Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Got to love James Cameron! Now he's sinking Christianity!

capncnut
    "Our Father who art in Heaven,
    Flying Spaghetti Monster be thy name..."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ^spagetti monster 1 - religion 0

UK
    Maybe I've seen one too many Romero movies, but I'm under the impression that resurrection is a bad thing...

Dying

Undisclosed
    Thread resurrection is!
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Undisclosed

All Questions on Faith and Free Will will be answered.

OK, not really.

But one of the clearer voices on the matter was C.S. Lewis (yes, the man who wrote the Narnia books and a kick-ass Sci-Fi Trilogy, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength )

He also wrote this little tome called The Screwtape Letters. It concerned the correspondence of an executive level demon (Screwtape) with his nephew(Wormwood ) where the senior tempter advises the younger on how to undermind faith.
    Let's just says that many so called spiritual big mouths in the media today would not be seeing the Heavenly Father anytime soon.

There is another book of his, The All Seeing Eye, which is pretty cool as it gently chides the faithful for externalizing and objectifying thier religion as opposed to simply practicing it in the best ways possible.

If I believed in organized religion, I'd likely be Christian, but the hierachy in generally has made an unholy mess of potentially good things. A while back something happened which pushed me into a middle ground of Faith. I believe in God because of that incident, but it's not a measure for judging others only my own conduct.

If our contributions to this world come from God, Nature, or a combination of both, does it really matter?

Oh, and for the atheists. Too many media wonks who claim this title and write books on the matter too often sound like children who never got any presents from Santa Claus.

Logic neither proves or disproves the presence of God or it's equal (Yet), all else is simply opinion.

Wayne Z

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Three cheers for you! I salute you sir! Yay!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    God doesnt intervene cause we have the freedom of choice in all things. When things go wrong its always blamed on God, he didnt do or he did something that caused this..or he isnt there at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post

Logic neither proves or disproves the presence of God or it's equal (Yet), all else is simply opinion.
    Not only do people blame god when bad things happen, he gets praised when good things happen. You can't take away the first one without wholly and totally removing the second one... but logic is not the language of religion. Faith is. No amount of logic should disturb or corrupt the faithful. But every one of the faithful fail when trying to use logic to explain their faith.

For if faith required either scientific evidence or broadly appealed to logic then it would not be faith. Faith requires only belief without question. Any attempt at using logic to explain ones faith forfeits the legitimacy of the faith of the one trying to use logic. This is the alleged fundamental reason why god doesn't do miracles anymore. If god were to reveal himself publicly to all and perform spectacular unambiguous miracles then faith would no longer be required.

I think art is a better metaphor for religion than logic. Art is a personal and emotional appeal as religion should be. If someone consider themselves christian, he or she should be making statements about how christian doctrine appeals to their heart and how it helped them in their relationships with others and therefore represents truth to them.

Trying to tell me the Earth is approximately 6,000 years old, carbon dating is fallacious, dinosaur bones were left by the devil to lure me away from god, homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of god and as such has some kind of modern relevance (as opposed to the admonition being merely a Bronze Age antiquated social construct), Jesus died for my sins (when it is clearly a political, anti-Roman, pre-planned martyrdom), logic can't disprove gods existence (when logic as a rule cannot disprove any negative assertion), or god is worthy of praise when good things happen, but not worthy of scorn when bad things happen, tells more of the failings of faith than its merits.

My target in this discussion is the ill advised attempt at logic when discussing issues of faith. I have much respect for those who demonstrate real faith. And I can best describe real faith by defining it's opposite, which is faith that is so threatened by logic that it feels compelled to emulate it...poorly.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    My target in this discussion is the ill advised attempt at logic when discussing issues of faith. I have much respect for those who demonstrate real faith. And I can best describe real faith by defining it's opposite, which is faith that is so threatened by logic that it feels compelled to emulate it...poorly.
    Well said.

I have the biggest respect for folks who really live their faith as opposed to others who think God will just protect them because they simply believe.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Well said.

I have the biggest respect for folks who really live their faith as opposed to others who think God will just protect them because they simply believe.
    That is like my friend- He does anything but live the life that a Christian is supposed to live, yet he still thinks that God will "protect" him because he believes in him. I think the one idea that people can't seem to grasp in relation to God and Christianity as a whole, is that the individual needs to put forth a conscious effort to change his life, and base it around the principles that God has lain down in the bible.

I still love the guy like a brother, but it just grates my nerves when he tries to preach to me, or explain something to me that I already know, and then the next minute telling me how he just "shot his load in his girlfriends pussy, and spanked her hard for 20 minutes". Thanks man, I need to hear that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    and spanked her hard for 20 minutes". Thanks man, I need to hear that.
    He's trying to teach you to turn the other cheek.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 17-Nov-2009 at 03:27 PM.

United States

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Neither do the Ghostbusters...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Neither do the Ghostbusters...

I bet Bassman would love this...oh, wait, nevermind...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    wanna piss off ur parents? tell em jesus was a zombie........