Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest remake news... "Call me Snake!"

Super Moderator

United States
    Good going, Bassman! You had to go making fun of Snake's camo tights the other day and now, suddenly Hollywood decides this movie needs to be updated.

Coincidence?

By the way, I agree. I like Olyphant in some roles, but as Plissken? Then again, going with a non-carbon copy direction might be nice if their going to bother. Well, let's just hope it doesn't happen.

PS--use of the word 'suddenly' in the 2nd sentence of my post is purely for hyperbole.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 24-Jun-2010 at 06:35 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It should really come as no surprise, but all these years later and they’re still trying to remake Carpenter’s Escape From New York. Now they’ve hired Hollywood’s current “it” man, Leigh Whannell(Saw), after the success of his latest film, Upgrade.

He’s recently been linked to tons of new projects, but I have to admit that I have faith in his fandom and the possibility of making a decent remake. I’d rather there be NO remake, but seeing as that’s not an option, I do feel like he’s a good candidate.

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/lei...-from-new-york
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Feb-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I've heard good things about "Upgrade", and Whannell has good writing chops in genre fare, so good luck to him.

This all said, I'd much rather this happen: make a re-quel (a sequel that reboots the franchise) starring Wyatt Russell (Kurt Russell's real-life son) as Snake Plissken's son. You could even have Kurt turn up at some point and lend a hand in a way only Snake knows how. You keep the previous films as they are and in-continuity, you can have an actual father/son relationship bleed over into the film itself, and it'd be kinda cool as an idea.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ That’s an interesting idea. I didn’t realize Russell had a son in the business, as well. Seeing as Hollywood is starting to realize that full-blown remakes aren’t as well received as sequel/reboots, I could see something along those lines actually happening.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've heard good things about "Upgrade", and Whannell has good writing chops in genre fare, so good luck to him.

This all said, I'd much rather this happen: make a re-quel (a sequel that reboots the franchise) starring Wyatt Russell (Kurt Russell's real-life son) as Snake Plissken's son. You could even have Kurt turn up at some point and lend a hand in a way only Snake knows how. You keep the previous films as they are and in-continuity, you can have an actual father/son relationship bleed over into the film itself, and it'd be kinda cool as an idea.
    I see some of Kurt Russell in there... But not snake?!!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh wow, I’ve seen him in a few things but didn’t know he was Russell’s son! He was really great in a recent episode of Black Mirror!

Rising

United States
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑ He's in that pretty interesting new AMC comedy/drama show with alchemical overtones, Lodge 49, where he plays a "Big Lebowski" type character. He's good for that type of role, but I doubt he would make a good "Snake Plissken" type.

Re-making Escape From New York is a terrible idea. Almost as bad as trying to remake John Carpenter's The Thing. Some movies achieve a "perfection" of their own and simply cannot be improved upon, no matter what you try. Therefore they should be left "as is" for posterity, with no other "versions" around.
    Last edited by JDP; 02-Feb-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, remaking EFNY would be a shite idea. However, if they insist on doing another one, I'd think a 're-quel' would be a nifty idea.

Wyatt has range, though, I think I first saw him in 22 Jump Street where he plays a lovable doofus jock, then I saw him in Cold In July where he plays an absolute nutjob scumbag who makes snuff movies, then in Black Mirror he was more of an ordinary bloke in an extraordinary scenario. So I think he could totally pull it off - he wouldn't be Snake in a re-quel, rather Son of Snake ... ... Snakelet. But seriously, I think that'd be a pretty sweet idea and it could even follow along from EFLA's 'lights out' ending +25 years, say. Perhaps Snake's decision caused a lot of trouble and resulted in an even more authoritarian Presidential regime. Perhaps Snake's son, under new legislation, was deemed 'criminal by association' and has been slammed up in some new fancy prison so this time it's a break out story rather than a break-in?

Of course, we can jibber jabber all we like, Whannell will write what Whannell likes.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-Feb-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I like the idea! Especially now that I know who is son is. He has a “likable vibe” to him like his dad.

After seeing the recent Netflix film, The Christmas Chronicles, in which Kurt still has his long hair, and of course a big beard, I could totally see him still doing a sequel to the original series. Of course I don’t know if they should give his character too many stunts, but if they could work out a solid story with a good supporting cast to go on the adventure with him.....I’d be there with bells on! Or more fitting, with my skin-tight camo pants!
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Feb-2019 at 01:35 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I like the idea! Especially now that I know who is son is. He has a “likable vibe” to him like his dad.

After seeing the recent Netflix film, The Christmas Chronicles, in which Kurt still has his long hair, and of course a big beard, I could totally see him still doing a sequel to the original series. Of course I don’t know if they should give his character too many stunts, but if they could work out a solid story with a good supporting cast to go on the adventure with him.....I’d be there with bells on! Or more fitting, with my skin-tight camo pants!
    As long as they don't let Carpenter very near it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    They're just going to make a balls of this.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....