Thread: A Scanner Darkly

capncnut

A Scanner Darkly

I just saw this movie.

I'm not gonna give away any spoilers (unless you want them) but I thought it was pretty damn good. A real headf**k of a movie but with a classic twist at the end. Robert Downey Jnr kicked ass in it. Anyone see this flick?

Super Moderator

UK
    I got the DVD (R1) at Xmas, it's a rather cool movie, quite funny too. Very interesting, and it's surprising how quickly you adjust to the rotoscoping. The two main segments I liked most were the bicycle scene and the home invasion paranoia part, I thought those were great.

And Winona Ryder is pretty damn hot in rotoscope ... I wonder if those were her actual bewbs.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, it is a great flick. You can tell that Linklater's people have gotten much better with the rotoscoping process since "Waking Life".

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And Winona Ryder is pretty damn hot in rotoscope ... I wonder if those were her actual bewbs.
    I remember reading on a movie site before the flick was released that they arent hers. They were just drawn onto Ryder.

Super Moderator

UK
    pfft ... what a jip ... ah well, back to that uncropped Jennifer Aniston boobies picture that's floating around out there in some places where the lawyers have gotten to.

United States

Scanner Darkly ...

Yes , I read the book as a kid ... I also read " The Father Thing" by Philip K. Dick that was really creepy . This film seems to be very good , I am eager to watch it soon .
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Banned User

United States
    I want to see it. I tryed to see it in the theater but it do dnot play long here where I am at.

Undisclosed
    Yeah great movie....saw it when it released...now I own the DVD....

I hope a special edition comes out....but Ill be pissed about it cause Id have to buy a repeat DVD...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed, the DVD isn't exactly weighed down with extras ... and no doubt there'll be a "better" version released next year or some wank...

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Agreed, the DVD isn't exactly weighed down with extras... and no doubt there'll be a "better" version released next year or some wank...
    I hope not, I just paid 12 notes for mine.

I own a fair amount of Richard Linklater dvd's and most of 'em come up a bit short on the extras front. I was hoping there would be a lot more stuff on the Before Sunrise/Sunset dvd's. All you get on both are a 10 minute featurette, a trailer and chapter selection (NO WAY are chapters an extra feature, right Andy ) which is a bit lame tbh.

Linklater also did another animation before A Scanner Darkly called Waking Life. I think it is just as good as Scanner and it stars Wiley Wiggins, Ethan Hawke and Adam Goldberg. Here's a clip.

United States
    Wow, it seems a lot of people must like the rotoscoping in this movie. I have to admit, although I liked the film, the rotoscoping got on my nerves after a while.