Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars NEW VERSIONS...

Administrator

England

Star Wars NEW VERSIONS...

SUCK!

I've said it before, and I'm saying again, the majority of the changed Lucas made are just pants...

For example, even just stupid stuff where Luke and Ben go into Los Isley and we now have stupid CGI creatures doing stupid things for no reason at all!!

...and the end of Return of the Jedi is just plain aweful!!

The only things I think add to the films are where he's basically take like for like space ship scenes and re-rendered them.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

United States
    I did like him redoing the weird looking Emperor hologram from Empire to Ian. Made more sence no matter which trilogy we're talking about here. That first hologram was just plain weird.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Special Editions never really bothered me that much, but they weren't necessarily needed. My two biggest gripes are the ending of "Jedi"(as Neil mentioned) and the ending to "Empire".

The ending to "Empire" wasn't anything large, but I prefered the original fade to credits with Luke and Leia looking out the window. In the new version, it fades out on their ship flying away and it just didn't have the power that the original had. The original was about the character of Luke and leaving the film with him was much better than the ships being that there really was no climax to "Empire".

capncnut
    As much as I appreciate the effort that has gone into the special editions, I will always be a purist. The original versions are better and now you can buy them again, all remastered as well.

In the special edition of Jedi, Sy Snootles sings a new song in Jabba's palace. Truly awful. Very reminiscent of Little Shop Of Horrors, all muppets singing and that.
    Last edited by capncnut; 10-Feb-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    - Greedo shooting first sucks. Why is it even there?

- Lukes pussy scream in "Empire". It was much more powerful when he didn't scream.

- The song number in Jabbas palace blows balls.

- The original Ewok victory song was much cooler.

- As for Hayden... Meh, I don't mind. Nice that they tied them together, I guess, even though the prequels totally suck ass.

Some of the changes are nice. Like the extended snow beast sequence in "Empire". But why oh why didn't Lucas fix the special effects that needed to be fixed? Primarily in the first film. Obi-Wans lightsaber looks like ****e. Fix that, if you're gonna fix something!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    The original versions are better and now you can buy them again, all remastered as well.
    I thought that was the problem... Infact you can't... All you can buy is some half-hearted version of the originals as Lucas went mad and destroyed all the original prints? So we have some half baked version of the originals in not very good quality?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i used to love star wars but all these cahnges and rereleases mad eme sick, plus the non-stop 30 odd years of mechandising, i friggin' hate that franchise now, lucas can kiss my ass.

Kazakhstan
    aye most of the changes are awful, i think the empire strikes back was probably the least butchered out of the lot (but again, pointless shots of vader leaving his shuttle etc).

some of the more subtle stuff is ok (sandtroopers riding dewbacks, general sound/image polish) but the rest?; awful, unnecessary, and already looks dated(they replaced the 1997 ANH jabba with a new one for the dvd? quelle suprise).

the greedo shooting first thing, easy target i guess (no pun intended), but it just looks so ropey and crap.

i HATED the new sarlacc. the whole point was it was meant to be a big mouth in the ground. really creepy and fairytale-ish. now it's this stupid beak thing, which renders the mouth-pit thing redundant.

revenge of the sith was an enjoyable movie but, same for me really, it's all about the original unedited versions theyre the ones that made the name etc
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    anyone give a **** 'bout indiana 4?, apparentyl lucas says its "the most eagerly awaited film of the last ten years and a new level in legendary film making"......

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    aye most of the changes are awful, i think the empire strikes back was probably the least butchered out of the lot (but again, pointless shots of vader leaving his shuttle etc).

some of the more subtle stuff is ok (sandtroopers riding dewbacks, general sound/image polish) but the rest?; awful, unnecessary, and already looks dated(they replaced the 1997 ANH jabba with a new one for the dvd? quelle suprise).

the greedo shooting first thing, easy target i guess (no pun intended), but it just looks so ropey and crap.

i HATED the new sarlacc. the whole point was it was meant to be a big mouth in the ground. really creepy and fairytale-ish. now it's this stupid beak thing, which renders the mouth-pit thing redundant.

revenge of the sith was an enjoyable movie but, same for me really, it's all about the original unedited versions theyre the ones that made the name etc
    Agreed. Lucas is a dink
    If you want the real Star Wars you have to get Laserdisc bootlegs. Not Cool

btw They mad the death star explosion look like crap
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah, now see that i dont get, they blew up a real scaled down model of the death star with explosives, so why replace an actual explosion with a digital one?!?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    anyone give a **** 'bout indiana 4?
    No I do not. Raiders of the Lost Ark is the only movie in that series I have any respect for.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I thought that was the problem... Infact you can't... All you can buy is some half-hearted version of the originals as Lucas went mad and destroyed all the original prints? So we have some half baked version of the originals in not very good quality?
    Well, I'm glad I didn't go shelling out £40 for those then.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Actually, they are the from the same source that they used for the CAV laserdisc set. They are 4:3 letterbox with 2.0 audio. They look better than the laserdisc simply due to the format upgrade, but they are not remastered. Nothing to complain about really, except anamorphic would have been nice. Actually, these are better than the CAV lasers because in that set, one one of the disc flip spots, we miss a few seconds of Lea welding in Empire. The welding has been restored on the DVDs, yea!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Actually, they are the from the same source that they used for the CAV laserdisc set. They are 4:3 letterbox with 2.0 audio. They look better than the laserdisc simply due to the format upgrade, but they are not remastered. Nothing to complain about really, except anamorphic would have been nice. Actually, these are better than the CAV lasers because in that set, one one of the disc flip spots, we miss a few seconds of Lea welding in Empire. The welding has been restored on the DVDs, yea!
    So the original versions are included on the new box set, but are basically the old laserdisc set?
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

United States
    The boxset was released in 2004, and that was the 2nd special editions.

In 2006, Lucas released the same movies as 2004, as individual films (not a box set) and on a 2nd disc in each release, contains the old master from the CAV laserdisc boxset, but look better due to format, and include Lea welding.