Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 game recommendations for MZ...

Super Moderator

UK

360 game recommendations for MZ...

What's shakin' folks...

Anyway, like some of you will no doubt most definitely know from my constant talking about it, I'm eyeing up a 360 for my b-day, and I was wondering if there are any particular game recommendations? The sort of game on the 360 I'm looking into is:

GTA4
    Alan Wake
    Gears of War
    PGR3
    Saints Row

Any experiences with these games, or other recommendations that suit my sensibilities?

ViP

United States
    Dead Rising should be a no brainer

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one - I'll blates get that sooner or later.

Any other ideas folks, or experiences of the games in the list (save for those that ain't out yet of course) or other games you folk might possibly recommend?

United States
    Gears of War is, in my opinion, the best game for the system. Others to look in to:

Crackdown: Extremely fun GTA-sandbox game. Imagine The Hulk and Robocop mixed together, and thats pretty much what this game is. You play as a superpowerd cop taking out bad guys. It is a bit short though, and the main reason lots of people bought it was for the invitation to the Halo 3 beta. But, nevertheless, its a great game on its own. Saints Row follows the GTA mold a bit more closely, if thats what you're looking for.

Forza Motorsport II: Many say its predecessor was better than Gran Turismo 4, I was one of them. It will probably be the best racer on 360. I believe it comes out in May. You can buy Project Gotham Racing 3 for cheap to hold you over till this one comes out.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter II: I played it at a friends house recently, and it improves upon the first game in every way. Its a pretty realistic skermish sim, so a couple shots and you're dead. It's still damn fun though.

Are you in to RPGs at all? You should check out Oblivion, its an adventure game with a great feeling of freedom. You can just walk around the woods, finding treasures and fighting goblins. Best RPG of last year, in my opinion.

Then yeah, Dead Rising obviously.

Undisclosed
    Are you into sports games or beat'em ups?

capncnut
    How could you forget Dead Rising MZ?

Condemned was darn creepy, might be worth a look.
    Lost Planet is quite solid, awesome battles.
    Rainbox Six Vegas, what can I say?
    Fight Night, if you like boxing.
    Definitely Forza 2 'cos it'll knock the granny out of PGR3.
    Oblivion should be investigated, so epic.

As for the up and coming titles, I would add:

Mass Effect
    Half Life 2 (it'll destroy the PC version)
    Possession
    Bioshock
    Clive Barker's Jericho
    oh and Resident Evil 5

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    gears of war, turns out it aint just talk it really is good.
    bioshock
    alone in the dark, maybe
    half life 2, with all 3 eps plus extras
    resi 5
    silent hill 2 thru 5 ,in case you aint played em yet

dead rising, while fun at last, does get REEEAAAAAAL boring, i loved it at first but man, i got rid of it with only about 60% of the achievemnts purely becuase it got SO boring plus the sotry is real cliche' straight to dvd movie type stuff, if you really wanna kill zombies i can recommend it, but its got real difficult time conservation constraints and the extras and unlockables suck *shrugs*, though thats just me.

capncnut
    Yeah, Dead Rising does lose it's fizz after a while but methinks MZ will spooge over it. I kept it 'cos I like the layout of the mall and I enjoy doing my own thang from time to time.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think I'll grab Dead Rising when it's on an offer or something then...

HL2, with all three episodes? Ep 2 isn't even finished, they haven't even got Ep 3 started yet, doi...

Besides, I have HL2 and Ep 1 for the holy spoodge grail - the PC.

Games like Silent Hill and Resi, while I like the look of them, I don't like playing them. I remember trying to play Resi: Veronica (or whatever) on Dreamcast, it got lame and boring, and not because it was a sequel, but just because I don't like to play that style of game.

Gears of War, PGR3, Dead Rising, Saints Row ... methinks these will be the ones I'll be looking out for, one or two of them like, from the off ... then get some pre-ordering go-an-on.

England
    Its definately a PC upgrade rather than going down the console route for me this year!i was going to upgrade now but i think il struggle on a few months longer while vista settles & DX10 graphics cards get mainstream (and cheaper)
    Might get a console before xmas though!

Super Moderator

UK
    If I could afford a PC upgrade, I would do it (and get a 360 regardless), but I've been out of the console game for so long I wanna dip my toes in again and do without the worry of "will this play on my rig" for a while, then when I've acquired a stable financial situation (far from that at the moment) then I'll spoodge out for a tip-top gaming beast for the next-next-gen.

And then I'll catch up on a bunch of games I'll have missed somewhere in between now and then, like FPS type games that I'd rather not play on the 360, unless they release a plug in keyboard 'n' mouse that you can slip in where the joypad usually goes...now that's be sweet.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    HL2, with all three episodes? Ep 2 isn't even finished, they haven't even got Ep 3 started yet, doi...

Besides, I have HL2 and Ep 1 for the holy spoodge grail - the PC.
    Basically it's Half Life 2 with souped up graphics and textures, Episodes 1 & 2, a mini game called Portal and the Team Fortress package. The first Xbox version clearly couldn't handle the game (even though it was a top attempt) but this one will be an upgrade of the PC version and more.

I thought Half Life 2 handled extremely well on the Xbox, don't know about anyone else?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    oh yeah, it was excellent. one of , if not the greatest fps games on the origional xbox, the only competitors are maybe halo 2 and black.

Super Moderator

UK
    Halo 2 can suck a f*ck in comparison to Half Life 2, and Black seems more about just blowing sh*t up only on a damn console, when it's blatantly a game for the PC in spirit.

The problem with the original Xbox is that it couldn't achieve the resolutions you can on a PC (which is still ahead of consoles in the resolution department on the higher specs). I play HL2 on 1280x1024 resolution, and it looks marvellous, even 2 and a half years after it came out. It looks even better with HDR fluctuating it's illuminated goodness all over the shop too.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The problem with the original Xbox is that it couldn't achieve the resolutions you can on a PC (which is still ahead of consoles in the resolution department on the higher specs). I play HL2 on 1280x1024 resolution, and it looks marvellous, even 2 and a half years after it came out.
    Who cares about that s**t, the 360 will exceed the PC's graphics for another year.