Thread: so wahts the big idea?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

so wahts the big idea?

just to test out the theory for my essay im posting 3 asian film trailers, watch em then (if you havent seen them) post what you think the film is about, this will help me out, plus it'll be fun to see who gets em all right.

first up is the korean film "R-POINT"

next up is the Chinese film "HERO"

finally theres the japanese film "casshern"

Banned User

United States
    The second trailor is Jet lee "Hero". The story, set over two thousand years ago, involves a group of assassins who are trying to kill a king attempting to unite China with his armies.

The first trailor looks to me to be a ghost story. perhaps they woke up a sleeping evil and perhaps involves possession.

The third trailor looks like it must be a game turned into a movie type thing. A futureistic movie where the world is in a state of chaos. maybe caused by a biological weapon of somesort.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    hmmm...cant say if your right or id give it away, but interesting that you got that and none of them say a word of english and no subtitles

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I've seen Hero, I know what it's about.

First film:

Korean film set in Vietnam. A squad of Korean soldiers go on a rescue / search and destroy mission. But on the way they come across some kind of haunting spirit that possesses bodies and people. They hole up in an abandoned mansion and paranoia ensues as they try to figure out who is possessed and who isn't.

Third film:

Some kind of japanese Chronicles of Riddick with little story and all special effects. Two megacorporations fight it out with super ninjas and robot armies. I have a feeling the film is riddled with clichés and that the ending makes you roll your eyes. Yeah, I could tell all that from the trailer.

United States
    FYI the Hero trailer is in english.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    thats the thing, the announcer is speaking english for the u.s release but do any of the actors say one word?, no. it was realeased as a dubbed film in the u.s in most places, but the point of this is what you get being western movie goers from another cultural and lingual movie trailer, since most wouldnt understand its mostly all visual, casshern is the most visual though, yet it has a lot of dialogue in it, but that was the trialer everywere, the hero trailer is u.s only wha twith the whole "tarantino" bit at the start, hell look at the actual youtube page and it says "quentin tarantino's hero", when he had nothing to do with the film till way after its release, since its aimed at a western audience no dialogue is spoken but big names i.e tarantino and courching tiger are used along with the most high action scenes and special effects to sell you the film, but its like you need an announcer to tell you the story, wereas with casshern and r-point its up for you to decide what it might be like. however those two were world wide trailers, not just aimed at the west so they use dialogue.

see part of what this essay is about is how a lot of people, predominantly in the u.s prefer remakes of Asian cinema purely because they dont want to read subtitles, therefore if a asian film is being released over there they rely on action scenes to seel the film to you rather than the plot, but in other countrys were subtitles are preffered to dubs, like the u.k and france the trailers remain the same, basically its how you sell a movie across different cultures, i just chose asian cinema in particular cus im a big fan of it, 'specially compared to the crap thats coming out of hollywood nowadays.
    Last edited by Danny; 04-Feb-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Crap that comes out of Hollywood?

Korea and Japan are both hollywoodized in their moviemaking. They produce the exact same thing except that it comes from Japan or Korea. Ever see Brotherhood of War? Azumi?

Mainstream cinema is always the most common type of cinema. When you think Sweden you might think Ingmar Bergman, but that's just because he's the most famous. The most common type of films produced is always the mainstream popcorn flicks no matter WHERE you go. Japan, Korea and Hong Kong are no exceptions.

So to get a full scope of Asian cinema you would probably have to watch the main stream stuff as well as the stuff that gets imported (like Hero). Besides, all those trailers look like they suck. Except for Hero, which i didn't watch because I know the film rules.

Japan, Korea and Hong Kong do not produce different films from Hollywood. Not these days. They produce the exact same thing, but in their own language and set in their own country. The days of Korusawa are over.

Hong Kong is the only one out of those countries that has developed a truly independent film style. While still very mainstream and commercial, it is different from Hollywood.

But Bollywood takes the cake of course. It's even more commercial than Hollywood and it's so wickedly different that it's just pure unintentional comedy to a western viewer.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Crap that comes out of Hollywood?

Korea and Japan are both hollywoodized in their moviemaking. They produce the exact same thing except that it comes from Japan or Korea. Ever see Brotherhood of War? Azumi?

Mainstream cinema is always the most common type of cinema. When you think Sweden you might think Ingmar Bergman, but that's just because he's the most famous. The most common type of films produced is always the mainstream popcorn flicks no matter WHERE you go. Japan, Korea and Hong Kong are no exceptions.

So to get a full scope of Asian cinema you would probably have to watch the main stream stuff as well as the stuff that gets imported (like Hero). Besides, all those trailers look like they suck. Except for Hero, which i didn't watch because I know the film rules.

Japan, Korea and Hong Kong do not produce different films from Hollywood. Not these days. They produce the exact same thing, but in their own language and set in their own country. The days of Korusawa are over.

Hong Kong is the only one out of those countries that has developed a truly independent film style. While still very mainstream and commercial, it is different from Hollywood.

But Bollywood takes the cake of course. It's even more commercial than Hollywood and it's so wickedly different that it's just pure unintentional comedy to a western viewer.
    Korea and Japan have some good, unholywoodized movies, also, such as Oldboy (Korea) which has little action, but the few scenes in which it does are within average human ability, nothing spectacular, and Godzilla: Final Wars proves that you don't need spectacular CGI to make a good film, even after the crappy American movie was released.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Korea and Japan have some good, unholywoodized movies, also, such as Oldboy (Korea) which has little action, but the few scenes in which it does are within average human ability, nothing spectacular, and Godzilla: Final Wars proves that you don't need spectacular CGI to make a good film, even after the crappy American movie was released.
    Old Boy is a typical mainstream film. It could easily have been a Hollywood production. Infact, it soon will be. As for Godzilla: Final Wars, that's STILL a very mainstream and commercial film. Altough that's arguably one of the few traditional japanese cinema trends that still exists: Giant monsters rampaging around and crushing buildings. If you think that's better than your average hollywood crap then that's your opinion. But most people would probably agree that it's just average japanese crap.

I'm not saying there isn't anything typically korean or japanese (that's up for debate and not for me to say) but it's ridiculous to say that your average japanese/korean/hong kong film is way better than your average Hollywood film. The former are every bit as commercialized as Hollywood and have infact borrowed heavily from it. Especially Korean cinema.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 06-Feb-2007 at 12:48 PM.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Ever see Brotherhood of War?
    I have, it's a great film.

Just thought I'd say that.