Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Who you gonna call?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Okay. THERE ARE NO SPOILERS HERE!

I'm roughly halfway through the game now. I know that everyone here thinks this "halfway review" will be biased as I am a huge fan of the franchise, but I'll do my best to be fair. So I'll split it up into a few different categories...

Controls/Gaming - Whoa. I feared the act of trapping a ghost would get boring in this game, but at halfway through it's only becoming more fun. It's hard to put a finger on, but they truely found a way to make this fun, original, and never old. You're introduced to many new "equipment" pieces throughout the first half of the game and each one of them is important and most importantly...fun.

The best way that I can describe all of the capture equipment is "fishing". It reminds me of fishing. The ghost pulls one way while you have to pull another. You can't pull too far or you'll lose the fish. It turns into a certain balance of the two. Not to mention in the middle of all this you have to throw out your trap and switch between different firing modes depending on the ghost.

Story - With only half the game down, the story is just OKAY. They've found a way to incorporate classic ghosts/scenes from the first film and also make new ones.

Characters - The boys in beige are back, guys! Remember all those classic lines from the films? There's plenty of new ones here.

So this is a kinda half assed review because I'm tired, but so far I can say this....If you're a child of the eighties and like Ghostbusters, buying this game is a no-brainer. If you're a hard core gamer looking for something a bit new, this is probably a rental, possibly a purchase. I think this game is going to do well on several different levels. It's entertaining and fun WITHOUT Ghostbusters being the source, and it's just better that Ghostbusters IS a source. Easily one of the best movie-based video games. A sequel is probably coming...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jun-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Best wishes for a bang up, balls to the walls last half of the game, Bassman!

Thanks for the review. This is on my list to pick up, but sadly not this month.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A pretty solid game, I would say. I've just re-started it on the hardest difficulty setting.

The ending is a bit dull, but still fun. And there are SOOOOO many little references in the firehouse. This game really oozes with respect to the franchise/fans. Quite a few famous guest voices in the game, too.(Max Von Sydow is back as the voice of Vigo. He's alot of fun. I ended up talking to him for about 30 minutes...)

If you don't have it, at the very least give it a rental. It's definitely worth that. My only major complaint is that it felt a bit short the first time around, but this time I'm going to take it slow and make sure I don't miss any of the little achievements and artifacts.

The 8 out of 10 reviews that it's been getting are correct. It's a solid game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    A pretty solid game, I would say. I've just re-started it on the hardest difficulty setting.

The ending is a bit dull, but still fun. And there are SOOOOO many little references in the firehouse. This game really oozes with respect to the franchise/fans. Quite a few famous guest voices in the game, too.(Max Von Sydow is back as the voice of Vigo. He's alot of fun. I ended up talking to him for about 30 minutes...)

If you don't have it, at the very least give it a rental. It's definitely worth that. My only major complaint is that it felt a bit short the first time around, but this time I'm going to take it slow and make sure I don't miss any of the little achievements and artifacts.

The 8 out of 10 reviews that it's been getting are correct. It's a solid game.
    please tell me i was right about a stream crossing achievement.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    please tell me i was right about a stream crossing achievement.
    Without giving anything away....It happens, but I'm not sure if it was an achievement. I'll have to go look through the list and get back to you on that. Crossing the streams isn't a good idea though....

Undisclosed
    No crossing the streams achievement...Check em out http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I picked it up today. Only had a chance to play the first level and a couple of online matches.

TONS of fun so far, though.

Also got a free t-shirt with the game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I picked it up today. Only had a chance to play the first level and a couple of online matches.

TONS of fun so far, though.

Also got a free t-shirt with the game.
    The first level sort of got on my nerves. I know they have to teach the player how to control the pack, but they take it so slow when it's not that difficult at all...

The Times Square and Public Library levels are when the game really picks up and gets going. The Library level is creepy, too. Little kid voices echoing around the room and handprints that appear and disappear on the walls. *shivers*

EDIT: I found this interesting video comparing the graphics of GB:TVG on the 360 to the PS3. With this game being Sony's franchise, you would think the PS3 would win out. But you would be wrong.

Man I love this fucking game. Setting up tonight for Xbox live for the first time. I've got about 6 of those free month trial cards, so i'm going to give it a go. Anyone want to meet up for some multiplayer?
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Jun-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Undisclosed
    I rented the game yesterday afternoon,but haven't played it yet.

United States
    ahh next gen consoles. i have a pretty large inventory of ps2 games that i trade in for the essentials like ghostbusters. i payed nothing for this game except ps2 games and i must say it was worth it. so much fun! i am a longtime fan as well. i wouldve KILLED for this when i was a kid haha. i find myself saying that a lot these days. as i left gamestop, the fellow behind was also trading in ps2 games. i doubt they sell too many. i wonder when gamestop will stop taking them. i'll bet it's soon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've never even considered trading in all my old console games. They still take regular xbox games?

Glad to see people around here enjoying the game. Trust me on this...it gets better and better as the story progresses.

And for fans of The REAL Ghostbusters cartoon...look on the workbench in the basement of the firehouse. And also make sure you listen to all the messages on the answering machine on the top floor of the firehouse. A character from another popular 80's franchise calls about the vigo painting that the ghostbusters have. Any guess as to who it might be and what franchise it is?

And BTW...I'm hearing that Ghostbusters is the number one selling 360 game in the country right now. Yay.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Man I love this fucking game. Setting up tonight for Xbox live for the first time. I've got about 6 of those free month trial cards, so i'm going to give it a go. Anyone want to meet up for some multiplayer?

I was wondering if it was for multiplayer. lol

I just recieved it in the mail today so maybe it would be a good idea to get my feet wet first so you don't have to babysit me. But yeah, I'm down. Just send me the request.

Question: How many over the lines from the film have you found yourself quoting so far?

Aim for the flat top !!!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Question: How many over the lines from the film have you found yourself quoting so far?

Aim for the flat top !!!

Pretty much all of them. It's so easy to let them fly when this game feels so much like the movie.

I'm at work right now, but I'll have to get back to you tonight with my username and whatnot. Hopefully I can get Live hooked up without any trouble. I really know nothing about it...

United States
    yeah they take original xbox games i think. thats what i'm sayin i wonder for how much longer they will. and yeah, trade in your old POS console games! haha

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    yeah they take original xbox games i think. thats what i'm sayin i wonder for how much longer they will. and yeah, trade in your old POS console games! haha
    lol - I've still got my Mega Drive 2, and all the games I had for it (14 if memory serves) - all tucked away in my cupboard. I wouldn't think of selling them on.

Also, thinking of it - I saw in Total Film today that some company is putting out a plug & play version of a Mega Drive with 15 games inside it - and another (or same) company is putting out a hand-held version of the Mega Drive.

But here I am with the original hardware, awwwwwwww yeah.