Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your opinions on flowers

Italy

your opinions on flowers

Scripting a zombie flik, I try to stay 100% in the GAR universe (because it's the only one that would make sense to me).

So as fans (and future viewers/critics) would you find the idea of zombies being enthralled by the aurora borealis (as they were from the flowers from LotD) to be realistic or just totally laughable?

Opinions please.
    Also, **** the runners, just 'cuz

BTW, flowers as in fireworks, big bright lights in the sky...
    Last edited by 7734; 16-Jan-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Undisclosed
    Depends if it was a certain rareish type of flower or if it was just flowers in general. For example poppys, they arent rare but they arent everywhere either.

It could be a very good idea if done right, maybe the flowers need to be crushed and the scent could be used as a distraction or survivors smear themselves with the certain flower to hide their scent? Just my two pounds.
    Why arent you laughing?

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CornishCorpse View Post
    Depends if it was a certain rareish type of flower or if it was just flowers in general. For example poppys, they arent rare but they arent everywhere either.

It could be a very good idea if done right, maybe the flowers need to be crushed and the scent could be used as a distraction or survivors smear themselves with the certain flower to hide their scent? Just my two pounds.

The hell you talkin bout?

I suspect that he was talkin bout the sky flower's from LOTD. But that is besides the point ... the point being that the aurora borealis are not flowers

Lick the clink - http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/Engl..._borealis.html

United States
    i'd rather shoot the fireworks at the zombies than try & distract them with them

United States
    I would think that fireworks make a much more spectacular impression than the aurora borealis and that a GAR type zombie would not be distracted by them. The aurora borealis may be a more beautiful and breath-taking thing to behold than manmade fireworks, (I cant say for sure I've never seen the aurora borealis but I could only imagine), but that would be a more "appreciation of beauty" thing that zombies wuold not be able to have. Remember, fireworks make very loud noises as well, with well defined patterns in the sky.

Undisclosed
    xD alright fine I hands down missed the point of the thread..
    Why arent you laughing?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't think zombies would be distracted by the aurora borealis at all. The reason they were distracted by the fireworks because the sky would be dark and the night would be silent then all of a sudden there's a loud bang and some bright colors coming out of the black sky. Loud noise + flash = zombie distracted.

The aurora borealis does not suddenly appear out of nowhere and make a thunderous clap. It would not distract zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by creepntom View Post
    i'd rather shoot the fireworks at the zombies than try & distract them with them

Italy
    I've seen auroras that appear out of nowhere and light the sky better than fireworks; no noise though.

Actually, i've heard some rice krispy snap crackle pop before, and some friends have told me that on really super cold nights ( -30 and below) they have heard them crash like lightning; this is rare, though.
    Last edited by 7734; 17-Jan-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    But, keep in mind, in 30-below temperatures the zombies aren't going to be walking around, anyway. They'll be frozen stiff (rim-shot).

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Talking

The best option would to live by a sewage farm.The constant stink would surely put of the deadheads sense of smell.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cymruambyth View Post
    The best option would to live by a sewage farm.The constant stink would surely put of the deadheads sense of smell.
    Thats assuming there's sewage being pumped in. How much would there be in a zombie world with so few people? The old stuff would compost then not much smell anymore....

As to the sky flowers. notice by the end of the movie that the zombies ignored them in favor of all the yummy humans available.

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 7734 View Post

So as fans (and future viewers/critics) would you find the idea of zombies being enthralled by the aurora borealis (as they were from the flowers from LotD) to be realistic or just totally laughable?
    Here's my opinion, take it for what you will.

I think, by and large, a zombie's interest in aurora borealis (or Australis in the south) would be highly subjective. First, in many parts of the hemispheres, the AB (or AA) is either not viewable (for all intents and purposes), only viewable on occasion or--when seen--is of marginal intensity. Keeping this in mind, were the setting of the film somewhere for optimal viewing conditions and the film took place during the times of the year when ABs are at their height, I would say I'd see it as believable based on LotD.

However, since some people have never experienced a full strength viewing of the AB or AA, you may run-in to people who don't know their sh1t from their own assholes, saying "The Aurora Borealis don't shine that bright."

Basically, it's a judgement call on your part that would need to be handled and presented to the audience with care and you'd still be likely to get guff from someone (as always).

Fun topic, though.

PS--May be interesting to do a search on factors effecting a viewing and double check that groundsource light is or is not a major factor. If it is, then they'd be even more intense and viewable in more areas (perhaps) in a world where most of the lights have gone out.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 17-Sep-2007 at 07:24 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    the only flowers that have any place in the gar universe, from the way i see it, are the ones that johnny and barbra go to put on their father's grave.

the part about the "skyflowers" in land was pretty far-fetched, even in a universe where the dead return to life to devour the living.

i'd skip that part of your story.

United States
    Since you inquiry is in regards to a script idea: While the idea that the Aurora Borealis would distract a ghoul is an interesting one, it seems just an offshoot of Romero's "Skyflowers" routine and in that sense not entirely original.

(It would be like writing a script where the folks are stuck in a Walmart as opposed to a Shopping Mall. Yeah, it's slightly different than DOTD, but pretty much the same concept)

Perhaps I am missing the point in your use of this phenomenon in your zombie script though, so I could be totally off base.

To me it wouldn't seem strange that a ghoul would be distracted by the Aurora Borealis (that makes sense) but in the GAR vein, I don't know if it would work better than fireworks for the reasons already pointed out by previous posters.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    I don't think the Northern Lights would do anything but give you something to admire as the zombies eat you.

Fireworks aren't just light; they're noise, too. Explosions to get them to look that way, in the first place. Without the "bang", you've got nothing.

Plus, I only think that works if the zombies don't know you're around; they have to see them first. If they see you (in other words, if they see their next meal) first, I doubt anything will distract them from their desire to eat.