Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shenmue videos

capncnut

Shenmue videos

Being a major Shenmue fan, I thought I'd post these vids in here. If any of you guys have played both of these phenomenal games then you may get a kick out of 'em!

Shenmue intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOv7qWm-_I
    Opening sequence for Shenmue on the DreamCast. Best game intro ever?

Extraordinary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lla4dH9uyj4
    A music video of 'Muzzle' by The Smashing Pumpkins with Ryo's life as the theme. Combines clips from Shenmue and Shenmue II.

Shenmue tech demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2smkBf5kg
    An early version of Shenmue running on the Sega Saturn.

Shenmue on Wii http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5vfYFnUmPo
    What Shenmue would look like on Nintendo's new console.

Dear Sega http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQEya390qz0
    A clip made for the Videogaiden Shenmue III appeal.

Shenmue Online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xmsIi63Wdc
    Sick and tired of waiting for Shenmue III? This new MMORPG is the closest thing we got for a long time! Due in 2007.

I just wish they'd hurry up and get the damn thing finished then maybe I can die a happy man!
    Last edited by capncnut; 29-Nov-2006 at 12:21 PM.

United States
    Ah, Shenmue, one of gamings most underrated series. Shenmue II was perhaps the most immersive game I've ever played, and thats saying a lot. Shenmue III will probably never come out, but we can keep dreaming, eh?

capncnut
    Here's a question. Take an intricate Japanese story about a young boy who loses his father, mould it around a third person roamer/puzzler, add the Virtua Fighter engine for beat-'em-up battles, throw in a rapid onscreen button bashing game, mix it up with some forklift/motorcyle racing and insert a bunch of old Sega arcade classics for good measure. What category should this game be classed in?

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Shenmue III will probably never come out, but we can keep dreaming, eh?
    At least Yu Suzuki hasn't officially announced the death of Shenmue III yet. Until that comment arrives, I will always keep the faith. Even if it came out as a book I'd be happy!
    Last edited by capncnut; 30-Nov-2006 at 06:23 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yes he has, shemue 3 and the online one were slated for the xbox years back but got dumped cus shenmue 2 wasnt that popular, hasnt stopped dozens of fan petitions though.
    i still aint finished shenmue 2 i have ti for the xbox and dreamcast and got the "movie" with the xbox version which is basically the cut scenes from one all put together.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    shemue 3 and the online one were slated for the xbox years back but got dumped cus shenmue 2 wasnt that popular, hasnt stopped dozens of fan petitions though.
    Here's a little something I was able to rustle up from the Shenmue Dojo.

07/29/06 - Shenmue Online at China Games Show.

Shenmue Online has made a big splash at the China Games show. We have media from the trailer shown at the show. The game is now expected to be released sometime in 2007.

"As I'm the general director of Shenmue Online, I make a decision on everything. I'd like to create a game that satisfies myself, otherwise the players wouldn't be satisfied. I trust my team, and if we take sufficient time, our ideal work will be completed." - Yu Suzuki
    And here's the footage from the expo a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjypQp61lxo

Also I found the following information.

Shenmue online will take place where Shenmue 2 took place, specifically, Hong Kong and China. Yu says that without the characters of Shenmue, then it won't be Shenmue, so he promises all the main characters will appear in Shenmue Online as NPC's. They will take part in the story and act as central figures of the game to progress the players of the game.

Players will join 1 of 3 clans lead by Sha Hua, XiuYing, and WuYing, and go through the story by completing tasks given by the leaders. Or course, during the course of the story, each clan will interact with one another in both friendly and hostile situations. LanDi and Ryo will definitely make appearances in those situations as well.

Yu states that even though the Korean company JCE had announced their withdrawal from development, since Shenmue Online is a Sega venture, they will fulfill their duty of completing it. Yu says despite the internet rumors, development is well on its way and following their original goals and target. He adds that Sega Sammy will make an official announcement about it's progress in the future.

When asked about the various activities possible in Shenmue 2 and whether they will make it into Shenmue Online, Yu says that the arcade games will definitely make it in, and 2/3rds of the things like working, collecting capsule toys, etc, from Shenmue 2 will make it into Shenmue Online, along with much more contents exclusive to Shenmue Online. Yu adds that the game will take place not only in Hong Kong and China, but Macao as well, Yu smiled when he was asked what will the players be able to do in Macao. (Macao is Hong Kong's gambling and red light district.)

Yu says that QTE's will make it into Shenmue Online; but conceptually, it is impossible to implement the exact same kind of QTE into an online game. So in Shenmue Online, QTE's will be something geared towards an online MMO game, but since the implementation haven't been finalized yet, he can't go into specifics.

Yu states that Shenmue's world is very suitable for online play. Shenmue Online's world will be much bigger than the home versions thus far, including over 1200 buildings/locations, and it will be possible for each player to have his or her own house. Yu adds that he has always been very fond of Chinese culture, so he is very happy that Shenmue is liked by the Chinese gamers. This is why he is making this game for the Chinese market. But from a game perspective, Shenmue Online will include many things that all gamers will be able to enjoy.
    As for Shenmue III, it looks pretty grim on that front. I'm thinking they probably wont abandon it (after all it is regarded as a classic) but the game certainly looks like it's in limbo at the moment. I'll wrap this up with a fake trailer made from the Shenmue Online demo, at least we can pretend it's coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbIcNWrHWXA

Bummer.
    Last edited by capncnut; 01-Dec-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    mmm, sounds good but knowing sega it'll probably hae a "big-ass"(tm ) type fee to play so while im a big shenmue fan im still aint gonna hold my breath on this one.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    mmm, sounds good but knowing sega it'll probably hae a "big-ass"(tm ) type fee to play so while im a big shenmue fan im still aint gonna hold my breath on this one.
    Nor me, all I want is Shenmue III to be honest with you. I mean Sega just left it with Ryo and Shenhua stranded in a f**king cave, what is up with that?

If it was made, I wonder how the gameplay would be updated for 360?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i reckon it would be a little bit more like frarenheit myself.

though they were pretty damn similar to begin with.

capncnut
    Fahrenheit was a 4 hour Shenmue with elements of Track & Field, Dance Dance Revolution and Silence Of The Lambs.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    that should have been written on the back of the case

capncnut

70 Man Brawl

Check out this spectacular 70 man brawl footage from Shenmue. Seasoned veteran indeed.

United States
    Just thought I'd bump this thread letting you guys know that Shenmue II for Xbox is now backwards compatible with Xbox 360.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i still aint finished it and theres no way in hell im starting it up all over again.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Just thought I'd bump this thread letting you guys know that Shenmue II for Xbox is now backwards compatible with Xbox 360.
    Great news. Mmm, I think I'm gonna have to re-start Shenmue II again now. Talking of which, does anyone know how to obtain the gold medal on the Xbox version? Does it even exist? I got the bronze medal from the backstreet shop, I got the silver from beating Eileen and Izumi at the arcade, all I need is the gold one. Apparently some FAQ says I have to go back to the tree behind Man Mo Temple and attempt to catch a white feather as it falls down. Once I catch this feather, I have to take it to the Tomato Conveniece store and win a duck race.

Thing is, can't find the bloody feather.

capncnut
    "Why is this fanboy re-opening the thread?"

New in-game footage of Shenmue Online, that's why.

*rubs hands with glee*