Thread: What I expected...

Undisclosed

What I expected...

I think Land is a really good movie. But, I think if Romero had full freedom, this would be what he would have done with Land; 20 years in the future, the zombies are mostly rotted and are nothing but skeletons and dust. Yet, the world of the living is trying to rebuild itself. But, greed and power creates conflict between the living and a war between the living begins.

I think the film would have invoved very little zombies. I would have loved to see that frankly. It would really follow well in the series. Day of the Dead meets Mad Max really... I dunno, im sure it would bomb and be hated by most, but I'd love to watch a movie set in a zombie attack, but had very little to do with the attack of the zombies. Romero always said he doesn't look at his zombie movies as zombie movies. They aren't about the zombies. They are about the characters conflicts that happen to take place in the middle of a zombie epidemic.

Thats the version of Land i really expected to see. Which is why I wasn't too fond of Land on the first viewing. But, after erasing that from my head and watching Land as if it were just another zombie movie, i really liked it. It is flawed but, so are most other movies. But, that is the version of Land I would love to see.

Canada
    i second that
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    I think Land is a really good movie. But, I think if Romero had full freedom, this would be what he would have done with Land; 20 years in the future, the zombies are mostly rotted and are nothing but skeletons and dust. Yet, the world of the living is trying to rebuild itself. But, greed and power creates conflict between the living and a war between the living begins.

I think the film would have invoved very little zombies. I would have loved to see that frankly. It would really follow well in the series. Day of the Dead meets Mad Max really... I dunno, im sure it would bomb and be hated by most, but I'd love to watch a movie set in a zombie attack, but had very little to do with the attack of the zombies. Romero always said he doesn't look at his zombie movies as zombie movies. They aren't about the zombies. They are about the characters conflicts that happen to take place in the middle of a zombie epidemic.

Thats the version of Land i really expected to see. Which is why I wasn't too fond of Land on the first viewing. But, after erasing that from my head and watching Land as if it were just another zombie movie, i really liked it. It is flawed but, so are most other movies. But, that is the version of Land I would love to see.
    I think your right about Land. I never thought of it that way. It was a zombie movie, but the trilogy really wasnt. hmmmm.

Thats a good idea, btw, but more zombies (teehee)
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

i agree...plus like i have always said.......

the major world powers have massive underground complexes....stocked with personnel, supplies, and weapons.....

in time the zombies ( like the old school experiment with 2 rats reproducing in a closed system...in time they all die ) would be of little threat....however before that the living would have been all but wiped out....

those that remain would be either

1 easy to control

2 would join and serve the new powers that be in a heart beat for at least their cover of help...however "shallow that may be"...

if a war took place it would be among the old powers of the former world...

however this might be the time for that one world govt we all have heard so much about.....

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post

So why don't you just watch Mad Max, though i guess when you say Mad Max you actually mean Mad Max 2, and then watch Day of the Dead after it?

I do hear what you are saying, however, what you are describing is actually a straight forward "post-apocalyptic" storyline (a zombie movie with no zombies) as opposed to a zombie movie, which is always what GAR had intended to make.

United States
    Certainly one of the main complaints with Land is that the movie was all of a sudden about the zombies whereas the previous were about how the humans dealt with the zombies.

Personally, I think where Land missed the boat was in making the outside areas around Fiddler's Green devoid of zombies. It would have been far better, imo, to have literally a sea of zombies outside the walls, all moaning and pressing in all the time. Far too many to control or destroy. And Dead Reckoning has to carve a path anytime they want to make a supply run. The overwhelming mental oppression of that would've been great horror and well in keeping with the setup of the original 3 movies.

Super Moderator

UK
    But, I think if Romero had full freedom, this would be what he would have done with Land; 20 years in the future, the zombies are mostly rotted and are nothing but skeletons and dust.
    But GAR has said himself that Universal basically just left him completely alone to do Land, he just had to make the odd phone call back to home base. And clearly GAR wrote what he wanted Land to be, lol.

Undisclosed
    noty exactly. romero did say universal left him alone with filming it, but im willing to bet big money that looked at his script and told him to cut it down and put more zombies in it. i think romero would have liked to do alot more with fiddlers green. trust me, when you work in a studio like universal, you NEVER have complete freedom.

Banned User

United States
    I agree. I would not be suprised if a movie like that comes out soon.

Super Moderator

UK
    And yet Romero said he put on screen what he wanted to show and wrote what he wanted to say...and the film was pretty damn political throughout.

Undisclosed
    yeah of course that was a main idea... but it was a universal picture. if it was produced independently, then romero could be in 100 % controll. he says they left him alone PRETTY MUCH. that doesn't mean they said here's our 15 million, go shoot your movie, and we'll release it... NO WAY. Im sure quite a few other people had their fingers in the "Creative Pie". i can almost guarantee you that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    I agree. I would not be suprised if a movie like that comes out soon.
    cough-resi extinction-cough!

Super Moderator

UK
    Where's the evidence of what you say though?

And also, if Romero had done Land independently, that would be the time when GAR couldn't have put out the film he wanted. There's no way GAR could have raised $15 million on his own for a zombie film. Universal seized upon the opportunity to cash-in on Yawn04.

I think some people are a bit too sceptical about the studio system sometimes.

If GAR himself says he put up on screen what he wanted to show, then that's the end of that chapter, surely. He got to say what he wanted.

With Diary he wants to simplify the process and gain a copyright over at least one "of the Dead" movie. In that case, hopefully it doesn't suffer the fate of Night90, which got f*cked around.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree that if gar didn't have total freedom he would have said so. Why would he lie? If he told the truth about the whole NOTLD copyright fiasco, which imo is way more embarassing, then why not this?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"