Thread: US greenlights GM Rice with human breast milk DNA embedded

United States

US greenlights GM Rice with human breast milk DNA embedded

It's bad enough scientists are breaking the species barrier by putting human DNA into plants. But one designed for human consumption?

http://www.theregister.com/2007/03/06/rice_humans/

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    so itll be cornstalks that have racks and spit at you?

that may have some positive resulsts for third world countrys but imagine trying to sell the idea to the guy in charge of the lab first?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    that may have some positive resulsts for third world countrys but imagine trying to sell the idea to the guy in charge of the lab first?
    They probally would buy it....I wouldnt think they have an eew factor because they understand they are just giving the rice different protein coding DNA...protein from DNA that we know is edible....

Id eat genetically altered food in a heartbeat as long as it passed all saftey tests....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

England
    Its pretty weird the things they are doing these days,i dont object to it all but all this chimera style stuff is creepy,who knows what kind of freaky things have been created in secret labs!

United States

Bovine growth hormone ...

A genetic engineering to make cows produce more milk ; widely used in the US and not in Europe . They don't know the long term affects (on humans) of this , only in the short term causes health problems for the cows . The cost of this may be in the long run .
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Undisclosed
    Yeah I so desperately wanted to be creating stuff in those secret labs.....

Thats why I got a Bachelors in biology because I wanted to pursue a doctorate in some specialization that would allow me to do "frankenstein" work.....*sigh*....
    I slowly realized though those type of jobs where you decide what actually gets researched and created are like winning the lottery and usually the recipients of those positions have a lot of family in friends already in the field.

So now Im going to go back and get another bachelors in computer science.
    damn life sucks!

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    Why is this rice making me so horny?
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Because its sequenced from your mom!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    your moms sequenced from your mom.

AAAHHH!, NOW THERE CLONING PEOPLE!

capncnut
    And Liberace was sequinsed from his mom.

Banned User

United States
    I live in Kansas so I am curious if it will be grown anywhere near me? The whole thing sounds a tad creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    so itll be cornstalks that have racks and spit at you?

I can see some hillybilly redneck out in the fields humping a corn stalk. LOL
    Last edited by HLS; 07-Mar-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Because its sequenced from your mom!
    Oh snap!

actually
    **shiver***
    ugh.
    My Moms a saint and Im going to kick your ass!
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers