Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Films you like but everyone else hates

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Films you like but everyone else hates

What films do you like that everybody else hates? The films that you just think are sorely misunderstood or underestimated in any way.

The great thing about film is that we all like different things. Otherwise, it'd be a very dull film industry we had. There's no such thing as good or bad taste, so forget about all that. People who rant about how poor your taste is are just stupid and have got it all wrong. Taste is just different.

Here's a few I really like:

The Matrix Reloaded / Revolutions

I liked them because they were very different from anything else we had seen. Plus I think the Wachowsky brothers did such excellent job in the action scenes that they just blew me away. These days I think it's hard to come across truly adrenaline pumping fight scenes because of the excessive editing used. But these films have top notch action. Besides I like their plot, atmosphere and overall storyline. A sci-fi epic. How often do we get that?

Alexander

It's a strange movie. And I can totally understand why so many don't like it. But I love it. Unlike Troy, King Arthur and 300 this film actually portrays history accurately. A few events have been lobbed around for pacings sake. But the detail and story arc is as close as one could make of Alexanders life and death in a 3 hour film. I was especially pleased to see the greek army using long pikes. Oliver Stone really did his homework, and plus I think it's a really deep story with many layers in it.

The Last Action Hero

I had a blast during this Arnold flick where he parodies himself and the action genre as a whole. The jokes were funny, the action was fast-paced and it has Arnold. I don't see what all the fuzz is about. I can't see any faults with it.

The 13th Warrior

Vikings are cool and so are adventures. Sure the Vikings wield huge swords that would be so impractical in reality and Antonio Banderas plays an arab. But I like the music, the action and the story. As an adventure film, I think it's one of the best since Conan.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As you said.....everyone is different and everyone has different tastes, but these are a few that I enjoy and the majority of people that i'm normally around dislike.

"The burbs"
    "Dragnet"(the Dan Aykroyd/Tom Hanks movie remake)
    "Nothing But Trouble"
    Most of the "Ernest....." movies
    "Spaced Invaders"
    "The Frighteners"
    "Requiem for a Dream"
    "Dark City"
    "Being John Malkovich"
    "Judge Dread"
    "Airheads"

And I guess that's about all I can think of. Most of them I pretty much sum up as guilty pleasures.

Undisclosed
    The War of the Worlds 2005. Most people insult it's ending, some with good reason and some with crap reason. Those with a good reson insult the fact that it ended with everyone reuniting, and those with a crap reason insult the fact that the aliens were defeated by bacteria and such. They are too stupid to accept anythin other than a big action scene to finally defeat aliens in a scifi movie, the fucktards.

Kazakhstan
    i loved war of the worlds 05 and reqiuem for a dream.

day of the dead!!!
    just about any arnold movie.
    plan 9 from outer space

i like a lot of b movies and old horror movies that are cack.
    the ghoul (1975) is a good one.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    haggard
    dragnet (dan akaroyd is a legend. )
    dark city
    the frieghtners
    the lord of the rings (im the only person in my film class that likes it)
    dead birds
    ...im kinda liking dawn 04' now moreadays, 'specially conmpared to land.
    the 5th element.
    the grudge.
    transformers the movie (the 80's one, screw those gay-ass thundercats! )

Kazakhstan
    yeah the 5th element rules!
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Undisclosed
    The last action hero? Come on, that is a damn good movie. I fail to see how people couldnt enjoy that! Haggard I enjoyed because it was just so freaking..random. The watermelon scene? Oiy!

My list
    Dusk till Dawn
    Nightwatch ( freak out value )
    Mr Ben
    Ginger Snaps two
    Evil dead 3: Army of Darkness
    Braindead
    Ichi the Killer
    Kung fu hustle
    Day of the Triffids
    Sumarai Commando
    Why arent you laughing?

Canada
    most of my movies my friends hate (except for my girl friend thank god).
    these or the ones they ripped on the most
    chud
    day of the dead
    evil deads
    return of the killer tomatoes
    maniac cop
    all classics in my books(well not all i guess)
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

United Kingdom
    Day of the Dead was my favourite of the Dead films and since quite a few are putting this I'll put it too.
    I love Rambo First Blood - Part II and Rambo III, even though the first Rambo film had the most believable idea I prefer the ones where he is just slugging it out in Vietnam and Afghanistan.
    I don't really know which and how many of the films I have people don't like, so I haven't got much else to say.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Day of the Dead was my favourite of the Dead films and since quite a few are putting this I'll put it too.
    I love Rambo First Blood - Part II and Rambo III, even though the first Rambo film had the most believable idea I prefer the ones where he is just slugging it out in Vietnam and Afghanistan.
    I don't really know which and how many of the films I have people don't like, so I haven't got much else to say.
    I can tell ya, man....from myself and the people I know, "First Blood" is by far the best. I have yet to meet anyone who has said that the two sequels are better than the original( I still don't understand why they changed the name of the sequels from "First Blood" to "Rambo" ).

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Most of these movies being listed are liked by the majority of people... just that, for some reason, everyone seems to think that nobody likes them.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Most of these movies being listed are liked by the majority of people... just that, for some reason, everyone seems to think that nobody likes them.
    Who doesnt like Army of Darkness?!?!?!
    Half the movies CornishCorpse (and others, but him particularly, no offense) listed are really popular.

A real answer is I like Jersey Girl. Everybody hates that movie, but I liked it, alot. Sap and all.

If I said I loved Battlefield Earth, thats what I thought this thread was supposed to be (That movie is universally reviled, and I didnt like it either)

Or Judge Dredd, which I really liked even though I knew it was ass.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    day of the dead
    hannibal, people are always bitchin about it..
    and i know theres more but im kinda brain dead right now

Undisclosed
    C.h.u.d. 2

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Battlefield Earth I could actually enjoy as a good popcorn flick when it first came out. But I rewatched it once, and it's expressionist camera angles made me nausious.

I also like Waterworld. That is a fine piece of adventure.