Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roger's behaviour a script flaw?

Italy

Roger's behaviour a script flaw?

Somehow, the way things spiraled down with Roger just never made much sense.

Yeah, he was a bit of a hyperactive fool, but for the whole first half of the film he was cool and calculated. The man moved with finesse and precision; there didn't seem to be a second's worth of hesitation or fear when he was grabbed by the handyman zombie. he just shoved the screwdriver in his ear and la di da went back to business.

then in the trucks, supposedly where he grew up, he started losing it.
    Am i the only one who thinks that this change in behaviour was just tossed in so that someone could die and turn? Roger forgetting his bag and then going a little ape**** when bathed in zombie blood makes little sense to me.

capncnut
    I always thought of it as a gradual madness and the sheer danger of blocking the entrance made him crack under pressure. Not only that but earlier on all four of 'em nearly got killed at the airport so the importance of the team's survival must have been playing on his mind. I also see shades of madness in him beforehand when he flashes that grin while offing zombies or the odd close-up where his facial expression changes strangely.

There are a few scenes in the movie where Roger is not a happy bunny. For example when he shares a smoke with Peter in the 107 basement (seems confused and desperate to run) or when they escape from the airport, he is biting his nails and looking sketchy as Peter and Flyboy bicker in the helicopter.

I'm rambling now but I say it was a gradual thing.
    Last edited by capncnut; 13-Jan-2007 at 12:44 AM.

United States
    I dont think it was so much a gradual thing, unless you mean that he had reached his breaking point. He had been dealing with the zombie outbreak for weeks as a SWAT officer, clearing out buildings and blowing zombies away. When he went to the basement, he was feeling physically sick at the carnage he had just witnessed, but quickly gathered himself together. When they went to the area where the residents had been storing there dead, it was Peter who had a momentary lapse in resolve, he runs out of bullets, and instead an immediately reloading, he hesitates and starts to cry. It is Roger who steps in and shoots the zombie crawling toward Peter, and then Peter regains his composure.

At the airport, Roger acts calmly and dispatches the airport zombie with due haste. After they leave the airport, Roger plays peacemaker between Peter and Flyboy in the chopper. At the truckyard, he has the face and brains of a female zombie splatter all over his face. At this point, he becomes a little unhinged. Peter brings him back to reality with the "your not just playing with your life, your playing with mine" speech. When Roger gets bit, he is back in control, it was just a misfortunate circumstance.

Of course, it was a major plot point that Roger got bit and then turned, but I think GAR laid out a believable path in Roger temporarily losing control. He forgot the bag when he was still in a bad mental-state, before Peter brings him back around.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    When he went to the basement, he was feeling physically sick at the carnage he had just witnessed.
    A good enough reason to get the ball rolling.

At the truckyard, he has the face and brains of a female zombie splatter all over his face. At this point, he becomes a little unhinged.
    Well if you remember correctly he was unhinged a little while before that when he started hollering and screaming as he jumped out of the truck. At one point he allows a zombie to touch his face for a full couple of seconds before decking him. He became cocky and sure of himself. In other words, he lost it. Way before he blew Jeannie Jeffries head off.

Banned User

United States
    well i di dnot notice any real change till he was bitten. but he was indeed careless at the trucks. I mean he is a trained sniper i would think, he was overly care free that day i agree

United States
    Way before he blew Jeannie Jeffries head off.
    Roger didnt blow her head off, Peter did.

I dont think he "allowed" the zombie to touch his face, the zombie just did as he was trying to attack him, and Roger temporarily froze.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I always considered it as a person dealing with a problem for so long that it begins to tear at them. The final breaking point was when the zombie touched his face. This was the final breaking point, to me.

He thought he was invincible, but when the zombie got very close to him and he ultimatly escaped, that's when he lost himself and reality. He took it to mean that no matter what.....he would be okay. He was strong.

Also, I think the illusion of "owning" the mall was clouding his judgment...
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Jan-2007 at 04:13 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I always considered it as a person dealing with a problem for so long that it begins to tear at them. The final breaking point was win the zombie touched his face. This was the final breaking point to me.

He thought he was invincible, but when the zombie got very close to him and he ultimatly escaped, that's when he lost himself and reality. He took it to mean that no matter what.....he would be okay. He was strong.

Last edited by bassman; 13-Jan-2007 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Opps. I don't know how this double post happened?...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I wasnt sure which post to respond to, so I chose this one!

This is a good point. I think of all us get a little too caught up in "owning" anything. We will all be dead one day, and at that point, we will not longer own anything. We let ownership of our material possesions cloud our judgement every day.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    They were all flawed to the point of being self-destructive, apart from Fran. They all demonstrated a particular flaw in the film.

Roger's flaw was carelessness. He was careless inside the mall, but got away with it. Later he got bit because of his carelessness.

Stephen's flaw was arrogance. He thought he was as good as the SWAT guys with guns. He was arrogant when refueling the plane, and in the maintenance room. Later he got bit because of his carelessness.

Peter's flaw was being ready to give up. In the basement killing zombies he nearly gives up. At the end when Fran gets on the helicopter he nearly gives up again (I understand in one version he does give up and stay behind).

I think maybe the whole think is symbolic. We are all flawed and will become unstuck as a result. But will the next generation (Fran's baby) repeat the flaws??

United States
    When they went to the area where the residents had been storing there dead, it was Peter who had a momentary lapse in resolve, he runs out of bullets, and instead an immediately reloading, he hesitates and starts to cry.
    It may be a little off-topic, but I've got to say I've always loved the subtlety of that part, how you have to look sort of close to see that single tear going down Peter's face.

Anyways, back on topic, it was sort of obvious that he was mentally unstable, watch his facial expressions throughout the movie after the raid, they're so erratic. As soon as they got into the mall you could start to see it in his attitude that he was losing it. This of course ended up in him being bitten and his untimely demise.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

United States
    (I understand in one version he does give up and stay behind).
    This in not in a version of the film, only in the original script, for the record.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya View Post
    it was sort of obvious that he was mentally unstable, watch his facial expressions throughout the movie after the raid, they're so erratic. As soon as they got into the mall you could start to see it in his attitude that he was losing it.
    Completely true. Someone who has eyes!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya View Post
    It may be a little off-topic, but I've got to say I've always loved the subtlety of that part, how you have to look sort of close to see that single tear going down Peter's face.
    That is one thing that is better about the Cannes cut than the theatrical cut. In the theatrical, GAR cuts out the tear shot, and Roger coming over and shooting the approaching zombie, and Peter kind of hitting Roger on the arm with his arm as if to say "good looking out". Then Roger shoots a bunch of other zombies, and then the other dude opens the shute door and says "Jese Christ. You OK down here?" IN the theatrical, in my memory serves, it just shows Roger step in and shoot one zombie, then goes directly to the shut opening.

Banned
    Banned User

United States