Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ratm... Who Else Is Psyched

Undisclosed
    I don't care for the new Metallica. St. Anger totally sucks balls. My favorite version of the band was when Cliff was still alive.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    Why do people like to **** on Mtallica? Because they aren't reproducing "Master of Puppets" over and over again. I really like St. Anger. Its a really good album if you really listen to it. Its my 2nd Fav. Metallica record behind Puppets. Jason Newsted really did the right thing by leaving... What is he doing now? Robert Trujillo is 20 times a better Bassist. Metallica does what they feel like doing. And they can do that. Why? Because they're ****ing metallica and they've sold 100 million records world-wide.
    I'll give you some Metal Perspective. Im 20 years older than you and remember weill when there was NO Thrash. When KillEm all came out
    Preist had that Parental Guidance crap
    Maiden was gone, Anthrax didnt exist yet.
    There was no band with that much Intergrity, orignality and the abiltiy to connect. They were just guys like the ones you drank beer with but they were, to many, as great as Zeppelin but totally underground.
    Every tune was an adventure in originality. I saw Metallica with Motorhead at a tiny club, I believe, before Kill em all. Then again a few months later than twice with ride the lightening and so on. As they got more popular fans didnt mind, like some fangroups, becasue they thought they deserved total recognition. Besides rocking they were also smart, I got to stand right in front of Cliff a number of times, he is one of my musical heroes and influences. Me and my friends dressed like him before we ever saw or heard them, they were really one of us. You cannot know what thats like. Poison and Cinderella were the big bands then, No GnR either.
    Form the Black Album I think they became MORE repetitive but removing the hard element. They focused on the singey stuff and stock riffs. They lost any social consciousness and started wrting trite lyrics.
    Its not the changes in sound, its like MIke Said. They got better all the time, then got in the "Im no longer hungry" rut. If the changes were great I would still like them, but its not. The Beatles constantly totally changed and it was always great. I dont need another MOP, I nedd a record BETTER than MOP, but it isnt going to happen.
    Metallica has the talent, but no the drive. They are simply getting paid.
    Bob Rock sucks and they are no longer special. If Metallica isnt special, they should just fold up.

Rob , the new bassist IS great. I am a big Suicidal Tendencies fan, but I think Jason was good for Metallica. Whether someone has more chops is irrelevent. Its like the old 80s argument "Vinnie Vincent is better than JIMI because he plays faster". Jason loved the band, Metal and the fans in a way I havent seen form anyone else. My top 2 Metalica records are MOP and Garage Days.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    People bag on metallica not because they want another MOP, but because the band has lost their integrity and drive completely. Load, Reload, and St. Anger (just as MikeP. stated) were complete piles of sh*t. There was ONE song on Reload I liked, and that's it from those three albums, however, from Kill, Ride, Master, and the Black Album, I like just about every song. And ....Justice? Holy sh*t, that's my favorite out of all of them. I HATE the mix (where's Jason!?) but goddamn, those songs were just SLAMMING.

Not to mention, James has started to "sing" instead of bark the lyrics like a pissed off Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz - like he used to. (Goddamn you Bob Rock!) It PAINS me horribly to hear him try and "sing" a song from the earlier albums when he should just be shouting the lyrics out (just as on the albums/cds) and driving the song home like a freight train through your skull.

See, I think the case with Metallica is, they have lost their drive due to money and fame. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying that it is what it is. They now have more money and fame than they know what to do with. The earlier albums were born out of the hunger and drive to make it to the top and never look back and to be one of the best metal bands in the world - all the while being sh*t on and told they were going nowhere. Mission accomplished, but where do you go from there?

When you're at the top, the only place left to go is down.

The drive, now that there is money, fame, and families, is gone. There is no more room for angst, hence, no more drive to make the best album they can. Just "pump out another record, the kids will eat it up because of our band name"

Now, the real question is, does anyone here think their next album is going to be worth a sh*t? I mean, seriously, do you think they can pull themselves out of the rut they buried themselves in with Load/Reload/St. Anus...errr... anger?

I doubt it, but i'll give them a chance. That's about all I can do. Give them a chance and hope they lay a golden egg, although I don't think that's what's going to happen, and it pains me to say that as an old-school fan, but alas, like I said, it is what it is.

***edited to add: damn coma, we must've been replying at the same time and I didn't see your post until after I posted myself. Seems you and I are on the same page. That's not surprising, considering we were listening to Metallica long before most of their current fans were born.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 22-Feb-2007 at 05:46 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I did, however, get a chance to see them and Queensryche on tour (during the Mindcrime/Justice tours) and talk about a KICKASS show. Back when Metallica was still 'metal'.
    I saw that. The Justice shows were SIIIICK. I saw the, with someone else, I cant remember though. I saw MOP tour with Ozzy, That was great too and Monsters of Rock

I wish I would've caught one of the Anthrax reunion shows. I'm pissed now that I didn't. I would have, but I figured this would last longer than a tour - at least a new record and tour afterwards is what I was expecting, but... I STILL can't believe Charlie, Scott and Joey screwed this up again. I wanted a new CD with belladonna, even though I dig John Bush too. Oh well, I didn't think it would last, but I was hopeful.
    Joey's the shiznit. I saw a "reunion" show but Joey and the lead GTR wasnt there. It was tht ONLY reason I went and I got ripped off. It was a fraud and I get pissed when I think about it. It was decent, but thats all

So you saw SOD live, eh? that's awesome. I have a bootleg of them on vhs too, and I distinctly remember Billy Milano performing a lot of the show in just his underwear (god help us all...). Talk about going blind!.
    LC
    Hehehehee
    AC is a total ripoff of SOD, but they dont compare. Billy is an ugly bastid for sure. I like the Harry Chapin song "drivin south on th L.I.E..."
    I thinks thats MOD though. I ahve some audio Boots, but no vid. God, I Love SOD. United Forces is massive. F**k the Middle east roars, But Speak English or Die is the Jam. When my idiot neighbors blast latin music all night, I have considered running my stereo through My Gtr amp and out blasting them like a reggae sound clash. Thats Metal, yo.

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    YES! I went to the Monsters of Rock show at RFK Stadium in DC in what was it, 1986?? UNBELIEVEABLE show!! it was JUST before Justice came out, and OMG, it was incredible. I was in the 'general admission' (ie: you were on the field in 100 degree weather with 30,000 fans) and as soon as they turned around Metallica amps and we saw the "justice" artwork on them, the ENTIRE crowd pushed forward twards the stage. It wasn't fun, 'cause I was in about the 5th row of people. That who concert, from the viewers perspective, was a NIGHTMARE. They wouldn't spray down the crowds with water 'cause they didn't want to ruin the football field. Well, by the end othe night when VH was on stage, there were about 4-5 bonfires on the grass in the crowds. So much for that idea.

I still have my 'parking lot' shirt from that show that has the Van Halen "VH" backwards. We all called it the "Han Valen" shirt. I bought it in the parking lot 'cause I didn't want to buy one inside the stadium - WAY too expensive. My Han Valen shirt only cost me $10.

United States
    ...It wasn't fun, 'cause I was in about the 5th row of people. That who concert, from the viewers perspective, was a NIGHTMARE. They wouldn't spray down the crowds with water 'cause they didn't want to ruin the football field. Well, by the end othe night when VH was on stage, there were about 4-5 bonfires on the grass in the crowds. So much for that idea.

I still have my 'parking lot' shirt from that show that has the Van Halen "VH" backwards. We all called it the "Han Valen" shirt. I bought it in the parking lot 'cause I didn't want to buy one inside the stadium - WAY too expensive. My Han Valen shirt only cost me $10.
    I have a DIO holy Diver shirt (1984?)that still fits casue it stretched to 4 times the size!
    I hate getting schmushed. You have to cross your arms with elbows pointing out so people step off.
    I was real drunk at MOR so I have a hazy memory of Specifics, but I knew I went beserk for metallica.

...And ....Justice? Holy sh*t, that's my favorite out of all of them. I HATE the mix (where's Jason!?) but goddamn, those songs were just SLAMMING.

Not to mention, James has started to "sing" instead ...

See, I think the case with Metallica is, they have lost their drive due to money and fame. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying that it is what it is. They now have more money and fame than they know what to do with. The earlier albums were born out of the hunger and drive to make it to the top and never look back and to be one of the best metal bands in the world - all the while being sh*t on and told they were going nowhere. Mission accomplished, but where do you go from there?

When you're at the top, the only place left to go is down.

Now, the real question is, does anyone here think their next album is going to be worth a sh*t? I mean, seriously, do you think they can pull themselves out of the rut they buried themselves in with Load/Reload/St. Anus...errr... anger?

I doubt it, but i'll give them a chance. That's about all I can do. Give them a chance and hope they lay a golden egg, although I don't think that's what's going to happen, and it pains me to say that as an old-school fan, but alas, like I said, it is what it is.

***edited to add: damn coma, we must've been replying at the same time and I didn't see your post until after I posted myself. Seems you and I are on the same page. That's not surprising, considering we were listening to Metallica long before most of their current fans were born.
    Bob Rock OUT. Rick Rubin IN. He will tell them when they suck. He's not a syncophant. So theres a 1% hope. That signing stuff is wackity wack. He cant sing. Not cant sing like Dylan just cant sing period. His melodies voxwise are lame too.
    St Anus. Haw!
    I take no joy in slagging them. To say I fugging Loved Metallica is an understatement. Its like seeing you saintly Mom become a crack skank.

Yeah were are on the upper edge of age on this board and Im glad we agree poiny for point. I dont want to seem smug "back in the day things were better" but when you grow up with a culture or an artist (in this case Metallica) and they turn to sh!t, its just sad. whn justice came out my boy greg dame home with the tape being first in line. The anticipation was really similar to knowing your about to bag a super fine chick.
    The Black Album. Smiles turn to frowns like you lost your hardie.

Id like to hear a new Justice Mix. More Jason, less Drum Gating (AS in NONE) those toms sound real dated like Phil Collins now. Garage Days is the Ultimate MeTallica Mix job. That record soiund superior to all the others by a MILE.

Jason was the man to watch live. He is the most enthusiastic musician ever. Its not fake like "now I bang My head, now I scowl". He's just real. I got lots of respect for him. He was embraced immediatley becasue of his earnestness, which is unusual because Cliff was the beat musician in Metallica. Big shoes to fill indeed.
    Last edited by coma; 22-Feb-2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    I agree, Jason was fantastic to watch on stage, and everything he did he looked like he meant it.

To me, since I'm not just a music fan but a musician (guitarists for 27 years now, was in a touring band for 9 years), I appreciate that, and I can usually tell when people are just 'going through the motions' or slamming out and meaning what they play. Jason meant everything when he played and was sooo into what he was doing - probably mostly because he's a fan first - as someone else already pointed out.

I still say the best career move he ever made was to get the hell out of Metallica. Now, that being said, I think his forey into "Rock Star Supernova" was kinda cheesy, but again, he had and still has more integrity than Gilby & Tommy and everyone else on that show put together.

Lets hope that if a song sucks, a riff sucks, or they start falling back into their Load/Reload/St. Anger ways, Rick Rubin will kick them in the nutsack, tell them it's sh*t, and push them to do better.

One can dream, but sometimes those dreams can turn into nightmares. Lets just see where this goes. I'm hopeful, but I don't have a lot of faith... and like you, it saddens me to no end to bag on these guys, but if ANY band has ever been accused of screwing over their fans in a royal fashion, it's these guys. Not to mention, when you have a dingbat like Lars as the spokesperson for your band, that doesn't help either.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed, hope for the best, and expect the worst.

BTW: I agree about Garage Days - that was fantastic sounding, even with all of it's apparent "warts" (ie: bum notes, buzzing amps, background noise, etc). THAT is how Metallica was meant to be heard. Live, raw, and in your face. I enjoyed the production on MOP, but yeah, Garage Days (the first one, not this Garage Inc. crap) was where it's at.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 22-Feb-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Rock out with your cock out. I liked Metallica's Master of the Puppets, Ride the Lightning and And Justice... CDs. Post And Justice... they just sucked. That's only MY opinion, of course.

An earlier poster mentioned Anthrax and S.O.D.. Man, I love SOD! Billy Milano and Scotty Ian just kick ass. I like Anthrax, but I don't care for Joey Belladonna and the other singers they've had very much. Billy Milano should have left MOD and joined Anthrax as the lead vocalist.

United States
    Milano in Anthrax? OMG, that could be really interesting.. I guess it's not so far fetched - hell, Anthrax did a cover of "Milk" so nothing would surprise me.

"Kill yourself, kill yourself, Why don't you kill yourself? Don't rely on no one else, end it all just kill yourself noooowwww!"

Milano came up with some of the funniest sh*t i've ever heard recorded on an album.

I think, in light of the many things going on in the world today, I'm gonna spin "F*ck the Middle East" by them right now...

LC

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Don't forget Anthrax also did their rendition of "Chromatic Death" which they titled "Attack Of The Killer B's".

I think Billy Milano in Anthrax would have ruined that band. Anthrax may be silly but they have their serious sides... Milano can't be serious and doesn't have that great of a voice. Neil Turbin and Joey Belladonna were/are great singers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Billy Milano despite the fact that he's one of the biggest dicks ever. When I saw them live he did like 45 minutes of stand-up comedy halfway through the set followed by them doing all of the "Ballad Of" songs, including some new/unreleased ones, which totaled up to like 12 or something. Probably the funniest live show I've ever seen.

PUSSYWHIPPED, PUSSYWHIPPED, DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE PUSSYWHIPPED?!?!

United States

That's right, they did Chromatic Death too. Wasn't that and March of the SOD the songs they used for the intros to MTV's "Headbangers Ball" back in the day? i think they were.

yeah, I don't think Milano would fit in Anthrax, but damn, that would be hilarious. Basically, you'd have SOD with a new bass player.

"I wish I had some goddamn milk, my Cheerios just ain't the same!
    I wish I had some goddamn milk, too bad the milkman never came!
    "

It never gets old.

Undisclosed
    I must say out of the big 4, Slayer reigns supreme. They're the one band that didn't sell out and soften up. They're kicking just as much ass now as they did in 83. I'm proud to have been able to see Slayer the show they filmed for their DVD 'still reigning.' no one in the crowd knew it was going to rain blood, then all the lights went dark and Lombardo started playing the intro... then it just all came down. amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-DTrMG4vs
    Homepageofthedeader since 2002

capncnut
    Top performance.