Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: middle finger to your twangy score

Italy

middle finger to your twangy score

in the great library of music, from past to present, i am sure 99.9 of all undead themes are found in metal. You guys are just to mean. also, i hear some of the stuff the UK exports, musicwise. LADY SOVEREIGN FOREVER! Keep critiquing, my brit friends, but know you leave me unphased.

check out Six Feet Under - The Day the Dead Walked the Earth. It's good and totally uncomprehensible.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Hmmm, someone forgot to take their lithium today.

Really though, what are you talking about?

United States
    What the hell is this thread about?

United States
    um.............

United States
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused.

United States
    Anyone considered adding an unmoderated forum to HPOTD? Raving Zombies perhaps?

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Lord Howe Island

wtf are you saying?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 7734 View Post
    in the great library of music, from past to present, i am sure 99.9 of all undead themes are found in metal. You guys are just to mean. also, i hear some of the stuff the UK exports, musicwise. LADY SOVEREIGN FOREVER! Keep critiquing, my brit friends, but know you leave me unphased.

check out Six Feet Under - The Day the Dead Walked the Earth. It's good and totally uncomprehensible.
    LADY SOVEREIGN?!?

I find your lack of faith....disturbing...

War to the knife...the knife to the hilt.
    The end is f*cking nigh!!!

Undisclosed
    actually I'd say it is prett undeniable that punk and psychobilly have the most undead themes in their songs

if you want proof listen to the misfits
    theres gotta be at least 10 songs based just on zombie movies

night of the living dead, astro zombies, ghouls night out , london dugeon
    off the top of my head
    seriously the band is themed around B movies and killing things

plus psychobilly is all filled with the undead
    i really cant think of a pschobilly cd without zombies
    psychobily is a subgenre of rockabilly that mixed with punk to be faster and more distorted
    the bands usually have upright basses
    and all the songs are about horror movies, monsters, the 50s, and zombies
    examples: the horror pops
    the cramps
    the genre is pretty much defined by its love of zombies and rock and roll

i dont listen to metal
    but im betting its not entirely based on old horror movies and hammer films like psychobilly

other than your reference to metal being full of zombies
    I TOO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!
    were you drunk?
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

Italy

chomp

ok, lithium down. All I was saying (i thought it made sense) was that once i posted about metal and zombies and it seems the bristish faction of these forums descended upon me and tore up a new one (or maybe i hadn't taken my lithium then either).

So i was butt hurt, and needed venting. Plus undead refernces permeate the metal genre (but i am too lazy to post at length and in detail). And not just zombie movies but all sorts of tales related to the state of undeath. Most scandinavian death/hardcore I consider downright mythological.

In other words, sorry for the retard ramble. I will return to the shamble.

Super Moderator

Germany
    OK, gotcha. We didn't really understand the context of your prior exchange with the UK folks.

Banned User

United States

HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Hmmm, someone forgot to take their lithium today.

Really though, what are you talking about?

lol. FUNNY.

ok, lithium down. All I was saying (i thought it made sense) was that once i posted about metal and zombies and it seems the bristish faction of these forums descended upon me and tore up a new one (or maybe i hadn't taken my lithium then either).

So i was butt hurt, and needed venting. Plus undead refernces permeate the metal genre (but i am too lazy to post at length and in detail). And not just zombie movies but all sorts of tales related to the state of undeath. Most scandinavian death/hardcore I consider downright mythological.

Ya it seems most zombie music has heavy metal soundtracks. Actually all horror movies seem to as well. I do not think any music by Barry Manalow will fit in well with the ripping of guts and gore. Metal music and gore seem to go hand in hand. i still do not understand your British reference in the first post!?!?!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    speaking as one of the british guys in this forum, what the hell is this guy talking about?

ViP

Undisclosed

It made perfect sense to me. In fact, I see your point entirely. As I've said in this topic previously, although I may boast heavier tastes than most, I know as well as any that the music doesn't always fit a horror picture or zombie flick. Some indies and even some mainstream films have proven their inability to properly paint a mood in such films by overcompensating on the drama they intended to have. We end up with a movie that's all filler - lots of needless bloodshed for it's own sake and loud awful metal (usually by bands undeserving of the privilege of donating their track).

Bands like Six Feet Under and others that fixate on the genre or horror in general, tend to make a lot of their content and visuals directly related to some of these films. Mortician would have to be my favorite in terms of visuals - their album covers are great!

But back to the point, it all depends on the situation. It's not really accurate to say metal should never be in a horror or zombie movie, but at the same time it really isn't fair to assume it should always be present in the genre. because, like I've said previously, ambience and mood are far more important to me than brutality when it comes to music in film.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I don't care if its got voices from Romero's work - if its Death metal its usually pants...and Six Feet Under definitely falls into that catagory for me....however I listen to Dream Theater so don't ask me!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    . I do not think any music by Barry Manalow will fit in well with the ripping of guts and gore. !
    Actually I think that would be hilarious. Juxtaposition is a great tool. "Contrast I write the songs" over a hideous feast scene.
    Contrasting Scores are a rarely used choice, such as the end of Unbreakable where Bruce Willis battles the serial Killer. The score is a laconic and dark but almost sweet soundng orchestral score with an underlying sadness. It is in tune with the themes of the film, but totally contarsts what ou would normally see in a scene like that. I thought it was genius.

Whats wrong with Lady Soverign? That girl is a doing better rhymes than 90 percent of US male rappers.

I think Metal being in horror films has more to do with Fans of metal getting to the age anf point in their careers where they can make a film. Metal fans usually love Horror films and all things on the dark side. I just think the film makers often just love metal and they use it when they can.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers