Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What ever happened to Millitary for criminals?

United States

What ever happened to Millitary for criminals?

Back in the day didn't the courtd have the millitary as a tool instead of prison?

"Hey you stole a car, do you want to go to prison or join the army?"

The ACLU or some group like it beat that tool down, I think it could be a great oppertunity. Prison or jail doesn't reform most criminals but the disipline and pride one gets from the millitary can change peoples life.
    We should explore giving criminals (depending on the offense) the option.

I also think this would be a good tool for illegal "immigrants" and "earned citizenship".
    Its a job, it pays more than selling oranges, it shows that you want to be a US citizen. What a great way to "resolve their status"

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Tied2thetracks; 23-Feb-2007 at 05:58 PM.
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Any crime, as long as it isn't violent, I would be fine with. Violent offenders need to go to Jail period.

As far as the illegal immigrants, if they are willing to serve 8 years in the armed forces during peace time, 4 during war time and have seen major combat operations then they should be granted American Citizenship.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Dying

Undisclosed
    Other than it is an insult to those who willingly serve?

United States

damn.

Thank you for that, it hadden't even occured to me how it would be an insult.

I think there could be a compromise in there somwhere, I just don't know what it would be.

Mybe we could comp time to vets who commit crimes. (joke)

South Park operation brown shield comes to mind.

I know its not a perfec plan but I believe there is some merrit to it.
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't think it would send a very good message in this day and age.

"The military is for criminals."

United States
    They are letting in Felons and people with lower IQs and High School drop outs.
    So now all the upstanding dudes have to deal with dumasses and car thieves. The Military is not supposed to be prison, but if you do that it may be some help for crooks to straiten out, but makes it a lower experience for regular folks
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    I went in the Marines to get myself out of trouble, but more like as an escape rather than an alternative to jail/prison time....althought it was a minor offense, one of many. I just figured that if I wanted to get off my lazy ass and get some discipline and direction in my life, the Marines were my ticket out. Looking back, it was much better than the alternative, which would have been staying around and getting in even more trouble, possibly ending up in prison, dead, etc.

I grew up more during my four years of active duty and learned more about life and death than any school, job, etc could ever hope to teach me. It was, without a doubt, the best decision I ever made. So if the person (criminal) is willing and able, I say it is a good thing to serve....however, some people are just plain fuc*ed up and worthless individuals, and they won't be able to take orders, work with others, be responsible for their own actions, etc...so it's not always the answer. Worked for me, though.

I recently read that the military is now taking more enlistees with what are known as "moral waivers", which means they are allowing more and more people to enlist, in spite of their criminal record. I do think that you have to draw the line somewhere, though...I don't think I'd be too comfortable having a guy who's been convicted of rape or child molestation in my platoon.

United States
    Lets help young kids get on the right track, What does jail offere them?

Yes you can die fighting a war. You can die breaking into cars and selling dope.

Canada
    from working in the correctional system and from the school i am curently taking i have seen first hand that prison only helps a small handfull of cons reabilitate. most of them are more hardend and street wise when they get out then before they went in, so i would be all for non-violent criminals having the option of prision or millitary.
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    from working in the correctional system and from the school i am curently taking i have seen first hand that prison only helps a small handfull of cons reabilitate. most of them are more hardend and street wise when they get out then before they went in, so i would be all for non-violent criminals having the option of prision or millitary.
    If , for example, I got caught with a bunch of herb and was facing 10 years in jail, I would def take 4 years in the Army instead because you can meet exotic people and kill them Kidding on the last part.

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Canada
    for crimes like that it would be a perfect option. its win win for everyone. saves tax dollars since we dont have to house them in the prision and it sure as hell would beat jail.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    for crimes like that it would be a perfect option. its win win for everyone. saves tax dollars since we dont have to house them in the prison and it sure as hell would beat jail.
    When I was a kid I made some "mistakes". Prison would have done nothing to help me unless learning how to get gangbanged and not hang yourself is a skill.
    Prison should be for violent scumbags and cons artists (that includes corrupt officials). Prison would be a lot more fair if they oput violent people in one place and non violent in another. Why does a DUI person who hurt someone be in a cell with a serial rapist or a gangbanger?

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    uh...so youd want some psycho gun nut to be taught how to use a tank?

Undisclosed
    Considering that one of the things the drill into you in the military is de-humanisation, I don't think it matters whether you have a degree, nothing or are a criminal.

However, I think the disipline empthasised in the military would be a better approach then anything else.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    When I was a kid I made some "mistakes". Prison would have done nothing to help me unless learning how to get gangbanged and not hang yourself is a skill.
    Prison should be for violent scumbags and cons artists (that includes corrupt officials). Prison would be a lot more fair if they oput violent people in one place and non violent in another. Why does a DUI person who hurt someone be in a cell with a serial rapist or a gangbanger?
    i agree. puting a non-violent offender like a DUI or theft in the same cell as someone who is a killer or a rapist does nothing to help rehabilitation it only turns them into a harder criminal.