Thread: Space Potatoes

Banned User

United States

Space Potatoes

I felt the need to post a silly yet interesting article.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- Having boldly gone where no spud has before, Chinese space potatoes are now the latest culinary fad to hit the country's ultra-trendy commercial hub of Shanghai.
    Slightly sweet and purple in color, the potatoes, named Purple Orchid Three, are bred from seeds that mutated while being carried aboard a Chinese spacecraft, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported Monday.
    Grower Haikou Purple Orchid Co. Ltd. is promoting them as a unique food option, and restaurants in the city are offering them for Valentine's Day dinners, served crispy fried, or in salads, desserts and even iced drinks, the newspaper said.
    China's space program claims to have produced numerous mutated fruits and vegetables by exposing seeds to space radiation, capsule pressure and weightlessness.
    Chinese agricultural experts say plants grown from such seeds can be hardier, more nutritious and produce higher yields, although many scientists say similar effects could be achieved in ordinary laboratories.
    The space program, which has successfully completed two manned missions, is a source of massive national pride for China, and companies marketing everything from milk to magazines have bought the rights to be endorsed by it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    and then they all get potato-themed superpowers

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    and then they all get potato-themed superpowers

hmmmmm......... super spud?
    I do not think I would want to eat food exposed to space radiation? I can not see how that could be healthy or desirable?

capncnut
    They are grown in space, you don't get more desirable than that.

United States
    Interesting and space vegatables are pretty cool, though I dont think I would want to eat any. It comes from China and they will eat a monkeys ass or any other truly disgusting thing
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Interesting and space vegetables are pretty cool, though I dont think I would want to eat any. It comes from China and they will eat a monkeys ass or any other truly disgusting thing

LOL good point. If they can eat puppies, rats and kittens why not food exposed to radiation? I bet it will be cheaper just to plant potatoes at a nuclear reactor?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    LOL good point. If they can eat puppies, rats and kittens why not food exposed to radiation? I bet it will be cheaper just to plant potatoes at a nuclear reactor?
    To be fair, we also eat irradiated vegetables, but I dont want to eat some Venus space probe radiation
    SARS came form them eating an animal that is a raccoon dog. You see some truly horrid stuff shopping in China town. Africans are neck and neck for gross eats.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    To be fair, we also eat irradiated vegetables, but I dont want to eat some Venus space probe radiation
    SARS came form them eating an animal that is a raccoon dog. You see some truly horrid stuff shopping in China town. Africans are neck and neck for gross eats.
    Africans eat grubs? Right? I think eating any insects is horrid!! I saw a tv special about in Hong Kong(I believe) there is a restaurant that serves rat meat exclusively. eeek