Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ratm... Who Else Is Psyched

capncnut
    Let's see them devil horns in the air man.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Oh man, I was quite pleased when I heard RATM was getting back together for a one-off, 'cause we all know damn well that this is the beginning of the reformation of the band. Especially considering the news about audioslave. One thing I will say though: don't get your hopes up for a Soundgarden reunion. It'll never happen according to Chris Cornell, and to be honest, I believe it (for once. Usually I don't believe rock stars when they say stuff like that.. "it'll never happen" - yeah, right)

I think RATM's first CD is simply a classic. Zacks' venemous lyrics and angry-as-all-f*ck delivery overtop of the tightest "in the pocket" rhythm section on the planet.

That being said, I didn't care too much for the albums that followed. I dunno, the first CD really kicked my ass, but the follow ups just seemed to be lacking that initial releases raw energy. I like a few songs off of each album, but the first one, I like every song on it.

...and am I the only one that noticed that Zack's favorite vocal improv's on the first cd were "uh!" and "c'mon!"

By the way, I cannot STAND "rap-rock", but there was something special about RATM.. I'm not sure what it was, but they were the ONLY 'rap-rock' band I could stand to listen to. I think it was the fact that I had never ever heard a singer so goddamn angry as De La Rocha, and i like angry music.

LC
    I dont know if rap/rock is a fair label for them. The rhythm section was way too funky and the Gtr was really avant gard. It was an original natural feeling hybrid that transcends that label
    The lyrical content was really original and I find it funny that a large percentage of fans dismiss or dont notice, what is pretty much, a marxist message

I think the otherr records werent as good because it vecame repititious. Zach never varied his delivery and Morello kept doing the -hard riff then funny noise- formula. Many of the rythms were indentical.
    Still, I think as well that new material could be a much needed sledgehammer. I really want to hear them s**t all over the g-v.ment.
    When I first heard them, I heard 10 seconds and knew they were great. How often does that happen. People were really politically/socially apathetic at the time and its what I wanted to hear (never been a sheep). Never pedantic, just dope as hell.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    i wouldnt say rage was really rap (on the first one anyway), he does rap sometimes but a lot of the time he just sings or shouts. know your enemy, killing in the name of, settle for nothing etc dont have any rapping.

so i wouldnt class it as rap metal, and if it is, it's totally different to every other rap metal tune ever recorded, above & beyond imo.

<pimp>
    whats that? my band wrote a new song called "chainstore massacre"? why, yes we did
    http://www.myspace.com/hedonicuk </pimp>
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

capncnut
    Sorry an unexpected error has occurred.

Kazakhstan
    innit. i hate myspace. the long winded one usually works.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=134473457
    what's the general consensus on audioslave? my vote; shi*te.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States
    Ok, maybe 'rap/rock' is the label that the record companies gave them (and what I refer to them as), but they were a hybrid of certain types of rock, R&B & rap. so they're rock/rap/R&B/soul/funk. It's all good. Regardless, they were the only band of that type (and there were MANY clones after them) that I cared for.

liam: you don't consider Bombtrack, Take the Power Back, Wake Up, Township Rebellion, Bullet in the Head, etc. rapping? We must differ on what we consider rap! Of couse, this is coming from a old-school metalhead, so I don't claim to know that much about rap to begin with. Zack's delivery is damn close to, if not, rap. To me, if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck...

Oh, and about audioslave? Bah, i'd rather have Soundgarden or RATM than Audioslave. I didn't care for 'em at all, although I still consider Chris Cornell one of the best singers to come out of the 90's aside Layne Staley and a select few others.

LC

Kazakhstan
    oh yeah they do-do rap, but not every track has rap, and they are totally different to HED (pe), limp bizkit, linkin park etc so i'd have trouble lumping them in with the rest of the "rap metal" category, maybe they are rap metal, but they aint "rap-metal" as such...

and hey, i'm old school metal too maaan, i've seen all of the big four live bwoy(and black sabbath), and i missed a diamond head concert because we let the drummer drive

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Ok, maybe 'rap/rock' is the label that the record companies gave them (and what I refer to them as), but they were a hybrid of certain types of rock, R&B & rap. so they're rock/rap/R&B/soul/funk. It's all good. Regardless, they were the only band of that type (and there were MANY clones after them) that I cared for.

liam: you don't consider Bombtrack, Take the Power Back, Wake Up, Township Rebellion, Bullet in the Head, etc. rapping? We must differ on what we consider rap! Of couse, this is coming from a old-school metalhead, so I don't claim to know that much about rap to begin with. Zack's delivery is damn close to, if not, rap. To me, if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck...

Oh, and about audioslave? Bah, i'd rather have Soundgarden or RATM than Audioslave. I didn't care for 'em at all, although I still consider Chris Cornell one of the best singers to come out of the 90's aside Layne Staley and a select few others.

LC
    There are many style sof Rhyning and Zachs is just one of them. He yells, he rhymes. He doesnt sing. DMC (of Run DMC) has as much power as any metal singer (I hate walk this way, so dont bring it up, please). Even when he yells, it call and response and slogans, which is another element of hiphop.

I dont know why people comlain about thr Rap and MEtal hybrid so much. I think its a natural fit and a logical progression
    People alwats slam hiphop, but if your not into it you will only hear radio crap. Like people think Creed is a good representation of metal. Obviously its not, but if I thought it was metal, and thats all I knew, I would think Metal really sucks.

Whose the big Four?
    I can guess
    Maiden
    Sabbath
    Priest
    I am not sure of a fourth. Fill me in, please, on what you think liam

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    nope the big four commonly refers to the four supposedly most influential thrash metal bands of the 80s;
    slayer
    metallica
    megadeth
    anthrax

those bands you mentioned kick arse though

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    nope the big four commonly refers to the four supposedly most influential thrash metal bands of the 80s;
    slayer
    metallica
    megadeth
    anthrax

those bands you mentioned kick arse though
    When I think old school metal, I think Pre MEtallica.
    I have seen all of those bands, not megadeth unfortunatley. And I probaly wont because I hate going to shows now.
    Belladonna era Anthrax were really incerdible. He's the only poodlehead singer I like.
    Rick Rubins producing the NEw Metallica. He tells people they suck when they suck, so maybe they will stop embarassing everyone. No band has ever fallen farther into ass.

Ever see SOD(stormtorrpers of death). They tear it up big time. I love that band

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    When I think old school metal, I think Pre MEtallica.
    I have seen all of those bands, not megadeth unfortunatley. And I probaly wont because I hate going to shows now.
    Belladonna era Anthrax were really incerdible. He's the only poodlehead singer I like.
    Rick Rubins producing the NEw Metallica. He tells people they suck when they suck, so maybe they will stop embarassing everyone. No band has ever fallen farther into ass.

Ever see SOD(stormtorrpers of death). They tear it up big time. I love that band
    tbh, sabbath, motorhead, diamond head, venom & maiden aside, metal wasn't up to much for me pre-thrash. and most of those bands were the thrashier ones anyways.

why dya hate going to shows nowadays?

metallica are indeed shameful these days, but i reckon the last 300 post-ozzy black sabbath albums were worse...

megadeth are tight as hell these days, i recommend going to see them, ive seen them a couple times in the past 2 years, bloody excellent, they finally have the edge on metallica.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    tbh, sabbath, motorhead, diamond head, venom & maiden aside, metal wasn't up to much for me pre-thrash. and most of those bands were the thrashier ones anyways.

why dya hate going to shows nowadays?

metallica are indeed shameful these days, but i reckon the last 300 post-ozzy black sabbath albums were worse...

megadeth are tight as hell these days, i recommend going to see them, ive seen them a couple times in the past 2 years, bloody excellent, they finally have the edge on metallica.
    Why dont I like going to shows?
    first off, Im legally blind and I hate people bother ing me. SOme incidents from Last few shows
    Slayer. Some junior skinhead ran into me. It surprised me and I said "ack" he wanted to brawl becasue I lost my balance and uttered a neutral, uh, utterence. Typical.
    Anthrax. Just rude security. Im too old for taht crap.
    Iggy Pop. I bumped into some mustache cop looka like who was like 6'5. He knocked me on my ass and they almost threw ME out. Even after I told the asshat security I couldnt see he continued to be a dick and threaten me with being 86d.
    Generall high prices.
    Those incidents may seem like a big deal, but I dont want to be touched, threatened, or manhandled. I pay too much $$ for that crap. They happened in a very short time period and I just got fed up. Plus I dont want to pay 60 bucks to sit through Slipknot and other garbage bands to see 30 minutes of the one I like.
    If I get a good seat and close, I will go. Otheerwise forget it. I got my ankle crushed a couple years ago and standing around for hours is a no go. Yup, Im a total mess.

"Tony Iommis" Sabbath are total frisbees. But that was not the full band. Except for Bass, they are the same band, so its worse. Also, people realized post OZZY (DIO sab excluded. They rocked. I liked Ian Gillan too. That tour was AWESOME) really sucked and got the attention it deserved.NONE

Last shows I saw was The Who (right after entwhistle dies and they were surprisingly super excellent. One of the best out of the maybe 300 shows I have seen) and Pantera/Sabbath. That ruled. Long time ago.wow.

I agree that thrash is the better style, evidenced by the fact that it ages very well. Though Venom and Raven are sooooo corny when you hear it now.

As the years go on, I like MEgadeth more and more. They are def a leading thrash band that evolves to kepp interesting, but not too much.
    I really want to see them eventually. I'll make an exception for them.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I'm ready to rock out with my cock out. The Rage self-titled CD is just a beast.

This world needs more militant musicians who aren't afraid to take on the establishment with their revolutionary ideals. Zach is back, baby, and I say, "where ever you see a cop beatin' a guy! where ever a hungry, new born baby cries! where there's a fight against the blood and hatred in the air. Just look in their eyes, ma, n' i'll be there!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Hooligan View Post
    I'm ready to rock out with my cock out. The Rage self-titled CD is just a beast.

This world needs more militant musicians who aren't afraid to take on the establishment with their revolutionary ideals. Zach is back, baby, and I say, "where ever you see a cop beatin' a guy! where ever a hungry, new born baby cries! where there's a fight against the blood and hatred in the air. Just look in their eyes, ma, n' i'll be there!"
    Grapes of wrath, film and book, are bad ass and should be read/seen.

rock with your cock out. Teeheee

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Grapes of wrath, film and book, are bad ass and should be read/seen.

rock with your cock out. Teeheee
    jam out with yer clam out

thrash out with yer gash out

hang out with yer wang out... hehehe, and so on...

ah venom's corny but its a guilty pleasure, like Manowar or cradle of filth.

sorry to hear about your eyesight man that sucks.

just wondering, how do you manage to read text & stuff on the internet?

THE LEISURE HIVE