Thread: Downloading YouTube video?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Downloading YouTube video?

Anybody know a good program that can download YouTube videos in MPEG format? I have this one called VDownloader but when I download to MPEG format it doesn't have any sound... AVI has sound, but MPEG doesn't. I've tried all the different bitrates and no matter what I can't get this program to give me the MPEGs with sound.

So does anybody know a program that WILL?

United States
    Mike - I know there is a program/plugin for FireFox called "Video Download" that once the video is completely loaded on YouTube, you can right-click on your browser window and save it - but it saves it in it's native FLV format.

There are lots of conversion programs out there, but I just use a FLV player (which there are many of our there too - lots of them free and decent enough to use and not have to go through with converting the file).

LC

United States
    There is a program FLV Extract that extracts the streams. I dont see how you could download as an Mpeg when youtube files are in flv format. Flv format consists of an avi and an aac audio or Mp3. Using Flv extract you can demux (seperate) the two streams and then convert.
    http://www.moitah.net/
    http://www.moitah.net/download/latest/FLV_Extract.zip
    I use this page to download the videos
    http://videodl.org/
    you change the extension after you dl.

EDIT. I dl's the vdownlaoder app (thanks for the heads up) and it worked fne for me. I tested in this link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tuhmOQ0l68
    becasue it was tiny and I would get a result quickly
    I threw the Mpeg in gspot codec analyzer and it says the audio is Sys Bitrate: 440479 kb/s VBR which is a very odd encoding bitrate, though in Media pLayer classic it says 64kps. It most likely doesnt make MP2 sound, but Mp3 packed in a mpeg. I will investigate further. If you could try the same test link and tell me what results you get that would be heloful in determining if its your system not wotking well with the app, the specific files you try to DL or you Comp is just missing a codec or two/
    Like I said, works fine for me so far
    EDIT 2.
    On furterh inverstigation,
    Avis have Mp3 audio and Mpeg ahd Mp2 audio. So its either you have some kind of codec fuxor, the app hates your comp or the files you are Dling are irregular
    Last edited by coma; 23-Feb-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

ViP

United States
    I use www.keepvid.com

enter the URL into the bar, click enter, then download the flv file once the link is shown.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm looking for one that downloads to MPEG so I don't have to download the AVI then convert it to MPEG before being able to put it to DVD. I want to skip the whole conversion process.

United States

I've found some problems with Youtube videos:

For some stupid reason, some of the videos I download from YouTube and convert with vdownloader and the other program will have a size of 0 bytes, meaning there is nothing there!

WTF?!!

Anyone else deal with this?

And BTW, I searched for Firefox plug-ins on the site and there was no Video Download plug-in, is this something from an independent vendor?

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

Canada
    Just to let u kno VLC player will play them no prb, along with media player classic. If you have a divx dvd player, find one with a ultra divx logo, it cuts threw it all .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    And BTW, I searched for Firefox plug-ins on the site and there was no Video Download plug-in, is this something from an independent vendor?

Dawg
    Take a look here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3242/

This has worked flawless for me, but it downloads the FLV file and must be converted if you want it in another format.

LC