Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Secure Beneath the Watchful Eyes

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching. Big brother is watching.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    but no-ones watching big brother.

cus it sucks

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Come to tell them where I am have you little fella?
    Mama don't like tattle tale's
    plow!
    get your nano - netting here
    http://www.gazette.net/stories/07210...38_31920.shtml
    Students only on the links tricky
    Last edited by Bongholio; 16-Jan-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Is there anything Hellsing won't make a dodgy pun about?

If only people would take the movie (and comics) V For Vendetta a bit more seriously - the government works for us, not the other way around.

I think people these days are not bothered enough about national issues, they're too busy beating a drum about something we have no control over (e.g. climate change, to make themselves feel better about owning a 4x4). People these days are just getting drunk or watching reality shows to forget about the real world and how Britain is getting screwed over. They swallow everything the gubment says as gospel truth, meanwhile it's nothing but lies and fudged statistics.

If only there was a completely independent body that couldn't be touched by the government, to keep an eye on them and provide the truth to the idiots out there who can't realise it for themselves.

United States
    Hey, as long as you Brits are happy with it, us Yanks can't say anything about it. Just strikes me as a bit strange to be content with all the CCTV cameras and such.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Is there anything Hellsing won't make a dodgy pun about?
    How else can one get their post count up to 3,000+ in ten months?
    Last edited by Arcades057; 16-Jan-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Kazakhstan
    Dude, it makes the world of difference. It really does, it's not just some average scheme, this is a movement which is being seriously persued by lawyers and Human Rights representatives. It's meeting with wide disapproval - this isn't just some ordinary old wank...
    that's just rhetoric, mz.
    i'm not trying to start a fight, but saying it's any worse than the examples i listed because "a bunch of people oppose it" simply wont do.
    how exactly is it so much worse? i mean, i admitted the biometric data thing was a bit dodgy, but if you THINK about it, they already have such data on us via BCG (and other) innoculation records...

we do have to posess all the paperwork/bull**** i mentioned already. an ID card, as i understand, would just be a condensation of all that to stop people leaping through the loopholes such a flurry of paperwork presents.

it's not that i can't see where youre coming from, i read 1984 and brave new world in school too! - but frankly it sounds like paranoid hysteria.
    what do you think will happen if we have to carry ID cards, that they will check everyone in the street "vere ah your paperz?!" style? i mean for god's sake, of course they wont. police forces are stretched enough dealing with crime and now increased terrorist threats, they wont bother you unless you appear to be up to something, and if you aren't, then nothing will happen! - much the same as things already are, and have always been.

show me something non-speculative that proves they would be a bad idea...

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    How else can one get their post count up to 3,000+ in ten months?
    The same way one gets 2600 in 4 months.

United States
    Hey I live in a rural town and you talk about camera's there are camera's cropping up all over the place at signal lights. It is to catch anyone who goes through red lights when the cops aren't around to catch them.
    It does make ya stop and think doesnt it? Big Brother watching? nah!
    It is just kind of weird! So, watch when you are going through that red light guys the camera is watching you!!!! lol

United States
    The same way one gets 2600 in 4 months
    Yow... I was at the old page for around 2 years before it closed down and moved here and I think I had a grand total of maybe 1k plus or minus a few. Most of those were from flames with Grim and Co., but it seems like people at this site just post something onto a topic like "Oh wow, makes my nose hurt from all the HPOTD!!" just to get their name in lights, ie on the opening screen.

But different strokes, I guess.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Kazakhstan
    well, there are a lot of boards here i suppose. it wouldnt be too hard notch up a few thousand if youre active on all of them (i only really post on media & general, occasionally dip into the dead boards, think i exhausted my capacity for constant dead talk a couple years back). i guess some people get an arcade leaderboard mentality about it all, but have to say i dont notice too many "me too" posts.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well if you want a fact, how about the fact that this crazy ID card mega-database scheme is not proven to be a good idea. One minute it's to stop terrorism, the next it's to stop fraud, the next it's something else - the so-called reason for their being is constantly changing.

The technology is complex and brand-spanking new, would you want this epic and nation-wide scheme to blast onto the scene and retain all your data when people aren't even sure it's a solid system - as well as the fact that this one mega computer with all this information will never been secure - no system is. If it was to get hacked - the potential chaos is unfathomable - and there is plenty of room for corruption and mistakes.

If the home office can't update its records on murderers, paedophiles and rapists, how on earth do you think this system - an epic system - could ever be maintained?

Another thing - the cost - the potential cost will exceed what Labour have said to the press. Costs are always bigger than you expect them to be (and that's not including politician figure-fudging).

The money can be better spent on streamlining our current system - how? By getting rid of the myriad of pencil pushers and red tape rollers that have been introduced since 1997 - people who are not needed. People whose sole purpose is to be bought by Labour to achieve votes in the long term.

The ID card system opens up a whole new opportunity for money-making potential - failure to update information (which you, the citizen, have to do) will result in a fine. We'll have to pay for the card, and tax payer's cash will go towards running the system that isn't actually needed - it's not proven in the slightest that it's needed. On one hand the government are taking away our privacy and right to not have everything known about us - why on earth do they need all this information from the get go? Why? There is no possibility that you need all this information from the off about everybody in the country - how often will it actually be needed? Hence - pointless system.

So on one hand they're taking away more of our privacy (CCTV is a good thing, as long as it isn't abused, but it's useless without bobbies on the beat to respond to the people controlling the cameras - a system therefore which is currently starting to break down with more and more officers - who have said themselves - are sat behind a desk filing reports and unable to be 'on the beat'). On the other they're lumping more pinickity responsiblities onto the average Brit - and when the kids leaving high school are becoming more and more incapable of spelling correctly (let alone knowing the history of our country) - how the hell are we going to cope? We have far too much to think about, and far too many things to worry about.

If we're not in compliance with a whole host of everyday things - now extending to our f*cking rubbish bins - then how can we cope with yet another fine-print-complying bit of half-witted, ill-considered legislation such as this?

These aren't 'crazy weird person talk' type thoughts, these are valid arguments against the ID card proposals and I'm very much against the scheme.

*sigh*

Okay, you're thoughts are stated, my thoughts are stated ... agree to disagree? Let's talk about other things, cos quite frankly Labour sicken me to the very core.

On the other part of the thread that's now going on, what's wrong with a lot of posts - as long as the majority is quality then what's wrong with that? I might have posted a sh*tload, but I type very fast and have plenty to talk about - but then other times I have less to talk about. Peaks & troughs.

Also - the shoutbox is in no way connected to your forum posts. So posting there has absolutely no impact on your post count.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Jan-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    well, there are a lot of boards here i suppose. it wouldnt be too hard notch up a few thousand if youre active on all of them (i only really post on media & general, occasionally dip into the dead boards, think i exhausted my capacity for constant dead talk a couple years back). i guess some people get an arcade leaderboard mentality about it all, but have to say i dont notice too many "me too" posts.
    The "Word Game Forum".....AKA the "spam forum for post count increase"

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    The "Word Game Forum".....AKA the "spam forum for post count increase"

And this makes you mad, why?

Does someone feel left out?

Kazakhstan
    Well if you want a fact, how about the fact that this crazy ID card mega-database scheme is not proven to be a good idea. One minute it's to stop terrorism, the next it's to stop fraud, the next it's something else - the so-called reason for their being is constantly changing.
    or maybe it's further reasons added to an existing list? depends on your bias...

The technology is complex and brand-spanking new, would you want this epic and nation-wide scheme to blast onto the scene and retain all your data when people aren't even sure it's a solid system - as well as the fact that this one mega computer with all this information will never been secure - no system is. If it was to get hacked - the potential chaos is unfathomable - and there is plenty of room for corruption and mistakes.
    it wont be one mega computer. please. and no , no system is secure, least of all the current one, does the phrase "rising ID theft" mean anything? is a myriad of documents easier to secure than just one or two? i know NHS employees who are allowed to access the national database from their crappy un-firewalled home pcs. should we preserve that status quo?

If the home office can't update its records on murderers, paedophiles and rapists, how on earth do you think this system - an epic system - could ever be maintained?
    that's partially the point, the system would, in time, become less grandiose and easier to maintain through a more unified system. you said yourself, one mega computer, as opposed to many, because that is what we have now.

Another thing - the cost - the potential cost will exceed what Labour have said to the press. Costs are always bigger than you expect them to be (and that's not including politician figure-fudging).
    yep, it will cost more, got me there. but it will hamper terrorism and fraud to a certain degree, which carry their own costs, sometimes more than monetary.

The money can be better spent on streamlining our current system - how? By getting rid of the myriad of pencil pushers and red tape rollers that have been introduced since 1997 - people who are not needed. People whose sole purpose is to be bought by Labour to achieve votes in the long term.
    gimme some of these positions.

The ID card system opens up a whole new opportunity for money-making potential - failure to update information (which you, the citizen, have to do) will result in a fine. We'll have to pay for the card, and tax payer's cash will go towards running the system that isn't actually needed - it's not proven in the slightest that it's needed.

those policies are not 100% solidified yet, but yes the 1k fine sounds bad, but will probably be softened up. the wilcock case wasnt that long ago, i think the man will try to soften & friendly-up the scheme somewhate before full implementation. and anyway most of the updating would be automatic. you have to do a similar degree of updating with regard to your tax returns, amongst other things. and i would say it is needed, the near-impenetrable burueacracy involved in sorting out citizenship here leaves loopholes. the borders are far too porous.

On one hand the government are taking away our privacy and right to not have everything known about us - why on earth do they need all this information from the get go? Why? There is no possibility that you need all this information from the off about everybody in the country - how often will it actually be needed? Hence - pointless system.
    urm, well they wont need anymore information than you currently divulge through other mediums (the passport/nhs/NI list i mentioned earlier). the only way they could infringe on your privacy would be if they were to start demanding information about your preferences/bathroom habits etc. which they wont!

So on one hand they're taking away more of our privacy (CCTV is a good thing, as long as it isn't abused, but it's useless without bobbies on the beat to respond to the people controlling the cameras - a system therefore which is currently starting to break down with more and more officers - who have said themselves - are sat behind a desk filing reports and unable to be 'on the beat').
    gawd you love your sweeping statements and rhetoric. it isnt "useless" per se, and guess what, every single time i've ever been out of an evening i've seen bobbies and patrol cars in locations around the UK such as north/east london, cardiff, newport, bristol, north somerset, lancashire blah blah blah. i agree there aren't enough, but that's quite different to there being none...

On the other they're lumping more pinickity responsiblities onto the average Brit - and when the kids leaving high school are becoming more and more incapable of spelling correctly (let alone knowing the history of our country) - how the hell are we going to cope? We have far too much to think about, and far too many things to worry about.
    street crime is a growing problem which we as citizens do have to deal with ourselves sometimes, and that isn't right, but surely it has more to do with rising population numbers and an economy increasingly based on light industry than a ****ty government solely? a growing middle class who all go off to study media/arts/sciences with massive loans and a comfy family life to fall back on if they sod it up. lol, tremendous pressure on us, i'm from a working class background and i've never gone hungry a day in my life, never had trouble studying or getting a job (admittedly you do have to TRY, and sometimes, maybe even try again, but still).

If we're not in compliance with a whole host of everyday things - now extending to our f*cking rubbish bins - then how can we cope with yet another fine-print-complying bit of half-witted, ill-considered legislation such as this?
    i think this is just hateful bashing now.
    don't get me wrong, i dont like or vote new labour, but let's retain a degree of sobriety.
    are you saying we shouldnt recycle? or are you saying they should come into your home and sort through your rubbish? wouldnt that be one of those invasions of privacy you dread? if you don't like having to sort your rubbish (and cmon, is it so much effort to put something in one bin instead of another? you **** in a toilet, not a waste paper basket, right?) - then just don't do it! nobody is forcing you!
    i hear whispers of a phantom fine for not sorting rubbish, but when i'm feeling lazy i dont do it. nothing happens. honest.

part of being free to live the way you want to is taking the responsibility to stand up to people you think are oppressing you, instead of bitching about it and complying nonetheless. fight tha trash man!

These aren't 'crazy weird person talk' type thoughts, these are valid arguments against the ID card proposals and I'm very much against the scheme.

*sigh*

Okay, you're thoughts are stated, my thoughts are stated ... agree to disagree? Let's talk about other things, cos quite frankly Labour sicken me to the very core.
    well, that's just the cowards way out to ask anyone with half-rational counter arguments to agree to disagree, besides, that kind of resolution is usually reserved for entirely subjective matters (issues of taste, etc), and while there are subjective elements to this debate, it essentially deals with cold hard facts.

as such i feel we are both largely rational, well educated people who both believe themselves to be in the right, and seeing as this is not an entirely subjective matter, one of us must ultimately be holding the more factual opinion, and as a thinker and a politically active adult, i'd like to make sure i'm not just barking up the wrong tree by either proving i'm right or being conclusively proved wrong.

there may be a flamey touch to my words, but i'm not telling you to shut up, as i really do respect your opinion and want to learn more, if this were not the case i'd just dismiss it and wouldnt have replied in the first place

easy brah
    Last edited by _liam_; 16-Jan-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    check everyone in the street "vere ah your paperz?!" style? i mean for god's sake, of course they wont

they can/will do it without you even knowing