Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roger's behaviour a script flaw?

Undisclosed

roger and his death

Roger was my favorite character
    I thought his facial reactions were complete and utter insanity as time went on
    like someone else said above me
    I think he was getting a bit too caught up in how easy it all seemed

how easily they took the mall
    how easily they walked past the zombies
    how easy it was to kill them
    he was so fast
    and they were so slow
    him so smart
    and them so dumb

he had everything at his disposal, a dream that materialistic 1970s america (not that its changed much)
    was obsessed upon

the dream of owning it all
    it seemed he was a god

so
    he got lax
    less aware of the danger

while flyboy really got greedy
    roger simply got cocky

while the world slipped into the grip of mass hysteria and chaos
    roger and his friends had found a palace
    they had found it, in Rogers mind maybe he took this as a sign that they were better than the rest
    smarter than he rest of the world as they died in houses and city flats
    they were better off than most of the world, barricaded with supplies and tools
    more wealthy than they had been in normal life
    it was roger and the rest who were not only surviving, but living the good life

the slow hints at his mental state and psychological fatigue show in his reactions and face
    sure hes got the energy
    but when he ran past all those zombies
    didnt it seem like roger was just playing games?

he didnt expect to slip up
    and when he did and Peter blew the zombies brains all over him
    it was shattered

his bravery and skill
    was shredded

so I took his going back for the bag as an attempt to demonstrate to himself that he still had it
    he could still beat them all, outsmart them all
    and so he went even harder to prove that his luck,finesse, and instincts were still intact
    desperate to recreate his illusion of control
    but he didnt pull off the stunt

and so he died

ps. anyone else think "we got this by the ass " is a really bizarre thing to say?
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

United States
    ps. anyone else think "we got this by the ass " is a really bizarre thing to say?
    Yes. I dont think that was even a "catch-phrase" or anything even back then.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Yea, but apparently the word "man" was... Jesus did they say that a lot in that movie.

Actually, after reading this thread I think I'm gonna go watch Dawn right now...

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

Undisclosed

Ive heard it said growing up.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    I always thought of it as a gradual madness and the sheer danger of blocking the entrance made him crack under pressure. Not only that but earlier on all four of 'em nearly got killed at the airport so the importance of the team's survival must have been playing on his mind. I also see shades of madness in him beforehand when he flashes that grin while offing zombies or the odd close-up where his facial expression changes strangely.

There are a few scenes in the movie where Roger is not a happy bunny. For example when he shares a smoke with Peter in the 107 basement (seems confused and desperate to run) or when they escape from the airport, he is biting his nails and looking sketchy as Peter and Flyboy bicker in the helicopter.

I'm rambling now but I say it was a gradual thing.
    I agree. When he is first introduced, he almost seems to be enjoying the structured process of the raid, smiling and joking about the chiefs canned plea with Martinez over the bullhorn.

The Other two SWAT members in that scene, Tucker and Wooley, are almost symbolic representations of Rogers dual personality. two other SWAT members prominent in that scene. On one hand is the timid, frightened Mr. Tucker. On the other is the wild and wooley Mr...Wooley. Thats reading waaay to much into it but hey, we are discussing Rogers descent into madness.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm sure there would be plenty of people that'd crack like Roger did. All the pressure and horror of dealing with zombies and having to not only take care of yourself but also look out for 3 other people would be sure to make some people go insane.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya View Post
    Yea, but apparently the word "man" was... Jesus did they say that a lot in that movie.

Actually, after reading this thread I think I'm gonna go watch Dawn right now...
    People didn't really say dude or guy or whatnot then. It was man all the way, with an occasional Bro. 60s /70s that was definately the word of choice.
    And people did say "i got this by the ass" or "they got me by the ass"
    Maybe it was a northeast thing, or fell out of favor in the early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I'm sure there would be plenty of people that'd crack like Roger did. All the pressure and horror of dealing with zombies and having to not only take care of yourself but also look out for 3 other people would be sure to make some people go insane.
    People crack under way, way less pressure. Some people wig out over basically nothing.
    Last edited by coma; 17-Jan-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    What I wanna know is: when John Harrison is on top of Roger, why didn't the other 2 just pick him up? They were right there. Why would you even think about shooting him? They were 5 feet away!!!

United States
    Presumably because they didnt want to get bitten themselves. Why grab a zombie when you have a gun in your hand? Either way there was a risk to Roger, why risk themselves as well?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

why didn't the other 2 just pick him up?

I don't think you can rationalise this bit dramatically. George realised he had a continuity problem with Roger's sweater no longer being around his waist, so added this scene to explain it. The way Peter stands there pointing his gun then looking unsure, that's pretty unconvincing. With the benefit of hindsight he and flyboy should have kept on running, unaware of Roger's situation. Of course they could have dealt with it, it's a clumsy moment

United States
    With the benefit of hindsight he and flyboy should have kept on running, unaware of Roger's situation.
    You dont think that Roger falling to the floor would have created noise? And dont you think if they had kept running, they would have realised quickly that Roger was no longer with them? And you dont think Roger would have called out to them if they had kept running?

A better question would be, why was that zombie standing totally still with a bunch of manequins, and then lashed out at Roger, who was third in line?

Undisclosed
    A better question would be, why was that zombie standing totally still with a bunch of manequins, and then lashed out at Roger, who was third in line?
    This was my next question (that occurred to me last night). But I think he lashed out at Roger cause he wanted that sweater.

capncnut
    The mannequin zombie lashed out at Roger 'cos he knew it would make the popcorn fly.

United States

theres the straw that broke the camels back

I didn't think it was purely so someone 'good' would turn into a zombie. I felt he was the kind of person who puts up a brave front but eventually stuff eats at him so bad that he began to lose it. I mean coming close to death that first time in the trucks and having lived he felt he was impervious to death. Welcome to the real world Roger, when the floor falls out and you dont fall too far beware... you never know when its going to fall out again...
    he got cocky and lost his marbles
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I didn't think it was purely so someone 'good' would turn into a zombie. I felt he was the kind of person who puts up a brave front but eventually stuff eats at him so bad that he began to lose it. I mean coming close to death that first time in the trucks and having lived he felt he was impervious to death. Welcome to the real world Roger, when the floor falls out and you dont fall too far beware... you never know when its going to fall out again...
    he got cocky and lost his marbles
    "Do you think it's right to run?" Roger asks Peter in the basement.

Sometimes people with trauma and survivors guilt put themselves into suicidal situations on purpose. They dont want to die, but dont want to live so they put themselves in dangerous positions. He was a Swat team police officer and was , I believe, supposed to have been a marine so it wasnt the first time he was in harms way.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers