Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Humans are causing global warming... 90% likely to be the case...

Administrator

England

Humans are causing global warming... 90% likely to be the case...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6321351.stm

What's interesting about this is I can guarentee "Joe Public" out there who don't think we are to blame, will not be swayed in the least by such articles...

Personally I'm not sure myself.... So I remain on the fence to a certain degree... But I suspect we are in some shape or form to blame, and that we (humanity) could be absolutely f***ed in 50-100yrs... Note my last footer message!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Dont forget in medieval times there used to be vineyards around york,which means it was a lot warmer then than it is now.I dont doubt that pollution damages the planet,but i dont think its responsible for the changes we are seeing at the moment,and i dont think the governments attempts to turn us all into greenpeace fanatics will make a squat of difference.Britain was tropical at one point,now its not,and it was covered in glaciers at one point as well which carved all the valleys,and again now its not,i personally think its all just natural climate changes.Meddling humans again,trying to tame nature for our own selfish needs

Undisclosed
    Neil: What's interesting about this is I can guarentee "Joe Public" out there who don't think we are to blame, will not be swayed in the least by such articles...
    Neil the term I think is Joe sixpack

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    ,i personally think its all just natural climate changes.
    Heheh
    Are you Joe Public?

What do you base this opinion on? A panel of Climatologists say that theres a 90% that humans are the direct cause of global warming and that even if we stopped emitting all green house gases this instant the global temperatures would still increase 4 degrees around the planet in the next hundred years....a 4 degree increase would be devastating.....
    But you just shrug it off?....based on what?

Not believing that humans are causing global warming is like not believing in evolution.....Its crazy people that refuse to listen to the overwhelming facts and studies and data....

(notice the huge leap after industrialization began)

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Kazakhstan
    i think there's equal evidence for either being the case.

remember antartica used to be covered in foliage, and once the river thames froze over and they had a fun fair on the ice...

personally i think it's a natural shift that has been sped up by human activity, and it is a problem that needs to be addressed lest permanent damage be done.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

England
    I really dont care that much to be honest,earth will still be here long after humans are extinct from it.What am i meant to do,stop driving my car?turn the local park into a vegetable patch?never use another electrical appliance again?build an effing great wind turbine on the roof of my house,costing me about 5 years wages?the big decisions are down to the men in charge,who are more interested in making money from whacking great "green taxes" while actually doing nothing about the environment.
    Ignorance is bliss

Super Moderator

UK
    Humans are probably causing some of the effects, no doubt, but to think that humans alone are causing the apocalypse (like many campaigners like to concentrate on, all doom and no solutions or ideas) is a bit of a stretch I feel ... it just feels to me a bit too "we're the be-all and end-all of everything" human arrogance.

It's been proven that a major problem is methane, which is far more damaging than carbon dioxide - it's the reason why New Zealand didn't meet it's quota on global warming a while back - all the farting sheep - honestly.

Also, what about all the natural things across the globe - forrest fires, volcanoes ... they're not belching out oxygen are they?

I say:

* Whack up a sh*tload of trees.
    * Don't be wasteful.
    * Bring on fuel cell technology.
    * Bring America, India and China (among other biggies) on board...especially China.
    * Increase recycling.
    * COME UP WITH F*CKING SOLUTIONS!!!

I'm fed up of all the "THE END OF THE WHOLE UNIVERSE!!!" type of apocalyptic whinging a lot of greenies harp on about - come up with a friggin' solution to this apparent problem rather than just sitting there counting down, it's pathetic.

And taxation is not a solution, that's a sticky plaster (which is magnetic to a lot of money) over a cancer. The real solution to dirty cars is clean fuel - simple - work on that aspect for cryin' out loud! People simply won't give up their cars, now move on and gimme that space age fuel cell stuff I saw on Top Gear a few years ago!

Also - if proper weather records only go back to around 18-something, that's not much of a yardstick really is it? That space of time is a mere blip in the history of the planet, and a mere bottom burp in the history of mankind.

And what if these climate changes are natural or were supposed to happen? Perhaps mankind's effect is that these changes are happening sooner rather than later? Yet again - ACTUAL solutions please, not money making scams and completely unworkable crap.

Liam - yep, you know who I'm talkin' 'bout.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    i think there's equal evidence for either being the case.

remember antartica used to be covered in foliage, and once the river thames froze over and they had a fun fair on the ice...

personally i think it's a natural shift that has been sped up by human activity, and it is a problem that needs to be addressed lest permanent damage be done.
    No theres not ....
    Show me this "evidence"

The overwhelming majority of experts believe that we are the cause...
    And remember this is a new finding....current data....current research

The entirety of Nasa believe that we are the cause and their reports were being censored because they were so damning relating the cause to humans....most independant researchers say the same thing

Scientists around the world say the same thing....

But then one boob or extreme small minority claims that we are not the cause citing data that is harldy even relevent and its highly publicized....and a bunch of people embrace it because its more convienant

That says noting about global temperatures... just because its warm in one place doesnt mean its warm all over.....an global 4 degree temperature increase is insane!....

Also - if proper weather records only go back to around 18-something, that's not much of a yardstick really is it? That space of time is a mere blip in the history of the planet, and a mere bottom burp in the history of mankind.
    some of The graphs I showed went back like 2000 years....theres other ways to determine global temperature from the distant distant past than records.....
    Last edited by Terran; 02-Feb-2007 at 11:55 AM.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

England
    Seriously though,who are these so called experts?im not doubting that they are intelligent,but ive read articles by other experts & professors in the papers who's opinions go directly against what you've said there,so who is right?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's been proven that a major problem is methane, which is far more damaging than carbon dioxide - it's the reason why New Zealand didn't meet it's
    Ehem....mass raising of livestock is still a human cause lol....

Administrator

England
    I really dont care that much to be honest,earth will still be here long after humans are extinct from it.What am i meant to do,stop driving my car?turn the local park into a vegetable patch?never use another electrical appliance again?build an effing great wind turbine on the roof of my house,costing me about 5 years wages?the big decisions are down to the men in charge,who are more interested in making money from whacking great "green taxes" while actually doing nothing about the environment.
    Ignorance is bliss
    What I'm concerned about is in my lifetime we'll begin to see serious global effects. Millions of people on the move... Disease and famine... And what concerns me even more is what my children will live to see...

The only thing I find odd is we keep getting warned of rising ocean level's, yet there's nothing to show oceans are rising!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Seriously though,who are these so called experts?im not doubting that they are intelligent,but ive read articles by other experts & professors in the papers who's opinions go directly against what you've said there,so who is right?
    ExxonMobil, which has come under increasing scrutiny for funding junk science views on global warming in recent years, has given no money to a global warming denier group it had previously funded.

But anyways like I said those who say it isnt happening are in a huge minority.....

In the journal Science in December 2004, Dr Naomi Oreskes published a study of the abstracts of the 928 refereed scientific articles in the ISI citation database identified with the keywords "global climate change" and published from 1993–2003. This study concluded that 75% of the 928 articles either explicitly or implicitly accepted the consensus view—the remainder of the articles covered methods or paleoclimate and did not take any stance on recent climate change.
    So the other 25% did not take any stance.....

This news that was just released is serious....its taking contemporary data...
    This isnt like more of the same humans are the cause stuff...its a new conclusion using better data....

There really isnt much to debate anymore....humans/human activity are the cause

Heres an article about the recent report

Global warming real, likely to get worse, scientists say
    POSTED: 7:22 a.m. EST, February 2, 2007
    Story Highlights• Global warming "likely man-made" and expected to "continue for centuries"
    • Greenhouse gases blamed for fewer cold days, hotter nights, floods
    • Temperatures predicted to rise 2 F to 11.5 F by 2100
    Adjust font size:
    PARIS, France (AP) -- Global warming caused by human activity is real and will continue for hundreds of years, a panel of some of the world's top climate scientists said Friday.

Officially releasing a 21-page report in Paris on the hows and the what of global warming -- though not telling the world what to do about it -- the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change gave a bleak observation of what is happening now and an even more dire prediction for the future.

"Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global mean sea level," the report said. (New report says global warming is real )

The head of the panel, Indian climatologist Rajendra Pachauri, called it a "very impressive document that goes several steps beyond previous research."

A senior U.S. government scientist, Susan Solomon, said as the report was released, "There can be no question that the increase in greenhouse gases are dominated by human activities."

The report said man-made emissions of greenhouse gases can be blamed for these problems: fewer cold days, hotter nights, killer heat waves, floods and heavy rains, devastating droughts, and an increase in hurricane and tropical storm strength (particularly in the Atlantic Ocean).

And if you think it is bad now, the harmful effects during the 21st century "would very likely be larger than those observed during the 20th century," the report said.

The panel predicted temperature rises of 1.1 to 6.4 C (2-11.5 F) by 2100. That was a wider range than in the 2001 report. However, the panel also said its best estimate was for temperature rises of 1.8 to 4 C (3.2-7.1 F).

On sea levels, the report projects rises of 7 to 23 inches (18 to 58 centimeters) by the end of the century. An additional 3.9 to 7.8 inches (10 to 20 centimeters) are possible if recent, surprising melting of polar ice sheets continues. (Watch how rising sea levels could affect San Francisco )

And the report said no matter how much civilization slows or reduces its greenhouse gas emissions, global warming and sea level rise will continue on for centuries.

"This is just not something you can stop. We're just going to have to live with it," co-author Kevin Trenberth, director of climate analysis for the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, said in an interview. "We're creating a different planet. If you were to come up back in 100 years time, we'll have a different climate."

A colleague from the center, Gerry Miehl, warned that continued global warming could eventually lead to an "ice-free Arctic."

Scientists do worry that world leaders will take that message in the wrong way and throw up their hands, Trenberth said. That would be wrong, he said. Instead, the scientists urged leaders to reduce emissions and also adapt to a warmer world with wilder weather.

"The point here is to highlight what will happen if we don't do something and what will happen if we do something," co-author Jonathan Overpeck at University of Arizona said. "I can tell if you will decide not to do something the impacts will be much larger than if we do something."

"You make a difference on hundred of years time frame, but this is the future of the planet," Trenberth told The Associated Press. "We have to adapt to it."

Trenberth said the world is paying more attention to scientists now than in previous warnings in 1990, 1995 and 2001. "The tension is more now," he said.

The head of the U.S. delegation, White House associate science adviser Sharon Hays, called the panel's summary "a significant report. It will be valuable to policy makers."
    Last edited by Terran; 02-Feb-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Can't we be like a George A. Romero movie and stop thinking about the cause and start working on a solution instead?

England
    Didnt the huge majority of "experts" in the early part of the cold war,with their vast knowledge & expertise about worldy matters,claim that the hydrogen bomb would set off a chain reaction that wouldnt stop,it would wipe all life from the entire planet & completey burn off the atmosphere leaving it a scorched rock?funny how that wasnt the case...
    Truth is we (humans) think we know everything there is to know about nature,but we really dont at all

Undisclosed
    Didnt the huge majority of "experts" in the early part of the cold war,with their vast knowledge & expertise about worldy matters,claim that the hydrogen bomb would set off a chain reaction that wouldnt stop,it would wipe all life from the entire planet & completey burn off the atmosphere leaving it a scorched rock?

No....

Or at least I cant find any information about that claim.....

I doubt if the majority of scientists thought that they would have ever detonated the bomb....

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah - so find a solution, which apparently is underway - a chemical which will stop the animals farting - that is the kind of thinking and action that will help mankind.

All this "the end is nigh" type preachy "I drive a Prius" smugness ain't doing a damn thing but put off finding a real solution ... as well as piss off the normal average joe, feckin' know-it-all celebrities.