Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you hear about the Pet food recall?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    hey my dog's 15 years old, only 3 years younger than me, so i can tell you it aint that surprising to see dogs and cats as family, i cant stand the bastards that buy a dog then leave it out all year round in a kennel surrounded by wire, that aint a life for an animal.
    I know exactly what you mean that is why I dont have any outside dogs,my Angel was so spoiled (shh u didnt hear that from me) she was my shadow, where I went she went, if I went to store she went with me, I called her my byebye doggie, that is why it hurts so bad to lose her! I am so glad she died in my arms and that I didnt have to have her put down! This little friend of mine got me thru alot of sad things in my life and alot of bad things, she was always there to help me get thru it all!! Mans best friend and Womans best friend!!!

Spain
    15 years old your dog?. It's a very old dog!. It is very good cared, then...
    Debbie, my wife Ana hopes that you are good. Greetings from her!.

United States
    The latest list of affected pet foods includes:

Alpo prime cuts in gravy
    Hill's pet nutrition prescription diet feline - dry

Also listed are several treats and snacks made by the Pittsburgh-based division of Del Monte.

First, the recall was for wet foods only, but now it includes some dry food and treats.

The list is expanding so quickly that some are now reluctant to feed their pets anything off the shelves

Now on the recall list are Del Monte treats that include jerky, gravy train beef sticks and pounce meaty morsels, plus other company products sold under private labels like 'Ol Roy, Dollar General and Happy Tails.

The voluntary recall came after Del Monte learned that those items also contained the same wheat gluten from China that was contaminated with the dangerous chemical melamine.
    (Some people are starting to make their own pet food the article on my local news also said this)

"It would be a safe thing," said Myton. "You really have to research it though, because you're going to have to put them on a vitamin mineral supplement if you're going to put them on a homemade diet."

Experts recommend that any homemade dog food be 40 percent meat, 30 percent vegetable and 30 percent starch.

The process can be expensive, but some said not nearly as costly as treating a sick pet for what is still largely a mystery.

Myton also recommends what's known as organic pet food, which is free of many additives.

It too is expensive, but it's made under strict regulations.

This is getting really scarey...what are we supposed to do that have cats and dogs? Around here they are saying to just give your dogs and cats table food!
    I just wanted to tell you guys an update on the recall that is happening!
    Hey if anybody knows anymore please let me know!

United States

Pets or Meat ...

Debbie I am so sorry about your friend ... Rodger & Me (film by Micheal Moore) had a part when he interviewed a woman that was selling rabbits as " Pets or Meat "(has nothing to do with this at all ) . Elderly folk that dont know about this could be giving Fido a dish of death ... It freaks me out to think that the so-called (man made) food chain is linked with disease , killing little household buddies .
    Pets turned to Zeds ... "Night of the Living Dead-Pets" . Sorry , I have a black sense of off color humor . Oh sorry , Pet Semetary ... duh .
    Please accept my sincere sympathy for your loss Debbie ...
    Last edited by DVW5150; 02-Apr-2007 at 10:27 PM.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Undisclosed
    http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html

And be sure to read because only certain date code stamped cans of Purina Choice cuts in gravy are recalled. The news said the list is going to expand, though.

United Kingdom
    Sorry for your loss Debbie, this is really terrible who would want to hurt animals, this is the first I have heard of this and I truely feel for everyone overseas who have pets cos I know how much we love em as part of the family

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    Debbie I am so sorry about your friend ... Rodger & Me (film by Micheal Moore) had a part when he interviewed a woman that was selling rabbits as " Pets or Meat "(has nothing to do with this at all ) . Elderly folk that dont know about this could be giving Fido a dish of death ... It freaks me out to think that the so-called (man made) food chain is linked with disease , killing little household buddies .
    Pets turned to Zeds ... "Night of the Living Dead-Pets" . Sorry , I have a black sense of off color humor . Oh sorry , Pet Semetary ... duh .
    Please accept my sincere sympathy for your loss Debbie ...
    Thanks, she will be missed she was a good dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Sorry for your loss Debbie, this is really terrible who would want to hurt animals, this is the first I have heard of this and I truely feel for everyone overseas who have pets cos I know how much we love em as part of the family
    Thank you Yorkie...she was 11 yrs old we found out when we had our other dog which is crippled at vet last week that she had brain tumor. Vet said from symptoms that I described that it HAD to be, she sure wasnt herself these past few months now that I look back on it. But, with a brain tumor nothing could have been done but what I did do was to love her and pamper like I always did...I can finally admit..yes, I spoiled her! lol
    I would never admit that before I just said she was a happy puppy! lol
    I just wonder what is going on with all pet food it is soo scarey, its a shame I know how I feel losing my dog, what about all these kids that love their pets?
    They have had how many weeks to figure this out? Why cant they clean out their factories and start over? I mean they are going to operate at a huge loss as it is now with people not buying their products (petfoods companies involved)! Ok done with my rant! lol
    This is so scarey cause around here they say to feed your animals people food! EXPENSIVE!
    Last edited by Debbieangel; 03-Apr-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

capncnut
    Glad you're feeling better now Deb.