Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EVP: what do you think?

Canada
    i'm the exact opposite. I know that there are things out tehre that we find hard to believe...I've always been a very spiritual person myself, even when i didn't belive in God...

This stuff scares the hell out of me, cuz i know it's real.

capncnut
    An old work colleague of mine was telling me today that when he moved out of his marital home (his wife left months earlier), he set up a tape recorder when the place was empty. When he examined the cassette a few weeks after, the words "I miss you" could be heard clearly. He has never experimented with EVP since.

United States
    I believe in it. I will not experiment with it because my house is already haunted and quite frankly I am afriad to try it. Anyway, I am creeped out because I can feel myself being watched right now... I could feel it before I started reading this, but it has gotten stronger now. Later folks.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I believe our perceoption doesnt allow us to see everything and that sometimes people do see outside of reality. Mostly I believe that ghosts are recordings of a sort, and anything that communicates is a spirit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah recordings is what id believe at a bit of a stretch to, the idea we all go to heaven or float around your house for eternity moaning sounds ,or (according to brandon dicomillo) fly around the galaxy on a rocket ship with george washington, all sound dumb as hell, and the idea you could leave some sorta imprint in some kinda of spectrum unkown to man or somethign of the like sounds a little more plausible, but not by too much.

which is why i think you gotta live life to the full, cus when your gone, your gone.

Haiti
    Nigel Kneale ( He of Quatermass fame) wrote a tv drama aired in 1972 called "The Stone Tape" about a bunch of scientists trying to record the goings on in a Victorian haunted house. The idea was that the building itself had somehow been imprinted with echoes of the terrible events that had unfolded there.

Similarly, the famous dowser/archeologist T.C. Lethbridge theorized that a place could somehow become charged by strong emotions, e.g grief, rage, lust etc.
    He encountered the phenomena, which he reffered to as a "Ghoul", himself on a clifftop in Devon where at one point in particular on his walk along the cliff he was overcome by an overpowering feeling of depression and dread which lifted as soon as he moved away from the area. He later learned that a guy had leapt to his death from that very spot.

I think a lot of EVP can probably be put down to the human knack of seeking patterns out of randomness, we all do it when we fancy that we hear voices in the wind or see faces in the clouds etc, it's a well recognized trait and would explain some but not all of the EVP that I've heard. Some of it is just down right weird and not easily dismissed.

It may be that just as not everyone can dowse; not everyone can see/hear "ghosts". I put the word in quotes 'cause I think that while people do experience instances of "non-ordinary reality" and see/hear incredible things,
    I'm loathe to claim that what they experience are in fact visitations from beyond the grave. Who knows what they are? That people experience these things is beyond doubt. I think that sometimes we in the modern post-enlightenment world think we have all the answers, we imagine that two hundred years of industrialized enlightenment has made us masters of this earth and has somehow banished some 30.000+ years of human experience.
    Last edited by Chakobsa; 13-Jan-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Canada
    exactly..i honestly don't know why anyone could disregard such things as the supernatural.....everything can't be explained in this world, and never will be, at least in this life