Thread: Archive of Info on DEADLANDS

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Thumbs up Archive of Info on DEADLANDS

Comments:

I have begun structuring the DVD for the film. I have chose to runs a collage of zombie attacks as the background menu along with radio blurbs and character dialogue.

We start filming again in about 15 days and I have to say I am actually nervous because this time I will be both in front and behind the camera, so I am a little concerned.

TITLE of the film...

The title has never sat well with me. Everyone except me involved in the production of DEADLANDS loves the title, I am seriously considering changing it before I release it on the film festival circuit.

DVD Details

Well here is some of the stuff you can look forward to as far as the DVD package goes.

Disc 1
    Feature Film 2.35:1 Widescreen
    Feature Film with cast & crew commentary 1.85:1 Widescreen

Disc 2
    2 Behind the scenes featurettes
    Photo Gallery
    Trailers

Disc 3 (Audio CD)
    DEADLANDS - The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    A cd with all the music within the film. Not only have I served as an Actor, Writer, Editor, and Director... I took on the job of composer for the score. Additional Music will be from local bands like MereEdge and Bak Alley.

Everyone is wondering the price... Probably $15.00-$20.00 - sorry no free VCD's.

History of the film.... sort of

February 2006

It has been a while since I last updated anyone on my project so I thought I would fill you guys in with what is going on.

With winter rapidly coming to an end and warmer temperatures arriving we will will resume shooting. I spent a good portion of the winter months editing and tweaking shot footage and I have a working edit in progress on my PC at home. The film will cover a timeline of 3 months, with 7/8th of the film taking place within a 17 hour time span.

March 10th we resume shooting and the first night we have 15 set ups to do and only 6 hours to do it in. With most of the major filmming out of the way (traffic jam and some zombie attacks) we can concentrate on the more dramatic moments of the story. We do have a few more zombie attacks to film, but it won't be Romero style zombie gore until near the end of the film.

Don't let all the talk of drama fool you, I am going for a more action driven zombie flick with some human zombie combat. However the more I film the more the flick gets better.

Since I have been editing I have noticed a major change in my style of directing. For those that have seen the 7 min short version will be surprised to see the change in look. Since getting Thomas Fant as my DP the look of the story as lighting goes is much better, but it does make a challenge in editing because the previous DP didn't do a lot of lighting, nor did we use as powerful a camera as we are now.

Here is list of cameras used on the project.

Panasonic DVX100
    Canon GL1
    Sony VX 2000 and 2100
    Canon Opturas

5 different cameras so you will see five different looks. It may be a bit distracting at times, but now that I know what the hell I am doing I can concentrate on making it better.

For those looking to film a project. I highly recommend shooting interlaced and using a program like Magic bullet to acheive the final film look. I initially shot in frame mode, then my first DP told me to use Interlaced then use the 2-3-3-2 pulldown in Vegas to acheive the film look... well it didn't work and it still looked very video to me. Now with Magic bullet and the No.85 or EPIC setting I have acheived exactly what i wanted and I will finish the project in Interlaced. However to let you know if you shoot frame mode and interlaced it will be very hard to match footage in post.

We expect to have a full completed edit by August 2006. I am going to submit the longer version to some film festivals and I am also going to submit the project to the MPAA for rating. We are aiming for an NC-17. If accepted to the film festivals it should be making it s world premiere in October 2006 (Fingers crossed).

The running time is something still up in the air. All though we are aiming for 90 minutes it is looking like 60-70 minutes will be the final running time, but ya never know until the final edit is complete.

One last thing I am need is someone who is good at digital compositing. Anyone who thinks they can do this, or anytime of WMV/QT animation please PM. I need someone to animate the production company logo.

Anyway, thats it for now. I will keep you guys posted more once we get closer to finishing.

OCTOBER 2005

Well as you all know I showed a clip from DEADLANDS at Camm Shalom in Baltimore Monday October 3rd 2005. While I was surprised by the audiences response I did take some of their suggestions into consideration.

I made a few edits to some scenes and changed the look a bit in some areas. Just so you know what to expect here are the types of camera's used to film DEADLANDS.

Canon GL1
    Sony VX-2000
    Canon Optura (1 Chip Camera * See below)

* This camera was a camera used by my Camera b Operator and is a 1 CCD chip camera. Not one of the greatest cameras but not a total piece of **** either. Some of the scenes in DEADLANDS were filmed and edited from footage shot with the optura, and you will notice the difference when you look at the grain and overall look.

Some have made comments that the change in look, lighting, and color makes the short that much more interesting. I will let you all be the judge.

NOW A SMALL WARNING!

There is one scene in this clip that is way over the top. On our last huge shooting weekend my 2nd unit director did some filler shots for me. I did make it clear to him the tone of the film, but I guess he couldn't resist throwing some cheese in there. What sucks is the scene is needed and I am not able to re-record the dialogue and make it match, and I sure as hell cannot afford to reshoot the scene.

One of my characters arrives at the rescue station and begins to look for her parents, and when she cannot find them she was supposed to deliver a very simple line. The line was supposed to be "What am I going to do now" which is in reference to not being able to locate them. After seeing the cut footage I inquired as to why it came off so horrible, and she told me Bruce my 2nd unit guy said to over do it a tad. I was dumbfounded by this, but it did get a good laugh at Camm Shalom Monday night... So as cheesy as it is, I am gonna leave it in.

So without anymore rambling from me... I present the 7 min CLIP

http://www.playingwithdeadthings.com/TheMovie

Feedback would be appreciated!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Question, you can be honest with me, I won't tell. Did you 'really' pay $795 for that "Magic Bullet" plug-in? And if so, what was it for? I understand it is for Final Cut Pro, but is it for Adobe Premiere Pro as well or as a stand-alone program?

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg
    Question, you can be honest with me, I won't tell. Did you 'really' pay $795 for that "Magic Bullet" plug-in? And if so, what was it for? I understand it is for Final Cut Pro, but is it for Adobe Premiere Pro as well or as a stand-alone program?

Dawg

It is for Sony Vegas.

I hate Adobe Premiere, and don't have the time to learn FCP. I will be totally honest... I would never pay $795 for a plug-in. No plug-in is that good to warrant an $800 price tag. I originally had a trial of Sony Vegas, then a cracked version and I liked it so much I bought VEGAS.

VEGAS is the only software I will ever use to edit on until something better comes along. No for Audio, I use Adobe Audition. This is by far the superior audio editor on the market.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*