Thread: Classical music suggestions needed...

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK

Classical music suggestions needed...

So, I've decided to return to the one project that I didn't think I would ever go back to.... Undead and Buried.

I some help though... Can anyone recommend some good classical pieces I could use for incidental music?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    moonlit sonata's allways a good falback one.

UK
    I was thinking maybe Requiem in D Minor?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    depends on the feel, im currently working on something and i was using classical but used HIM's please dont let it go at the end cus its fitting with the scene, sometimes proper classical feels a bit out of touch with a really "real" scene, you gotta balance it out.

United States
    Mahler (spell?) is like metal with strings. Dark, epic and huge. Almost never hear it in movies. A Genreral suggestion. Grab a disc, there will be something great on there. Its will remind you of Soundtrack score becasue they rip him off all the time. Much of it Sounds like Old Metallica such as Orion.

Tchaikovsky (Im spelling all the names wrong I think) Swan Lake #10 is the theme used in a lot of old Universal type horror flicks from the 30s. Frankenstein, White Zombie and more. Its my fav tune.
    Bela Bartok is another good one. And Beethoven too.

You can find bits in the suites and pieces that are appropriate, rather than starting them at the veginning all the time.

I suggest going to the library and take out 10 discs or so and scan through rhem. Libraries always have tons of classical.

I agree with Hellising about the "realness" but only for common peices that are really familiar. There aree a lot of great scary pieces that are unfamiliar to most people. Problem is when some are uncreative and use the same old themes over and over.
    So I would suggest not using stuff that has been used.
    Last edited by coma; 05-Feb-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ^ yeah ,one good example is that "damien" one thats at the start of jackass the movie, done.to.death.

UK
    O Fortuna? I have that one somewhere.... used it for a Mortal Kombat AMV

capncnut
    I've always found Beethovens symphonies quite powerful. I also like classic piano stuff (like Moonlight Sonata) as it can be very moving, especially Engulfed Cathedral.

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    I some help though... Can anyone recommend some good classical pieces I could use for incidental music?
    Not sure what you intend do do with your movie when it is finished, but i would only reccomend that you use whatever music you can afford to use.

Alternatively, i wrote a cello requiem a few months ago, you can hear it on my (Deadman_Deluxe) myspace page (CELLO_001) if you wanted to use that then i could rework/edit/add/subtract/shorten/lenghten it to suit your needs

United States

Bartok ...

I saw "The Shining" at the theater back in 81 or so as a kid . When I got home my mom was listening to the very piece (Bartok) that was used in the film , frreaked me out ... Charles Ives " The Unanswered Question " is a good one. But you have to find the instrumental suite ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic View Post
    I was thinking maybe Requiem in D Minor?
    ...Nigel :" Its in my favorite key ,'D minor' , makes them weep instantly ." ..." What do you call this one?"... " Oh , this ones' called "Lick my Love Pump."-Spinal Tap
    Last edited by DVW5150; 07-Feb-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    ...Nigel :" Its in my favorite key ,'D minor' , makes them weep instantly ." ..." What do you call this one?"... " Oh , this ones' called "Lick my Love Pump."-Spinal Tap
    D minor, the saddest of all keys

Shostakovitch is another one to look into
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I'm currently a music major in school, so maybe I can help.
    Do you have any specific instruments or tempos in mind?
    Music can DEFINITELY make or break any film.

UK
    For instruments, I was thinking maybe something like drums, strings and piano. For the tempo, something Haunting and Somber....

UK
    Don't use anything too cliche such as Requiem in D minor and O Fortuna. They might work well in the scenes that they have previously been used in but they have been used far too much and to me just seem like the director has thrown them in because they are popular.

As well as this, how are you going to go about recording it? You cannot obviously use the direct rip from the CD's etc. due to copyright. Do you know any local orchestra's around?
    Sound is more important than picture.

Get the money on the screen

UK
    Nope... but I do know someone who is gonna let me use his music on my film as long as the film is not-for-profit