Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: STALKER - Reviews

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I'm running the game on the following:

CPU: AMD64 socket 939 FX-60 dual core (overclocked to 2.6ghz by pushing the FSB)
    RAM: 1GB Patriot high-speed RAM (overclocked also.. )
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe
    Video Card: nVidia 7900GS PCIe (overclocked to 'ludacris speed' )
    240gb of HD storage (7200rpm drives)

and with those specs (which aren't bad, but not top of the line either) there were parts of the game that slowed my machine to a crawl. I think an extra gig of RAM would help, but still not solve all the problems.
    Wonder what it would be like on my:-
    P4 3Ghz@3.2
    ATI XT800 overclocked
    2Gb ram

That's a lower spec' than yours ain't it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Ive been holding off on a new rig for a while now seen as the dust was kicked up with windows vista & DX10,but i think the time has now come to bend the plastic & make the leap for stalker and a host of other new games!
    Im looking at this one http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcrange.html?EXE

or this one

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy...tra900.asp?v=d

If i could i'd spend a bit more,but seen as il be putting it on credit i best stay within sensible price as i dont really like using credit,but hopefully without losing out on much power!

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... I played the MP Beta Demo on my rig, which is definitely "minimum specs" for this game, and it ran quite well, some lag on some parts, but certainly no crawl ... it wasn't standard lag either, almost like a slower refresh rate to the image ... if that makes any sense.

Obviously I had to dial the graphics down a bit for it in some respects, but they weren't crash-bottom either ... besides, STALKER apparently has the ability to be jigged about a lot in the settings, and can go all the way down to DirectX 8, perhaps even 7, can't remember. But I'm rocking 9.0c ... so I think I'll be fine for STALKER (I F*CKING WELL HOPE SO OR I'M GOING POSTAL ON YOU ALL!!! ... unless you all buy me a monster gaming rig...then I'll just flick you or pinch you on the arm... ) ... and I'll be fine for the coming final episodes of HL2, the only thing that slowed me down there was the HDR lighting, and even then I still played through Ep1 twice with it enabled, so it wasn't all bad - I've played at worse levels of speed (e.g. Max Payne 2 on my laptop back in the day, lol ... oh that wasn't good ).

See, a new gaming rig - too expensive for me, I'd have to overhaul my existing PC, but I'd rather spend less and get a console and not have to worry about upgrading ... in a few years, at most when Xbox360 etc are being replaced, then I'll get jiggy with the PC again ... and take a step back in time with all the games I'll probably end up skipping on, and be able to rock all their cocks at full speed, haha!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Ive been holding off on a new rig for a while now seen as the dust was kicked up with windows vista & DX10,but i think the time has now come to bend the plastic & make the leap for stalker and a host of other new games!
    Im looking at this one http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcrange.html?EXE

or this one

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy...tra900.asp?v=d

If i could i'd spend a bit more,but seen as il be putting it on credit i best stay within sensible price as i dont really like using credit,but hopefully without losing out on much power!
    £1000 gets you a damn good system these days! Intel is the processor to get at the moment though if you can by the looks of it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    In the past ive always built my own system from scratch,bought a few components a month and put it all together once i had everything,loaded dodgy copy of windows on to save a few quid,but this time i just cant be arsed so i'd rather just buy a full package like those ive linked there
    It will work out about the same as a console really,as i'd have to get the PS3 & the HDTV to play it on which in total would come to over a grand,and il get more use out of the PC anyway

Administrator

England
    In the past ive always built my own system from scratch,bought a few components a month and put it all together once i had everything,loaded dodgy copy of windows on to save a few quid,but this time i just cant be arsed so i'd rather just buy a full package like those ive linked there
    It will work out about the same as a console really,as i'd have to get the PS3 & the HDTV to play it on which in total would come to over a grand,and il get more use out of the PC anyway
    That Novatech one looks pretty interesting!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wonder what it would be like on my:-
    P4 3Ghz@3.2
    ATI XT800 overclocked
    2Gb ram

That's a lower spec' than yours ain't it?
    Umm, just a tad, yes, but not by much I don't think. You have more RAM than me, which is going to help a LOT in this game, but I've never looked at the specs of the ATI XT800 card, so I can't comment on that one just yet. Need to do some research. If the card is pretty up there in ATI's line of cards (like one of the top 2 or 3 generations of cards) you will probably be in the same boat as me - but again, i don't know the exact specs of your vid card, so I can't say 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hmmm ... I played the MP Beta Demo on my rig, which is definitely "minimum specs" for this game, and it ran quite well, some lag on some parts, but certainly no crawl ... it wasn't standard lag either, almost like a slower refresh rate to the image ... if that makes any sense.
    MZ - remember, I had graphics on medium, but textures, shadows, and special fx cranked or damn close to it (that's the default for "medium" settings). Even though I backed those 3 settings off a bit and it ran smoother, it definitely brought my system to it's knees in certain intense parts before I lowered them. So much so I had to back off the graphics a bit to get smoother gameplay. I will say this: all I did was back off the texture quality a notch, turned off 'high quality shadows' (is that really a necessary option!?) and backed off the FX a bit. That's all. Once I did that it ran smoothly, but I full well expected my 7900GS to not even BLINK during this game.

Consider this: I play Quake 4, BF2, FarCry, and UT2k4 with the graphics cranked on MAX, and I still get incredible framerates.

Obviously I had to dial the graphics down a bit for it in some respects, but they weren't crash-bottom either ... besides, STALKER apparently has the ability to be jigged about a lot in the settings, and can go all the way down to DirectX 8, perhaps even 7, can't remember. But I'm rocking 9.0c ... so I think I'll be fine for STALKER (I F*CKING WELL HOPE SO OR I'M GOING POSTAL ON YOU ALL!!! ... unless you all buy me a monster gaming rig...then I'll just flick you or pinch you on the arm... ) ... and I'll be fine for the coming final episodes of HL2, the only thing that slowed me down there was the HDR lighting, and even then I still played through Ep1 twice with it enabled, so it wasn't all bad - I've played at worse levels of speed (e.g. Max Payne 2 on my laptop back in the day, lol ... oh that wasn't good ).

This may very well be true. I don't know - like I said, I only messed with it for 45 minutes and that was it, and from what I saw, this is probably the most graphic-intense game i've ever seen, and I play a boatload of games as you know. There are LOTS of ways to tweak the graphics in Stalker, but as I said, the default "medium" killed my machine in a few spots. That, to me, is friggin' INSANE. I could understand if it was set on "HIGH" or "REALLY HIGH" settings - I would expected it to be bumpy in certain spots, but on MEDIUM? My video card should've tore through it faster than Michael Jackson going through kids at a daycare center. (sorry, I couldn't think of a better anaolgy)

See, a new gaming rig - too expensive for me, I'd have to overhaul my existing PC, but I'd rather spend less and get a console and not have to worry about upgrading ... in a few years, at most when Xbox360 etc are being replaced, then I'll get jiggy with the PC again ... and take a step back in time with all the games I'll probably end up skipping on, and be able to rock all their cocks at full speed, haha!
    MZ - the line of price difference between the new console gaming systems and computers is being blurred every day. That rig I listed on the previous page? The case, motherboard, CPU chip, heatsink & fan (a Zalmon, not the standard stock AMD heatsinks) and power supply was only $700 USD for me. That, if you ask me, ain't bad when you take into consideration what the price of a PS3 or Xbox360 w/external HD-DVD drive. All you'd need then is a good card (my 7900GS only cost me $169 after a $20 rebate from newegg.com). I used the RAM from my previous machine, as well as the hard drives and optical drives - so basically, I got that rig for $869. That is actually a killer deal, considering the CPU chip alone (the FX-60) was selling for $500 on newegg when I bought this barebones system.

I'm not saying people with lesser systems won't be able to play it - I just wanted ya'll to know that you're going to have to back off the graphics settings BIG TIME to get it to run smoothly. This game is so friggin' processor and graphic card processor intensive, it's insane.

Just expect to have to bump them settings back a bit to get it to run smoothly.

LC

***edited to add:

Intel is the processor to get at the moment though if you can by the looks of it!
    *grabs a newspaper and smacks neil with it*

BAD Neil, BAD! Don't tell him that!

I couldn't resist, sorry.. I'm a proponent of AMD and have been for many many years, and with good reason. They've always been more efficient chips than Intel (it takes less instructions on an AMD chip to process info than an Intel - which equates out to more efficieny and more speed) however, the AMD/Intel debate is almost as inane as the Chevy/Ford debate - know what I mean? Having said that, Intel is indeed closing the gap on AMD again. They were ahead, then AMD surpassed them, now they're trying for the lead again.

Seriously, even though I personally dig AMD the best, I don't think it's the best for everyone. My advice to someone buying a new computer is: research, read, know everything about everything on the market today, and buy the system that best suits your needs and the best system you can afford. If you do that, you'll be happy with your purchase.

Just had to mess with ya about the Intel/AMD thing.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 21-Mar-2007 at 04:42 PM.

England
    That Novatech one looks pretty interesting!
    Yeah they are a good company as well,ive bought all my components from them in the past
    The reason one of those PC's is more expensive is the memory on the graphics card,but apparently the 320mb one is ample for anything that il be throwing at it in the next couple of years,plus its DX10 compatible which is all important now!i reckon il probably go for the novatech one in the end

Administrator

England
    apparently the 320mb one is ample for anything that il be throwing at it in the next couple of years,plus its DX10 compatible which is all important now!
    You sure about that?

Also, the MB isn't listed? If it's SLI compataible (which I suspect it wouldn't be) then you always have the option in 2yrs time on just adding on another similar graphics card to double performance!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    You sure about that?

Also, the MB isn't listed? If it's SLI compataible (which I suspect it wouldn't be) then you always have the option in 2yrs time on just adding on another similar graphics card to double performance!
    Aye i did my research both of those cards on the novatech PCs are the 8800GTS which is DX10 compatible,but if you look the cheaper of those it has a 320mb card while the other has 640mb.The more expensive one also has a bigger hard drive & the processor is slightly faster.But in going with the cheaper i still reckon il be getting a top kick arse gaming rig that should see me for a couple of years,and i see what your saying about adding another card in SLI at a later date

Ive always gone for AMD in the past and still would,but there doesnt appear to be many AMD ready built systems about at the moment,and as i said i cant be arsed to build bit by bit this time around

Super Moderator

UK
    If I flew that way, I'd suck AMD's dong in a heartbeat, but I don't fly into that wind, so I'll just give a thumbs up - not up an ass or anything, just in the air...

Anyway, surely there's an option on STALKER that will automatically configure the game to the settings it feels are best suited to your rig? I use that a lot, then tweak things I know I've had trouble with...then of course some games on some systems just run like ass ... for instance, I installed True Crime: NYC and it ran LIKE A TOTAL LOAD OF OLD PENIS IN TREACLE WITH CONCRETE ON TOP!

It was seriously that bad, everything took 5 times as long to do as anything else, and it wasn't even a game with good graphics for the PC at that stage, and my computer was totally capable of splitting it's ass wide open. For instance, Doom 3, FarCry, Half Life 2, Call of Duty 2 - all fine and dandy on my system, especially HL2 which I run at 1280x1024 resolution.

There'll be a combo of settings in STALKER that will suit me, I believe in it, I have all this time, so I ain't about to quit now ... it's kinda like my own personal God ... I don't pray to it ... or hang it around my neck ... or cover my body with it ... or change anything about myself for it...what was I on about? Oh yeah - there's settings in there for me, I'm used to cranking down for games anyway, and even with the game pulled down a bit I still thought it looked good, really gritty and realistic and scary, fine with me.

Xbox 360 (especially a core system) is cheaper for me right now to continue my gaming, plus I could do without all the hassle of upgrading and drivers and all that piss covered bullshiite...been too long since my last console (Mega Drive 2 circa 1993)...besides, I can't continue without PGR3 in my life! I SIMPLY MUST DRIVE A DB9 AROUND THE NURBURGRING!!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    If I flew that way, I'd suck AMD's dong in a heartbeat, but I don't fly into that wind, so I'll just give a thumbs up - not up an ass or anything, just in the air...

Anyway, surely there's an option on STALKER that will automatically configure the game to the settings it feels are best suited to your rig? I use that a lot, then tweak things I know I've had trouble with...then of course some games on some systems just run like ass ... for instance, I installed True Crime: NYC and it ran LIKE A TOTAL LOAD OF OLD PENIS IN TREACLE WITH CONCRETE ON TOP!
    That's exactly what it did for me, MZ. It auto-detected me to a "Medium" setting, but it was still way too much for my system to handle in a few spots.. I hate saying that, 'cause I know damn well my system isn't a slug, but geez, I thought even the medium setting would be too little and I could bump up the graphics a tad - not so on this game!

There'll be a combo of settings in STALKER that will suit me, I believe in it, I have all this time, so I ain't about to quit now ...
    Oh, no, don't let my inital warning stop you from playing it or even checking it out. Again, I just wanted to state my pure shock at how hard on my computer this game really is. I don't want anyone to think "hey, this isn't gonna run on my system" - but, you should be forewarned, you're gonna need to knock back the graphics detail a LOT if your system is over even a year old.

Xbox 360 (especially a core system) is cheaper for me right now to continue my gaming, plus I could do without all the hassle of upgrading and drivers and all that piss covered bullshiite...been too long since my last console (Mega Drive 2 circa 1993)...besides, I can't continue without PGR3 in my life! I SIMPLY MUST DRIVE A DB9 AROUND THE NURBURGRING!!!
    Whoa, the last console you had was the MegaDrive 2? HOLY SH*T, MZ, GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

LC

Administrator

England
    Aye i did my research both of those cards on the novatech PCs are the 8800GTS which is DX10 compatible,but if you look the cheaper of those it has a 320mb card while the other has 640mb.The more expensive one also has a bigger hard drive & the processor is slightly faster.But in going with the cheaper i still reckon il be getting a top kick arse gaming rig that should see me for a couple of years,and i see what your saying about adding another card in SLI at a later date

Ive always gone for AMD in the past and still would,but there doesnt appear to be many AMD ready built systems about at the moment,and as i said i cant be arsed to build bit by bit this time around
    No, I'm specifically asking about not needing more than 320meg? I know with some of the games last year 512meg cards seemed to start showing advantages over 256meg cards... And I can only image DX10 will need even more memory ideally!?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I think, when those DX10 games start flooding the market, we better all have 8800GT cards (or equivilants) in SLI mode or we're all screwed.

I just heard about the nvidia 9700 cards that will be hitting the market the next go-around. OMFG, they're INCREDIBLE. Lets just say this: almost double (if not more) of the pixel pipelines currently available on any video card - with, get this, 1gb of onboard video memory!

Talk about pitching a tent! "Dude, I think I just filled the cup!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Whoa, the last console you had was the MegaDrive 2? HOLY SH*T, MZ, GET WITH THE PROGRAM!
    I know! That's another reason why I want a 360, get up-to-date and stay there for about 5 years for a change.

Hopefully STALKER will work like it did in the demo I played, if not a bit better. Maybe they'll put out a patch to improve the game's efficiency, sometimes that's the case, like Hitman Blood Money - ran like complete ass out of the box, but with the patch it smoothed that shiite right out.

hehe, that sumbitch is on it's way to me as I type, in the postal system getting felt up by a hundred different randy hands all equally as ready to bust a nut as me.

They must release a patch, surely, to improve efficiency and square away some issues they couldn't solve before the final code had to go out, all games do that, and they boasted about it being workable at decent enough graphics on a wide range of systems, even those dating back to when it was supposed to come out ... anyway...erm...I've ran out of things to say ... BYE!

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I think, when those DX10 games start flooding the market, we better all have 8800GT cards (or equivilants) in SLI mode or we're all screwed.

I just heard about the nvidia 9700 cards that will be hitting the market the next go-around. OMFG, they're INCREDIBLE. Lets just say this: almost double (if not more) of the pixel pipelines currently available on any video card - with, get this, 1gb of onboard video memory!

Talk about pitching a tent! "Dude, I think I just filled the cup!"
    *gulp*

Gimme a bucket to fill, please...

I used to say "one of these days I'll get a 360" ... well, that's coming soon I hope ...*notices there's a swig of Robinson's left un-swigged ... swigs it ... lovely*... so after that I can start saying "one of these days I'm gonna sex up an epic gaming rig that'll kick everything's ass"...and I will, oh...I will.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Mar-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost