Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: films you hate but everyone else likes

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are really overrated.

Johnny Depp isn't really that good of an actor. His role as Jack Sparrow was funny the first time around, but all the quirky movements and facial expressions just put him into Jack Black territory the second time around (as in: Ok, I've had enough of you, go away).

Besides all of his roles are almost identical. Strange and quirky. Very rarely does he actually ACT.

Tim Burton is good. But not as good as people say.

capncnut
    Yeah maybe, but Depp was fantastic as Hunter S. Thompson in Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My list

Napolean Dynamite
    LAND of the DEAD
    Batman Forever
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I think Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are really overrated.

Johnny Depp isn't really that good of an actor. His role as Jack Sparrow was funny the first time around, but all the quirky movements and facial expressions just put him into Jack Black territory the second time around (as in: Ok, I've had enough of you, go away).

Besides all of his roles are almost identical. Strange and quirky. Very rarely does he actually ACT.

Tim Burton is good. But not as good as people say.
    beg to differ. it's hard to believe raoul duke, ed wood and edward scissorhands were played by the same guy. totally different characters with really individual traits.

indeed those are all strange and quirky roles, but i think they are sufficiently different from each other to warrant some skill in successfully pulling it off.

although it has to be said he has a stock sulky mumbling dude performance he falls back on sometimes, see; the ninth gate, secret window, blow etc

i love beetlejuice, batman, edward scissorhands and ed wood, but i get the feeling tim burton has a decent production design team more than anything else. also danny elfman (or howard shore emulating danny elfman in the case of ed wood)
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed, Depp is a talented actor, and when in his particularly most noted roles you honestly believe that he's the character.

When watching Ed Wood you're looking at the character on screen and you're thinking "Ed Wood", likewise with POTC, you're thinking "Jack Sparrow", not "Johnny Depp".

To say he's a dull actor because he plays "quirky" characters is just daft, not to mention in the same league of flimsy arguments like "it sucks".

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    coming to you from bizzaro hpotd, its the reverse of evil neds thread.

heres a few i hate but others like.

napolean dynamite
    equilibrium
    titanic
    the rocky horror picture show
    akira (not bad just way over hyped and kind of a let down when you finally see it)
    silent hill.
    cabin fever.
    People actually LIKED Cabin Fever?

I thought that was quite possibly one of the worst movies ever made. I was recovering from surgery and kind of loopy from perkeset and that still sucked.

I personally despise the Grudge (remake). All my friends were like, "oh it's so scary" "oh, it's so good" I could not ****ing stand it. It was just awful, the story just dragged so much...

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Agreed, Depp is a talented actor, and when in his particularly most noted roles you honestly believe that he's the character.

When watching Ed Wood you're looking at the character on screen and you're thinking "Ed Wood", likewise with POTC, you're thinking "Jack Sparrow", not "Johnny Depp".

To say he's a dull actor because he plays "quirky" characters is just daft, not to mention in the same league of flimsy arguments like "it sucks".
    Bull****, man. Ed Wood is one of his worst roles ever. He doesn't play it well at all. Same with Pirates. It's so over the top that it's fun for small amounts of time, but a whole film is just a crash and burn basis.

Johnny Depp is todays most overused actor, and the fact that he never really changes his acting style just makes him so less endureable. He has pulled off some good parts. But alot of his roles is just "Depp doing his thing" and not actually acting. Willy Wonka, for instance.

capncnut
    I thought Depp was okay as Wood. Landau was absolutely stunning as Lugosi.

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Bull****, man. Ed Wood is one of his worst roles ever. He doesn't play it well at all. Same with Pirates. It's so over the top that it's fun for small amounts of time, but a whole film is just a crash and burn basis.

Johnny Depp is todays most overused actor, and the fact that he never really changes his acting style just makes him so less endureable. He has pulled off some good parts. But alot of his roles is just "Depp doing his thing" and not actually acting. Willy Wonka, for instance.
    some good points, but i wouldnt say ed wood was an OTT performance in the way pirates was. i dunno, raoul duke was an OTT performance, but it was good. i think the thing is he gets cast in rather lurid, unusual roles and so he devises a performance to match it.

be interested to know who you think is a good actor, though...
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree with Nick... Johnny Depp was farkin great as Ed Wood. Possibly my favorite role he's every done. I don't see how he was "over the top" with his performance. The movie was supposed to be funny/wacky and make Ed Wood look loopy... which Depp did a good job achieving.

Undisclosed
    Dazed and Confused.....

I absolutely loathe that movie!!

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Dazed and Confused.....

I absolutely loathe that movie!!
    BLASPHEMY!

Rory Cochrane kicks ass in that flick.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    I thought Depp was okay as Wood. Landau was absolutely stunning as Lugosi.
    Exactly. Depp didn't hold a candle to Landau.

To perfectly sum up Depps bad acting in Ed Wood, just watch the scene where they view the stock footage in the beginning. Definetly not GOOD acting.

Lord Howe Island

Hmm..here is mine...

I hate and will not watch he LOTR live action-- I did like the cartoons though..

Pretty FN Woman--- Dave Chapelle's version from his show was more believable.

Titanic-- I already knew how it would end..where was the suspense?!?!?

Most John Woo films--- over acting, and poorly cast-- at least his American movies...

Any Nick Cage movie-- except Raising Arizona-- He would never NEVER become anything if he wasn't a Coppolla..

Any feel good flicks-- Rudy, Remember the Titans, Rainman, etc--- Don't try so hard to root for the underdag, and I may like the flick...

War to the knife...the knife to the hilt.
    The end is f*cking nigh!!!

Kazakhstan
    pretty woman pissed me off. the queasy moral ambiguity with which they treat the issue of prostitution. hey hookers have nice flats and sit around doing their hair and talking about boys when they arent out getting their insides abused for a pittance. f***in lalaland stuff.

and it was a mushy piece of crap too.

THE LEISURE HIVE