Thread: "Not a zombie movie"

Undisclosed

"Not a zombie movie"

This may be a bit of a non-issue but, hey, it has been a little quiet in here so here goes...
    While there seems to be a real resurgance in the zombie movie genre of late i have noticed there seems to be a glut of films popping up that fit into the zombie (or infestation) mold that directors are fighting over themselves to tell us are NOT zombie films. I read recently that Robert Rodriguez is eager to point out that the Planet Terror section of Grindhouse isn't actually a zombie film but is actually a 'diseased people' film. We also have 28 Weeks Later on its way and now i see that Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) is filming 'Doomsday' - another not-zombies film. Don't get me wrong, i am actually looking forward to all the above but i wonder if this is some kind of mini-trend. If this has been covered in great detail before then i obviously haven't been paying attention

Super Moderator

UK
    They're "plague movies" I'd say, which can be very much like zombie films, just look at The Crazies or Rabid. Roll on Grindhouse and Doomsday I say, can't wait to see both of them.

capncnut
    I really loved 28 Days Later so I think it's gonna be interesting to see what they come up with for the sequel.

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Action or horror based, these movies all fit into the "post apocalyptic" sub-genre.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    aye there all post apocalyptic, hell they werent even zombies in resident evil, they were sick people in that too, though zombies aint technically the walking dead, there under the influence and control of something else.

Undisclosed
    Well the word zombie has been twisted over the years. I could have said living dead films but most people see zombies as the living dead. The zombies in Zombie Flesh Eaters for example arent zombies they're living dead, i was just using the term most people accept. I guess i could have made the point better by asking why some directors almost seem to be going out of their way to say their films are not zombie films in the same way that a few years ago many directors were going out of their way to say their horror films weren't horror films.

United States
    For the same reason people say sequential art or graphic novel instead of comics. Seems more classy to some.
    Horror, zombies and comics are too working class I think for some artistes
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i allways thought of em as the walking dead....perhaps i should grow a goatee and wear a bere' then?

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    aye there all post apocalyptic, hell they werent even zombies in resident evil, they were sick people in that too, though zombies aint technically the walking dead, there under the influence and control of something else.
    1: There were zombies in Resident Evil.
    2: They were not sick people, they were actually dead.
    3: Technically, they (zombie flesheaters) are the walking dead.