Thread: DAY location

Italy

DAY location

In The anchor Bay 2 disc release of Day, the liner notes (a mock pad of Logan's notes) on the back page, in Frankenstein's own writing, it says:

"This never would have worked on an island."

Irrefutable!
    Last edited by 7734; 10-Jan-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    But Logan is looney tunes, so can you trust anything he says (or writes)?

Why does one of the other characters say mainland, implying they're not on it?

My theory (repeated from a previous thread):

They were tons of zombies outside the fence. hundreds? thousands?. If there were on an island and no more zombies were coming, it would have made sense to thin them out. Shoot 900 out 1000 and leave the rest outside.

It would reduce the threat and the pressure on the fence.

That makes me think, there must be someway for more zombies to arrive.

So it can't be an ISOLATED island. It could still be an island connected to the mainland via causeways and/or bridges.

Second thing, they mention they are in the Seminole Storage Facility

Third, they also say they had gone 100 miles up and down the coast in the helicoper, if I remember right. I think that implies they can't be in the panhandle, or at the very Southern tip of Florida.

So my theory, maybe they are on an island, connected by causeway near Seminole Florida. Take a look at a map and look what the Gulf Blvd causeway connects, lots of islands.

( won't let me post a URL - go to maps.google.com and type Seminole Florida)

Italy
    yes, logan is f* looney toons. (also the DVD liner was someone else's concept, my "irrefutable" comment was made to be humorous).

But it is right, Day would not have worked on an island, simply because Logan's team needed access to unlimited corpses.

And if they were on an island, why would John mention 'finding a nice island somewhere' in the beginning of the movie (just before they enter the bunker for the first time)?

And McDermott's comment, "the power's out on the mainland and all the shopping malls are closed", seems sarcastic to me, and circumstantial when applying it to prove the location of Day. He applies 'mainland' to pretty much everywhere that he is not, i.e. where other people should be.

No, i believe John's "finding a nice island somewhere" is a determining factor in the Day location.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Well if was a natural island, but no longer an actual island because somebody had a built a causeway before the outbreak

Then sometimes characters could regard the location as being an island.

And sometimes the characters could regard the location as being not an island.

Also, if you drive around that part of Florida on Gulf Blvd, it's not always obvious, unless you have a map, whether you are on an island, or the mainland. It just seems like 1 long road along the coast.

Another reason to support my theory?

United States
    This map shows Sanibel Island, as well as many other islands near Ft. Myers, both large and small.

As you can see, the island is somewhat isolated, but still has mainland access. Sanibel Island on the map is identified by the street "Periwinkle Way". I think that John is referring to an island that is not connected to the mainland, where they can just forget abuot the zombie problem and "soak up some sun". There is a difference between a small, unihabited island as opposed to a big island with businesses, private homes, bridge access to the mainland, etc.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 11-Jan-2007 at 01:47 AM.

Undisclosed

Question hey philly!

hey philly looking at your pictures i wonder did you get to visit the location for night?

United States
    If you click the link underneath my banner, you will see pics of me at the cemetary from Night. Other than some trees no longer there due to storm damage, the cemetary pretty much looks the same.

capncnut
    Damn, your photos are fantastic Philly. I love the screen shot comparisons, truly awesome. Have you ever been to the airport from Dawn? I have always wanted to "see what's left of the hangars."

Great images there buddy.

United States
    If you look at my sig pic, you will see a pic of me near the airport building that Peter enters, and a pic of me where the gas pumps used to be (you can still see the light pole there). I have a lot of pics of the airport area, just havent posted them anywhere yet.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    doesn't it seem obvious that if they were really on an island they wouldn't have needed to escape anywhere? There had to be a constant unending threat from the living dead because that's the whole point in these movies - they're unlimited in numbers. Putting the survivors on an island makes the need for them to escape with the helicopter and fly somewhere irrelevant and limits the overall threat to their safety. The amount of zombies that we saw outside certainly wasn't a cause for alarm considering the amount of bullets that were fired at the end of the movie between all the main characters...(really its one shot per zombie and they didn't need to have automatic firing set up on their machine guns...)

To me it seems like they were out in the styx and the comment about "mainland" simply referred to the nearby cities .

United States
    I have never, in real life or in a film, heard someone refer to nearby cities as "the mainland" if the person saying that was not on an island, even if they were out in the styx. I am not sure where you live or the geography of your region, but here in Florida there are many islands that are not small, have ample road/bridge access from the mainland to them, and some basically have entire cities on them. If in fact an undergroung complex such as that could exist in Florida, and the military decided to occupy it in times of trouble, like a zombie outbreak, it would make sense to have it in a remote area such as a big island as opposed to smack dab in the middle of a population center. And again, with the possibility of trouble with the chopper itself, and no evidence of a military boat in the movie, it would not be good to be on an island with no road/bridge access in case you needed to leave the island other than by air.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    If there were on an island and no more zombies were coming

If it was an island the dummies didnt blow the bridges
    Sara
    "every day more of THEM"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongholio View Post

Sara
    "every day more of THEM"
    How are a bunch of stoner soldiers supposed to set demolition charges while zombies are constantly trying to eat them? That's even if they had explosives.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongholio View Post

Sara
    "every day more of THEM"
    All that meant was that more zombies in their neck of the woods were catching wind of the bunker's location. People who had already been zombies for weeks or months. It didn't mean more new zombies were being created and just "showing up." By the time the events at the beginning of the movie were taking place, everybody who was out in the open would have been bitten long ago. Other than the people in the bunker, you'd pretty much seen the end of large numbers of people around the US being turned into zombies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I always figured they were on the mainland because of the helicopter shot early in the film with them flying over palms and such. But It does make sense for them to be on an island. Why?

1) McDermott's mainland comment.

2) The original script took place on an Island where they experimented on zombies on a much grander scale than in this script.

3) It would explain why their fences weren't overrun by thousands of zombies. Now there appears to be more like two hundred or so.