Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: danny's 2 for a quid movie review

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

danny's 2 for a quid movie review

i just back from gamestation and bought 2 dvds from there 2 for a quid deal, which i highly recommend looking em up, so i thought id bitch about the two movies i got, which would be land of the dead ,direcotrs cut and a rental copy of freddy vs jason, i just finished watching em so there fresh im my mind, and who doesnt love a good review that'sbasically jsut one mans bitching abotun a movie, hell that pretty much aint it cool's entire angle.

freddy vs jason: i only got this cus i was there late in the day and it was either this or a steven seagal film, and i dont care if he's "here to save the world" his movies are atricious, so hence picking up fvj.
    i never whent to see this in the cinema for two reasons, number one i was allwasy a halloween guy myself, number 2, i thought it was piece of crap mtv generation load of crap that would be an hour and a half of metal music and more dream killings. and dont get me wrong ,it is, but in a suprisingly good way.
    bascially, since the last installment of the nightmare series made the rounds the people of the town erased freddy krueger from the towns records and there memory so without living in fear of him he cannot attack people in there dreams. so without fear freddy cant come back, but during his time in hell he discovered jason vorhess.....somehow, and in jasons dreams acted like his mother telling him to head to elm street and kill some kids ,make them think its him so he can gain power from there fear and return once more.
    but ,of course, jason doesnt want to stop killing so thats were they turn on each other. que the metal music and a stabbing montage.
    and of course theres a series of murders till the group of teens get whats going on and try to kill them, though theres some mythology thing they try to add in about freddy diying in fire and jason in water but its only vaguley played upon in any sort of form.
    though to be honest i didnt expect to see a emotional roller coaster on the same level as brain dead
    whilst the story is nothing spectacular i was not bored for a second and i eally enjoyed it, if you go into this movie looking for a fun way to spend an half hour you'll really enjoy it, if your expecting something with...i guess the words integrity your looking in the wrong place.

id give it a 7/10

next up one i saw twice in the cinema and hadnt seen it since then and most people aint too big fans of it on here, someone on the forum even shambled in it, in talking about land of the dead.

land of the dead:i saw this a few times in the cinema but i was really put off that i read the script and there were a few choice scenes like the hanged man, that rocked on paper but werent in the film, and that really let it down for me in some way, which i guess just teaches you to never read the script first.
    but for 50p ,and romeros cut i figured it was worth checking out one more time on DVD, so i did.
    i dont think i really need to describe this plotline but for those whove lived under a rock since 2005 this is about a few years after dawn of the dead, aint too sure how it fits in with day myself, but does it really matter?, all you gotta know is that the dead have still been rising to feast on the living ,but like bub theyve gotten smarter and aint to happy with the riaders of fiddlers green killing them when they raid the ghost towns surrounding the green, while a battle occurs in the green as the low down public are shunned on the streets as the rich live in a skyscraper in the lap of luxury.
    with trouble inside and out its only so long before it all breaks down and a bloodbath ensues.
    i loved the opening , the sight of the zombies trying to regain there lives and live again in some sort of caricature of there previous lives and its typical george romero fair from the off "there pretending to be alive", "isnt that what were doing?, trying to be alive".
    the script writing was great, i loved seeing the hanged man scene, though i would have loved to have seen the zombie rats, but compared to the amount of crap on the horror channel it as some top notch scripting, though its the editing were romero really shines adn certain shots like the camera panning as torchlight showing only minor glimpses at a much larger gory scene , since gore is often overdone romero seemed to give a good balance between gore and action and social commentary, it did drag a little however i enjoyed seeing the zombies play out in a new and interesting way, and i dont think big daddy was anywere near as bad as jarjar binks.
    its an interesting film, that i wouldnt rank as high as shaun fo the dead but better than the dawn remake, cus 80's a team montages and jurassic park style hissing coming from the zombeis does not make a good zombie film.

ill give this 8/10 deifnatly worth checking out.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think you're being to generous with both films.

FvJ 5 out of 10
    LotD 1 out of 10 (maybe a 2)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    trust me when you study film it doesnt mean you get to see a lot more good movies, more often than not just more obscure ones, most of which suck balls.
    so its nice just to appreciate a film for being netertaining, easily one of my favouite freddy movies, i mean when he was in the fat boys video, that was kinda a sign they shouldve let him drop but he wasnt bad in this one.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I think you're being to generous with both films.
    I thought the same thing. Freddy Vs Jason I'd give about a 2 and Land gets a more than generous 5.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    trust me when you study film it doesnt mean you get to see a lot more good movies, more often than not just more obscure ones, most of which suck balls.
    so its nice just to appreciate a film for being netertaining, easily one of my favouite freddy movies, i mean when he was in the fat boys video, that was kinda a sign they shouldve let him drop but he wasnt bad in this one.
    I like Bergman and trufault and all that stuff. Bicycle theif.
    You wanna be Scorsese or HG Lewis?

Though knowing exactly why something sucks is very important.

I had to write an essay on the Searchers, a John Wayne Movie. John Ford may be a great director but I friggin hate John wayne

Fat Boyyyyyys!
    Brrr Stick em. Ha ha ha Stick em!
    Woot Woot'

All the freddy movies suck. Jason may be stupid but he's at least not lame. (that barely makes sense)
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    no good sir that makes total sense, freddy sucks, simple as.

Super Moderator

UK
    Freddy VS Jason was 100% penis, Land I loved, so I'll give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Freddy vs. Jason was pretty ****ty, yeah. Land was great, tho.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I saw about 30-45 minutes worth of "Freddy Vs Jason" and that was only because a buddy and I were having a good time playing MST3K with it. The film looked like total crap. But like I said...I didn't see the whole thing.

Of course just about everyone here knows my stance on "Land of the Dead". Not as good as the originals, a good film on it's own, and way better than any zed movie in the last decade.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    dude what about shaun, love it or hate it, y'cant say that was a bad zombie movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    dude what about shaun, love it or hate it, y'cant say that was a bad zombie movie.
    Let's see ... Capn hates Shaun (still confused by that), otherwise I don't remember anyone else spitting SOTD's milky nipple out of their mouths in disgust...

capncnut
    Shaun is immitation. Land is authentic. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Let's see ... Capn hates Shaun (still confused by that), otherwise I don't remember anyone else spitting SOTD's milky nipple out of their mouths in disgust.
    I know loads of people that would be more than happy to tear the arse out of Shaun. Everyone prattles about how funny it is and that it's a 'classic comedy'. Other than the one word 'Cornetto', tell me what is so f**king funny about it? (Pesci moment)

It's like Spaced with zombies and I'm sorry, I thought Spaced had about as much charm as a Halitosis kiss. No offense.
    Last edited by capncnut; 22-Mar-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Spaced and Shaun were awesome, nuff said, among a myriad of reasons why they rock, they've got heart.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I guess I should've said it's the best straight up zed film. I love "Shaun", but I wouldn't rank it in with normal zed flicks. Just as my poster says....."It's a comedy......with zombies". Not the other way around.

Capn....you should have your head examined. "Shaun" and "Spaced" are friggin great. Americans are STILL waiting to see "Hot Fuzz". Everyone has their own opinion and all....but what the f*ck is wrong with you?

To quote the speed dating chick in "40 Year Old Virgin"....."Are you f*ckin retarded?!?!?"

Super Moderator

UK
    lol ... Americans having to wait for Hot Fuzz? Ooooooh ... sick burn.

How's it feel having the shoe on the other foot ... or something to that effect? Now you know how us Brits feel waiting for 99% of films, for instance, Land of the Dead - aside from the countries than banned the film, Britain was the LAST place on the freakin' planet to get it ... can you believe that shiite?

Still, it meant that 3 weeks after seeing it on opening night I had the DVD in my grubby mits.