Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A 3 part You Tube of Behind the scenes of Day of the Dead!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Just sprinted upstairs and checked the back of my copy, but it does say it's on there - "all new 39 minute" etc under the title of 'the many days of day of the dead'.
    I must be blind then! I'll check mine again

So as Axlish suggested this appears to be exactly the same as the UK 2 disc version except that has an additional(? or alternative ?) commentary track?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Not an additional track, I think the Nicotero etc commentary replaces the GAR & Co track ... weird.

ViP

United States
    I'll have to check it later, forgot to last night. Just guessing but I'd say that it has less features than the divimax, simply because Arrow Films usually skimp out.

The Anchor Bay Divimax is by far the best edition out there, hands down.

United States
    Thanks guys I will look for this next time I am out shopping hopefully my little burgh will have it in the bargain bin and if not I will do a search and buy it online. I really do have to get this on dvd...after watching you tube the behind the scenes footage I am actually getting a new slant on "Rhodes" lol

ViP

United States
    Just checked and the new UK DVD does have the 20 minute Behind The Scenes featurette made by Tempe Video. It is the exact same featurette included on the FIRST Anchor Bay DVD release. However, as noted in an earlier post, the laserdisc contains a longer version.

The UK DVD also has The Many Days of Day of the Dead borrowed from the Anchor Bay Divimax release. The Divimax also has a B.T.S. featurette but it is simply a compilation of 31 minutes of B.T.S. footage.

This Arrow UK DVD marks the 2nd faux 2-disc releasefor a Romero film, as both discs are SINGLE layer. The other one they did this with was Martin. Their prior release of Martin was a single layer disc, with MORE, thats right, MORE extras they their newer faux 2-disc set.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    This Arrow UK DVD marks the 2nd faux 2-disc releasefor a Romero film, as both discs are SINGLE layer. The other one they did this with was Martin. Their prior release of Martin was a single layer disc, with MORE, thats right, MORE extras they their newer faux 2-disc set.
    Sorry, what do you mean by "faux"?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sorry, what do you mean by "faux"?
    I'm guessing he means that since each disc is only a single layer DVD5, all the content could have quite happily co-existed on a single dual-layered DVD9 without sacrificing quality.

Its like implying that getting two individually wrapped socks is somehow better than picking up a pair. Not so for those in the know!
    Last edited by Griff; 22-Feb-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I'm guessing he means that since each disc is only a single layer DVD5, all the content could have quite happily co-existed on a single dual-layered DVD9 without sacrificing quality.

Its like implying that getting two individually wrapped socks is somehow better than picking up a pair. Not so for those in the know!
    I get it... I think

Does that mean the image/sound quality is worse in the Arrow version to the Anchor Bay digimax version? (as it's half the size)
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I get it... I think

Does that mean the image/sound quality is worse in the Arrow version to the Anchor Bay digimax version? (as it's half the size)
    In a word, yes, but it isn't due to the size. AB used their Divimax processing for their release, whereas Arrow's version is more of a run of the mill transfer. It looks better than Anchor Bay's first version, but not nearly as good as the Divimax. I only wanted the Arrow release because of the commentary. There are other things to consider regarding disc size. The Divimax disc has DTS (around 500MB), DD 5.1 (around 300MB), 2 commentaries, and a 2.0 mix.

Administrator

England
    In a word, yes, but it isn't due to the size. AB used their Divimax processing for their release, whereas Arrow's version is more of a run of the mill transfer. It looks better than Anchor Bay's first version, but not nearly as good as the Divimax. I only wanted the Arrow release because of the commentary. There are other things to consider regarding disc size. The Divimax disc has DTS (around 500MB), DD 5.1 (around 300MB), 2 commentaries, and a 2.0 mix.
    What does the Arrow one offer then audio wise in comparison!?
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

United States
    5.1, 2.0, FX Crew team commentary

Administrator

England
    5.1, 2.0, FX Crew team commentary
    So you lose the DTS and the other two audio commentaries on the Divimax version!?

Ta...
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

United States
    Get this...

Arrow released a version of Martin back around 03-04, pretty much identical to the old Anchor Bay version released in the states, except it lacked the commentary. It more than made up for the lack of commentary by including a German made documentary that was shot on the set of Dawn of the Dead in 1978, prior to Roy Frumkes team showed up to film Document. Although it is dubbed over in German, it is still a facinating watch, and something that isn't talked about enough in Romero circles. It made the Martin disc worth getting, even if you already had the USA AB release.

Fast forward to late last year. Arrow announces a new release of Martin, except this time, no German documentary. Thats cool I guess, they lost the rights or whatever. Ok, what else... It'll be the same features as the new Lion's Gate DVD, widescreen with the 10 minute featurette. Ok, cool. Here is the kicker, they call it a 2 disc special edition, and put out two single layer discs! Their 2 disc "special edition" is not even up to snuff with their original release!

Another kicker. One of their promotional people said they'd send me two copies of their new "special edition" to give away, in exchange for some advertising on my Martin site. Never got the copies, and after they said they'd send the copies, they never replied to any of my emails again. Lousy company all around, IMHO.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've got the Martin DVD with that German-dubbed documentary, indeed, an interesting watch (despite the uber-annoying German dubbing) ... and I remember renting the 2-disc version, the 2nd disc is absolutely beyond pathetic, how on earth it requires a disc on it's own I have no idea. The feature on the 2nd disc is literally under 10 minutes - and that's it for the 2nd disc!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've got the Martin DVD with that German-dubbed documentary, indeed, an interesting watch (despite the uber-annoying German dubbing)... and I remember renting the 2-disc version, the 2nd disc is absolutely beyond pathetic, how on earth it requires a disc on it's own I have no idea. The feature on the 2nd disc is literally under 10 minutes!
    Precisely the reason why I didn't shell out the 16 nuggets for the 2 disc edition. The solo disc release is by far the best and yeah, that German featurette is rock solid. They should've smuggled it onto the Dawn Ultimate Edition box set.