Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: even by todays standards this is awesome

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

even by todays standards this is awesome

just got given by a freind a copy of the 2 disc special edition silent hill 2 for free that he found in the attic of a gameshop were he works, still sealed in the wrapping ,perfect discs with the stickers, i could ebay this for a fair amount, totally awesome collectors item, but i watched the dvd and saw this trailer for e3, like 7 years ago , and i thought i should point this out, its around 6-7 years old and it looked that good then, bloody haunting game and easily the best looking game on the ps2 for years.

if you havent played this game yet, you need to, it is up there with final fntasy 7, metal gear solid and ocarina of time as one of the most memorable gameing experiences ever, this is the best horror game youll ever play, in fact im off to right now

United States
    Nice find man, isn't it great finding rare gaming stuff like that? I tried playing Silent Hill for PS1, but I got tired of hitting deformed creatures and babies with a lead pipe and gave up on it after about an hour
    I guess I'm more of a Resident Evil guy.

capncnut
    This is a game I hold very close to my heart. Quite possibly the greatest survival horror of ALL time and a game I still slide in the disc tray from time to time. The music and atmosphere is unmatched. Whenever I put Silent Hill 2 on, it literally transports me to that town. I don't just play the game, I feel it and it is a pleasure every time.

The story is cryptic and one that you will not understand fully until you have played it many times. Graphically, it still holds up too. I played it through recently and a friend of mine remarked that the graphics were still good for a game that was made "a few years ago". When I pointed out that SH2 was 7 years old, he widened his eyes and had a fit! Other than the mighty Shenmue, you will not find a game thats 7 years old with graphics like this. The Xbox version really is a treat if anyone wants to take a peek.

Some people moan that the endings aren't visual enough but I think they do what they need to. The 'Maria' scenario in the later versions was atmospherically awesome and really added so much more to what was already an amazing game. With it's tragic characterisation and rich town history, the Silent Hill series really is one of the better gaming franchises out there and one that all horror fans should investigate.

And the boat controls on hard are a bitch!
    Last edited by capncnut; 17-Feb-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ^what he said, plus i allways got the leave ending.

capncnut
    Well, the Leave ending is pretty common. If you're the type of person who prefers to get on with the mission quickly but likes to view all the cutscenes then this matches the critera needed to get the Leave ending. For example, if you get the Maria business done quickly and often run ahead of her then that's one of the Leave objectives, as is listening to Mary's reminiscences at the end in full. Also, replenishing your health unnecessarily might accidentally give you that ending so you have to watch out.

The only thing I want to know is, what is the most powerful colour Hyper Spray? I got the white spray and was startled to see how effective it is against the moth swarms during the final boss. Apparently there is one colour that can pretty much defeat all creatures but I have never been awarded it yet.
    Last edited by capncnut; 18-Feb-2007 at 10:37 PM.

United States
    I love that game, I got it for a Christmas present from my friend when it came out in 2001 and it has been one of my favorite games since.

I remember taking it with my on vacation to this boring little town in northern Michigan. My family and friends made fun of me for bringing my PS2 with me, but I didn't care. I was playing it at night and the ambient sounds were creeping people out, it was great.

So yeah, if you ever get a chance to play a survival horror game in the middle of nowhere do so. It adds to the effects 10 fold.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Super Moderator

UK
    I take it you mean the actual in-game footage, rather than the pre-rendered video sequences, which are just cheating.

Yeah, the graphics don't look like total ass, even today, but today's "standards" are the likes of Alan Wake ... so ...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJonas190 View Post
    I love that game, I got it for a Christmas present from my friend when it came out in 2001 and it has been one of my favorite games since.

I remember taking it with my on vacation to this boring little town in northern Michigan. My family and friends made fun of me for bringing my PS2 with me, but I didn't care. I was playing it at night and the ambient sounds were creeping people out, it was great.

So yeah, if you ever get a chance to play a survival horror game in the middle of nowhere do so. It adds to the effects 10 fold.

i'll see that and raise you forbidden siren in a broken down car in the middle of nowere at mid night waiting for the AA, creepy-as-fook

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i'll see that and raise you forbidden siren in a broken down car in the middle of nowere at mid night waiting for the AA, creepy-as-fook
    I'll see that and raise you Silent Hill 1 in a caravan park (which was situated next to cemetary I might add) during an all-night thunderstorm.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ....mother****er.

as for what mz said, trust me i do not merit this on merely graphics alone, thats for people who play racing games and football ones (yes i hate em), this game was a masterpiece, and was as close to film making on a 2000 era console as you could get, the atmosphere ,the setting, the incredible soundtrack everything just sticks with you for good, mention silent hill to a fan and they'll get all misty-eyed over how ****ing good this game was, definatley a ps2 masterpiece.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This will always be in my top 5 games of all time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    first off if you aint played sh2 yet at least go to this site and get the soudntrack, i think a fair few of you will love the soundtrack on its on, you can get it here.

http://www.evilunleashed.com/v2/index.php

anyhoo one of my favourite songs on the silent hill 2 OST is 'love psalm' and i found a vid on the 'tube of some guys playing it, it aint as good as yamoakas origional but its still pretty good for a live version

capncnut
    That was pretty good man.

Canada
    if you havent played this game yet, you need to, it is up there with final fntasy 7, metal gear solid and ocarina of time as one of the most memorable gameing experiences ever, this is the best horror game youll ever play, in fact im off to right now
    SH2 sucked compared to the first one. SH1 for the ps1 is still the best in the series.Even the grafx stil stand up in my books.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i gotta disagree it suffered from the old ps1 blocky polygon syndrome ,plus the sountrack wasnt as good and it didnt have the great shock twist at the end either, its still a great game, i just prefer the second one, the first ones still great though, i swear the town is bigger in the first one too.