Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered my replacement Camera

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hey, now we can talk all nerdy about the DVX back and forth to one another trading settings and such, lol...

It'd be good if the DVX allowed you to do stop-motion frame-by-frame type animation, that's the only thing I miss with it, but it's not something I have much call to use, so it doesn't matter, hehe.

Damn it's a sexy camera.

So what does this lens you're getting soon do exactly anyway? Bearing in mind I'm a bit of a technological dimwit, so keep it simple, sexy.
    That Lens converts the 4:3 image to true 16:9. The DVX100 (all models) are native 4:3 cameras. Yes they have letterbox, but it is 4:3 letterbox. They also have a squeeze mode, but I don't like anything simulated I want a true 16:9 anamorphic adapter.

As far as trading settings... I am all for that, but I usually leave that up to whomever is DP-ing my film. But if you want to send me some of your settings in email I will try them out. I was thginking of taking up photography so I could DP everything on my own.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll dig out the settings I have written down somewhere that I used on IAZM2 ... that's about all I've done so far, haha!

I've been going nuts over this Magic Bullet thing though, I'm currently rendering out stock footage (from DVDs the director bought specifically, the footage can be used for anything with no worries too ... so I'll be nabbing myself the footage too, haha), which I've tweaked in Magic Bullet, for a project I'm working on, it really makes the stuff POP!

DVX100B + Magic Bullet = happy finish

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I am gonna check with the Cinema that is playing deadlands if I can bring the camera down and do some testing with it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I am gonna check with the Cinema that is playing deadlands if I can bring the camera down and do some testing with it.
    Or, I could rent two hookers and we could shoot that "next movie" we keep talking about.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That is the movie YOU have been talking about.

Although we could find out just how good these extra image controls are... maybe instead of just seeing the pimple we can see the root of the zit.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Although we could find out just how good these extra image controls are... maybe instead of just seeing the pimple we can see the root of the zit.
    That was wrong on so many levels, I just... I dunno what to say.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    OH NO! The world has come to an End. I have said something so shocking Lou is at a loss for words. Say it isn't So!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Even I didn't find the ass-pimple suggestion that gross ... I've seen plenty hitting the camera on the internet already ... but damn ... mind you, I grossed out Lou with all my talk of poo units and taking a mean dump.

United States
    not to mention "bloated-mouth-sex"

...and it wasn't just a "zit" he was referring to.. he said maybe we could see the "root of the zit"

Hey, Dj!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 20-Mar-2007 at 09:51 PM.

United States
    I was thginking of taking up photography so I could DP everything on my own.
    Nothing could be easier with todays cameras; I own the DVX100 as well (Ill trade up one day for HD, but not today)

DP'ing yourself is simple enough. What's holding you back ?

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed, you have so much more control and it's easier to communicate your vision if you're doing it first hand ... I'm not dissing DP's, as they're definitely necessary, but there's an upside to DP'ing yourself, of course, it does mean more work ... but whatever suits.

United States
    I had a DP once a couple of shorts ago shooting HD on the HVX200 and went into post and just was left jaw dropped at how many shots did not just go as I wanted/planned/asked ...

Never again (unless it's Janusz ). I'm going RR style.

Super Moderator

UK
    That is an upside of doing it yourself, if you don't quite get what you want, you've only yourself to blame, so there's no arguments to be had. You also can go without communicating, for the most part anyway, what you're looking for in a shot.

Mind you, a cinematographer/DP can come in real handy when you're working with someone who doesn't have the visual eye, but knows what sort of thing they want. I'm currently acting as cinematographer on a documentary that's being produced locally (looking to get it finished by the end of May), and the director isn't a filmmaker by trade, but he's telling a story he wants to be told, and he just conveys a rough idea of what he wants, or says 'like that thing you did in [insert film name]', so that works quite well, as I have quite a lot of freedom and I'm giving him the images he wants.

It's quite nice, on a personal level, really boosts your confidence and such, when the director is really chuffed with the imagery, as well as his editor, who complimented me on my shots ... which was nice.

Little "Fast Show" reference for ya there, goin' old school.