Thread: Finding old photos.....

Undisclosed

Finding old photos.....

Finding random photos is so wierd....
    Like my younger brother just handed me a couple of photos that I dont ever remember being taken even though they were taken recently...

Like I never remember this being taken

and this one with my sister Im clearly half retarded in...

and this one it looks like the scanner skipped several rows of pixels cause my face is all distorted

Me and my brothers friends
    Last edited by Terran; 15-Mar-2007 at 07:27 AM.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Super Moderator

UK
    hehehe, I love finding old photos, digging them out from somewhere and looking through them, brings back loads of memories. I don't take nearly enough, filming shiite is my photography though I guess...

Anyway, you look like you're half cut in most of those pics, no offense intended, looks like you're always having a ball if you ask me.

Kazakhstan
    Strange you should mention this sort of thing, i found a big box of DV & cam tapes today, full of random stuff i'd filmed between 1998 & 2004. most of it i have no recollection of whatsoever...

i wish i'd filmed more stuff now tbh
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United Kingdom
    You never regret taking random photos or video footage, ever. they always bring a smile to your face when you stumble across them years later.

Like a few I found of Liam and I a couple of months after we got together (about 3 years ago now!):

It's nice, because when i look at them I even remember sitting on that couch and my mum taking the photos, and on the one hand thinking, "gah, ma, don't take photos of me in my grungey clothes with no makeup on" but at the same time not really caring too much because I was really happy and content

Yeah yeah, I know

It's also a cautionary tale of why I shouldn't leave my eyebrows au naturelle, have brown hair, or let other people do my extensions
    Last edited by Chic Freak; 15-Mar-2007 at 10:33 PM.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Super Moderator

UK
    Awwwww ...

Anyway, yes, totally on the video footage front. I wish I'd forked out for fresh tapes, rather than tape over a lot of stuff. From the second semester of first year until the very end at Uni, I filmed loads of stuff (and edited that semester's stuff into a "Uni Video" (did 7 of them, plus spin-offs/specials). The reason I taped over stuff was at the time you've had your fill, and you've edited the good stuff together, so I taped over the old stuff to make way for the new...now that was a bad idea because:

1) No original copy of the footage remains, I just have the edited VCD-level footage.
    2) All those "in between" moments are lost.

However, I always use fresh tapes now and saved as much footage as possible (including stuff on Hi8). You're totally right, looking back at the footage is just a pure joy, especially looking back (in my case) on those Uni Videos (all edited together with music and such, even the credits list the favourite phrases for that semester - e.g. "b'ave").

I love filming stuff like that, it's a living photograph.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Justin? Is that you?

United States
    i dont want to find sex photos of my grandma. i tend to stay away from dusty boxes.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Awwwww ...

Anyway, yes, totally on the video footage front. I wish I'd forked out for fresh tapes, rather than tape over a lot of stuff. From the second semester of first year until the very end at Uni, I filmed loads of stuff (and edited that semester's stuff into a "Uni Video" (did 7 of them, plus spin-offs/specials). The reason I taped over stuff was at the time you've had your fill, and you've edited the good stuff together, so I taped over the old stuff to make way for the new...now that was a bad idea because:

1) No original copy of the footage remains, I just have the edited VCD-level footage.
    2) All those "in between" moments are lost.

However, I always use fresh tapes now and saved as much footage as possible (including stuff on Hi8). You're totally right, looking back

at the footage is just a pure joy, especially looking back (in my case) on those Uni Videos (all edited together with music and such, even the credits list the favourite phrases for that semester - e.g. "b'ave").

I love filming stuff like that, it's a living photograph.

I have a lot of video footage of me hanging out with my friends way back in highschool....

Like when I was a senor highschool I got a job for the sole purposes of purchasing a digital video camera....

I recorded so much crap....so much stuff that I thought was crap..... Most of it got deleted or overrecorded....

What I wouldnt give to get all that footage back....so many things thought to be insignificant that now I wish I had evidence of those moments existence.....

A lot of stuff remains....and they are gold...but so much more was lost....

what a delayed response....?!

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Super Moderator

UK
    I guess a lesson learned for the both of us, eh?

It's weird how stuff, which at the time you're not so "hot" on, can then become stuff you have a blast watching back again a while later.

United States
    You guys have it "spot on" as you call it..keep those photos, pics, cause we never took enough of them and now time has passed and you cant get it back its gone like the wind passes!
    I have never been a picture taker but now since my husband bought me a digital camera for Christmas I am pic taking nut...if it moves or it dont move I am snapping pics of it!lol
    Atleast now I will have the pics of my granddaughter growing up!
    There is a craze here scrapbooking and I am sort of getting into that, its expensive way organizing your photos into albumns.
    You put your photos in the albumns with different things, there are all kinds of little things you can put in it; say u were graduating from University there are graduation hats and miscellaneous things you can glue down around pics, then you can put captions you want describing your special day!
    Anyway, keep doing the photos tapes for the memories its fun to go back and look at them later on!

Super Moderator

UK
    The scrap booking thing sounds nifty.

I take more pics now that I have a simple digital camera, and of course - a camera on my phone now (even if it isn't great quality). Of course, back at uni the video camera would be out a hell of a lot filming loads of stuff, ahhh...good times.

As for the scrap book type thing, I have a box of bits and pieces that I saved from uni, just random stuff...like:

*the campus newspaper after CKY played a notorious gig at our LCR (event hall)
    *the carrier bag from some fancy-arse clothes shop that one of my female housemates took me to to get some clothes (£70 on 2 t-shirts and a hoody, geeeeeez!)
    *my Bus Pass, complete with snazzy plastic wallet holder so you can "Agent Mulder, FBI" the bus driver ... before you say "jizz" as it sounds like a mumbled "thanks" on the way off, lol ... tricksters.
    *the original 'pack' of medical forms I was supposed to fill in and take to the medical centre to 'sign up' in Norwich ... I never did, and was pestered for 3 years, I never signed up, haha! Oh yeah - the pack included a little plastic thingy to piss in to provide a sample ... never used it ... so it'll make a good prop some day.

A whole bunch of stuff, just random little things from my time at uni, just gathered them into a box.

Administrator

England
    This generation has a lot digital photos of them as the technology is easy/portable enough to be of no burden.

The next generation will have video footage. Mobile phones are getting reasonably good at taking video footage (still a little way to go), and now even small camera's take remarkably good video footage.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan