibly cure it - and John and Mcdermott were more interested in saving the things that made the human race beautiful and worth saving - hence their little slice of paradise underground.

It almost seems like they believed that what makes us human isn't our physical form but the things we create and harvest - and that's what they were preserving rather than their own sense of safety and self worth....

Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post
    Lack of ammo aside, I don't see why shooting the zombies was such a bad idea, especially when they had a few more soldiers alive to do so. It isn't popular to say so, but I never really considered John or Bill to be the "good" guys of the movie. It was clearly people like them and the scientists that were passive or apathetic enough to let the zombies overrun the world. I say that at the risk of being accused of missing the point of the movie but Sarah was right, John and Bill did nothing to contribute inside of the compound. Why on earth would armed and able-bodied soldiers want to spend the rest of their life on an island, unless they had completely given up? A scientist or civilian I could understand............
    I guess the whole point was that even if you shot every zombie in existence you'd still have one left at the end of it.....you! You'd die eventually, basically - so there's no point in shooting them all cos its all gonna happen again when you die....if there's anyone left to eat haha

So logically the only real solution is to create a society where the dead returning to life is an accepted and dealt with thing, and to keep the two species apart and deal with any dead in as economical way as possible. (ala Land of the Dead) - something Logan seemed to be working towards.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 04-Jan-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post

John and Bill's mantra was to enjoy what you have while you still have it. Remember in Romero's movies anyone who dies becomes one of them so who knows when the curse would end, and fighting it is just meangingless. They had accepted humanity had come to an end, that figthing for the greater good was pointless, which is a lot more realistic than senseless sacrificial patriots. They were just normal people, and there's nothing wrong with the choices the made. What was stopping the soldiers from dropping their weapons and joining them? In the end, they came to the same conclusion - "the quicker we get out, the better", so in your mind, the story had no good characters?

Dead

Undisclosed
    John and Bill weren't soldiers, they were civilians. They were not ordered to contribute anything to the daily activities of the soldiers or the scientists. One would think they would help, but no one else knew electronics like Bill, nor could anyone else fly the "whirly bird" as John could. So, why take a chance?

Although people with the same mentality undoubtedly contributed to the fall of society to the dead, Bill and John were the most realistic ones in the bunker. From their isolationist perspective they were in the best position to see how hopeless the mission had become. After coming back from their most recent excursion to find survivors, they realized yet another solider had been buried (bringing the total to 2 civilians, 3 scientists and 7 soldiers...all of whom are on their way to a mental breakdown in their own individual timetables). They also see how many more zombies were putting an ever-increasing strain on the one little fence that separated them from having their flesh torn from their bodies. Ammunition was low, medical and communication equipment was hopelessly outdated, and continued failures at re-establishing dialogue with the government or an outside agency/group heavily outweighed the pitiful amount of understanding that had gained during their hibernation underground.

Bottom Line----It was time to get the f*ck out!

With one helicopter capable of holding only five people and no ground vehicles...Rhodes should have been working on an evacuation plan.

Had they been able to come to a consensus on leaving, how would the group done it most efficiently?